graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Buddy Holly
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Buddy Holly
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

What's the general opinion of this album? I've never heard it myself, but I'm a fan of Buddy holly (the late singer songwriter) & I also think their 1966 cut of 'Take Your Time' is one of the greatest records ever made - a near-perfect jangly update with incredible harmonies! I'd LOVE an entire Hollies album like this, but I know I'll dislike it if it's full of horrible 80s keyboards...

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Peter

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 21:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The last time I've listened to it I didn't like it at all. Could be that my opinion would change a bit to the better if I would hear it again but now I think it's the worst album they've ever made. They've softened nearly all of the songs, put keyboards and synths on it and made them worse than the original versions. The ugliest being Peggy Sue... I can't imagine anyone wanting a disco version of that song.
I looked forward to it, too because the Hollies are also a good cover band and I like the Dylan album quite a lot although it has some weak points but they have really done something with the songs. On Buddy Holly they have also changed a lot of the arrangements but not to the better in my opinion. Don't expect too much of it, maybe than you like it more than I do.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
The last time I've listened to it I didn't like it at all. Could be that my opinion would change a bit to the better if I would hear it again but now I think it's the worst album they've ever made. They've softened nearly all of the songs, put keyboards and synths on it and made them worse than the original versions. The ugliest being Peggy Sue... I can't imagine anyone wanting a disco version of that song.
I looked forward to it, too because the Hollies are also a good cover band and I like the Dylan album quite a lot although it has some weak points but they have really done something with the songs. On Buddy Holly they have also changed a lot of the arrangements but not to the better in my opinion. Don't expect too much of it, maybe than you like it more than I do.

Thanks. I'll probably check it out eventually.

I must admit I didn't like what they did to 'Peggy Sue Got Married' a few years back...

Peter

PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Distant Lights' assessment of "Buddy Holly" is pretty accurate. I think what is "wrong" with the album was its timing - 1980. Naturally, The Hollies wanted to create a modern sounding album and this they did but sadly like a lot of music from that time, it doesn't sound at all good today. Had it been recorded before 1975 I think it would be more listenable with less synths and a more "natural" band sound.

Three tracks from it stand out for me though. "Think It Over" is very lively and enjoyable - great work from Bobby on that one... rather "tribal" in a way! "Midnight Shift" is raucous with a nice rocking brass section and a great rock n'roll styled vocal from Allan. These two tracks are clearly the most "rocky" tracks overall which after a couple of ballad heavy albums come as a nice treat and are the closest in spirit to Buddy Hollys' rock and roll music that inspired the band in the first place. "Everyday" is perhaps a little on the "slushy" side (keyboards and a rather cheesy sax part blight it) but I foind the rearrangement charming... slowed down a bit and lovely harmonies and what I feel is an emotional vocal from Allan.

The rest though is definitely a mixed bag. Why it all ends with a completely pointless "reprise" is beyond me since it is merely a very badly done collage of moments from all the songs on the album...

It is a fairly important album in the bands' history since it was the final one to feature the much loved Terry Sylvester and Bernie Calvert. It is worth picking up if you find it at a decent cheap-ish price, but a classic Hollies album it definitely is not.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I would have to say I'm not a fan, I always thought the Hollies would have been better doing their own material, the same goes for the Dylan one too. I know Allan was a big Buddy Holly fan.

PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:26 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Jepp5 Post subject:

I actually enjoy this album quite a bit. I like Buddy Holly. I like the Hollies. The combination seemed to make perfect sense. And, of course, over here in the States it was pretty difficult to find a copy of it. After searching so long I was just thrilled to actually get my hands on the album. The fact that it contains some great music was a nice bonus.

"Take Your Time," "Midnight Shift" and "Everyday" are highlights, but my favorite is "What to Do." It's beautiful song with absolutely first rate vocals from Allan. If I were going to list my five all time favorite Hollies songs, "What to Do" would definitely make the list.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 26, 2005 21:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The problem that plagued the Buddy Holly album is the same problem with Dylan album; overfamiliar material. It's difficult to put a fresh slant on songs that have been through the mill already. I like about 4 tracks on each. But a whole album of cover versions by one writer is just too much.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 0:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Peter,

I agree that the 1960's LP version of "Take Your Time" is a wonderful piece of music.

I must protest, though, the dismissal of the 1980 LP of Holly music. Yes, it goes a bit overboard on the synthesizers - or at least, what sounds like synthesizers. I also don't like the failure to give Sylvester a lead vocal on any song.

However, there's a lot to be said for the record, and any Hollies completist should own it (as he should any all of their original material albums).

I happen to like the intro to Peggy Sue. Tell Me How, Take Your Time, Heartbeat, Think It Over, and What To Do are all very good. And heck, if you can find a record with six enjoyable tracks, that's worth a purchase, right?

Buy it, you'll like it. Besides, it's part of a 4-disc group of original LP's combined in a sort of box set. Surely, there's enough material there among those four albums for you to want to own it. Right?
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree about the 1966 version of "Take Your Time"; it is excellent. The same can be said about "Don't You Even Care". The Hollies' version of "I Am a Rock" is much better than the dreary Simon & Garfunkel original. "Would You Believe" is one of their best early LPs.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I agree about the 1966 version of "Take Your Time"; it is excellent. The same can be said about "Don't You Even Care". The Hollies' version of "I Am a Rock" is much better than the dreary Simon & Garfunkel original. "Would You Believe" is one of their best early LPs.

That run of albums from 'Would You Believe', through 'For Certain Because' to 'Evolution' were unbelievable! Definately my favourite period. 'Butterfly' was a little more patchy for me (like 'Sgt. Pepper', some of the actual songs were a bit weak).

If I had to pick a favourite then it would have to be 'Evolution'. Like the Stones' under-rated 'Between The Buttons' from the same period, they'd moved on from beat/R&B, but hadn't fully embraced psychedelia yet. I'll get around to reviewing it for this forum eventually...

Peter

PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 15:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think Buddy Holly is a good album, it would have sounded contemporary at the time and has aged pretty well. A nice, 'safe' record.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 12, 2006 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1