The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » UK R&R Hall Of Fame
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Bobby Elliot is the greatest rock drummer of all time!

He's excellent, in the Top 10 near the top for sure, but not as good as say Keith Moon, Carl Palmer or Neil Peart.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 16:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Keith Moon, I don't care for his style; too manic. Carl Palmer, don't care for that prog-rock stuff ( I like "Lucky Man", though). The last guy I've never heard of. So Bobby Elliot is still the best in my book. NOBODY does a drum roll as well as him. Of course, it's rather flippant of me to say Bobby is the best. Yes, there are many other drummers who are great, too. It's just that when I first heard "Bus Stop", the thing that really struck me, over and above the harmonies, was the drumming. I hadn't ever heard anything quite like that before. I have other favorites, too. The drummer for the power pop cult band Big Star, Jody Stephens, is superb. Yes, Mick Tucker from The Sweet. Another great drummer from the '70s is Dale ("Buffin") Griffin of Mott the Hoople. Very powerful drum sound. "Goin' Back" to The Byrds, I also think they are over-rated. Their albums, at least up to "Younger than Yesterday", are all patchy to my ears. Crosby's songs are weak, and some of their covers ("Oh Susannah"?, "We'll Meet Again"?) are questionable to say the least. Gene Clark was, however, a BIG asset to the band, contributing the strongest material, including my fave Byrds track "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better" as well as superb songs like "If You're Gone" and "Set You Free This Time", and he had a lot to do with the creation of "Eight Miles High".
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 17:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On Moon. I know that he is very highly rated and innovative and all of that BUT I sometimes think he sounds too much like Keith Moon doing his Keith Moon- thing. His drumming can be a bit familiar from song to song and bit overly Keith Moon-ish! I wonder would he be just as good drumming on a country song or a folk song etc. like Bobby is.

I kind of think that about The Who in general all of the members suited The Who perfectly but could they have made a country album?

Micheal
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 19:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

MichealC wrote:
On Moon. I know that he is very highly rated and innovative and all of that BUT I sometimes think he sounds too much like Keith Moon doing his Keith Moon- thing. His drumming can be a bit familiar from song to song and bit overly Keith Moon-ish! I wonder would he be just as good drumming on a country song or a folk song etc. like Bobby is.

Micheal

Very true and a good point Michael. Theres the story of one track he just couldn't play on the "Who Are You" album and they had to get somebody else to play the part. Moon wasn't too hurt by this, quipping "Ah yes, but I'm the best Keith Moon drummer in the world!" which to me is admitting his own limitations.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 19:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
He's excellent, in the Top 10 near the top for sure, but not as good as say Keith Moon, Carl Palmer or Neil Peart.

I have to disagree with you about that. First of all it's hard to judge who is better when we speak of such "high-level" drummers and it relies heaviely on your tastes if you like someone or not.
The "problem" with Keith Moon is that when you like his style you love him but if you don't (and I know someone who doesn't like it at all; he says he relies to much on showing off) you can't stand him at all. In my opinion he adds lots of power to the songs and the Who wouldn't have been the same without him - there is and was just not anyobody like him before or after. The difference to Elliot is that I can't imagine somebody saying he can't stand him at all. For some people Keith Moon can ruin songs (especially live). And technically Keith Moon can't compete on any level with Bobby. He can do some things that Keith just wasn't able to do - if we judge by sheer power I would agree that Moon wins over Elliot although Elliot could make the Hollies sound very powerful, too (Crocodile Woman for example, I don't think Keith Moon could have played that without lots of prectice).

Carl Palmer was very good, I own some albums by ELP but I haven't listened to them very often but I would also not agree with you that he is necesarily better tha Elliot.

And Neil Peart was of course excellent technically although I'm not the biggest Rush fan around (the albums I have are quite nice, though).

Another great drummer is and was Ian Paice of Deep Purple (who named in an interview I've read with him Bobby Elliot as one of his favorite drummers) and Pete Spencer of Smokie is also one of my favorites.

And I have bought the second Blood, Sweat and Tears album and the guy who plays on that one, whoever it is, plays also very professinally. Great album by the way.

And although technically of course not one of the top drummers, Ringo Starr is a very inventive drummer (Come Together, In My Life and many more) and also very underrated. He did some unusual things which made him stand out from others.

Charlie Watts is a drummer I can't stand at all. I've never liked him but especially on the new Stones album I think he plays very very bad. From the well known drummers he is my disfavorite I guess.

Quote:
my personal all time fave drummer is Tony Williams who was the drummer with The Miles Davis Quintet in the mid to late 60s

I only own "Kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis so I don't know him but there are some incredibly good jazz drummers. I must check him out when I see an album for a good price.

Quote:
Then what about The Sweets' unique 4 part harmonies? I admit The Sweet may not be to everybodys taste or liking in this forum, but as I'm sure you'll agree, during their glory years with Brian Connolly, those harmonies were fantastic and unique to their sound as The Hollies harmonies are unique to theirs.

With those harmonies it also depends on your tastes. I like them very much, technically they are great and difficult to perform. Do you know "Stairway Top The Stars"? Just listen to that high voice who sings in the background in the chorus... I have thought that singing so high was impossible for a man but after hearing this I had to change my opinion. This is the highest male voice I've ever heard. And in an interview that I've read somewhere they have said that they never speeded anything up to make their voices higher, they used no tricks for the harmonies.
Uriah Heep sometimes used that same kind of harmony style (by the way Lee Kerslake also played very good - on Fallen Angel his drum work reached its peak in my opinion).

Another favorite of mine are the Marmalade, they also knew how to record great harmonies, and Smokie did some nice harmony singing, too.

And of course the Beatles harmonies can't be topped. Their voices just fitted perfectly together and there are very few bands who are in the same league as the Beatles were, judging by the harmony vocals.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 19:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2