The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Terry Sylvester's departure
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I dig everything about the Rickfors period; live in concert, TV appearances, recordings, and the way the band looked. I simply will not sway in my opinion; the Rickfors period was the best overall. There was more of a balance within the band. If Clarke was so essential to their sound, why didn't they make more first-rate albums after the '74 reunion? Everything after that was sub-par. There isn't one album from '75 on that was really good. The calculator album was probably the best of the lot, but even that was too low-key.

And why is it that they didn't have a giant hit until Allan returned? The fact is that the public knew the Hollies as Allan Clarke first & foremost & had difficulty accepting anyone else, as they'll always do no matter how good the records are.

Also, I think we could say the same about most acts after circa 1975. Compare 'Sticky Fingers' to 'Black & Blue', 'Who's Next' to 'Who By Numbers', 'Band On The Run' to 'London Town', 'Four Symbols' to 'In Through The Out Door', etc. Most of the 60s 'greats' simply seemed to run out of inspiration.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:16 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
If Clarke was so essential to their sound, why didn't they make more first-rate albums after the '74 reunion? Everything after that was sub-par. There isn't one album from '75 on that was really good. The calculator album was probably the best of the lot, but even that was too low-key.

That is just your opinion. Saying that everything they did after '74 was sub-par is your view but a lot of people on the forum have different opinions about that as you can see in the lists of the favorite albums or the review section.
I think most albums after '74 were also very strong records. Well written and performed and entertaining. Another Night, Write On, Russian Roulette, A Crazy Steal. In my opinion these are all great records. The "calculator"-one is in my opinion the worst of the 70s albums although also good.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
'Who's Next' to 'Who By Numbers'.

I think 'Who By Numbers' is a very strong album, although not as brilliant as 'Who's Next' which the band have never been able to surpass, it's just on a different level. WBN demonstrated Townshend's doubting of his own fame and even Entwistle's 'Success Story' on the album makes fun of the whole band situation.

As regards The Hollies, I think there is plenty of good material after Clarke's return in '73. Probably the weakest in my opinion is 'Russian Roulette' although even it has its redeeming points. 'A Crazy Steal' (except Clown Service) and '5317704' are both superb, very classy albums which have aged very well.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Quote:
If Clarke was so essential to their sound, why didn't they make more first-rate albums after the '74 reunion? Everything after that was sub-par. There isn't one album from '75 on that was really good. The calculator album was probably the best of the lot, but even that was too low-key.

That is just your opinion. Saying that everything they did after '74 was sub-par is your view but a lot of people on the forum have different opinions about that as you can see in the lists of the favorite albums or the review section.
I think most albums after '74 were also very strong records. Well written and performed and entertaining. Another Night, Write On, Russian Roulette, A Crazy Steal. In my opinion these are all great records. The "calculator"-one is in my opinion the worst of the 70s albums although also good.

Well, it's certainly true that they weren't so commercially successful.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
DistantLight wrote:
Quote:

The 1st Rickfors line-up album was a commercial flop - so much so that the follow-up wasn't even released in most countries. So it wasn't the return of Allan that started their commercial decline. His return actually turned things around for a while.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 13:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:

Who cares if they were commercially successful? The quality of the music is what counts. Returning to a theme visited elsewhere on this messageboard, the band have been dogged by poor choices of singles being released - 'I'm Down' Shocked for example. Great song, not so great single choice.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 14:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

This discussion has gone way off topic and is now locked.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 14:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3