The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Peter Howarth
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
I didn't know that they did it as early as 1988 but these songs are all very hard to sing and he sang pretty high in the early days so it's no wonder that he couldn't reach all those notes when he got older.
In 1999 Allan Clarke participated in the "Portraits of Bob Dylan" album by former Yes guitarist Steve Howe and he sings on "Don't Think Twice It's All Right".
When I first heard it (thanks to MichaelC. !) I didn't even recognize it because his voice has changed, got deeper and rougher. When Michael told me that it's Allan who sings it I immidiatly recognized his voice and his pronounciation and I must say that I like his "new" voice a lot. Of course it sound partly different but also very very good when you get over the fact that he doesn't sound like he used to.
So if someone is interested in how he sounds now (well in 1999) you could buy this album.
By the way, did he make other "new" vocal recordings after "The Woman I Love" from 1993?
Allan should record another solo album. In the booklet of the boxset there is written that he still writes songs for fun so he should have some material ready.
Maybe when the Hollies record the album and it gets quite succesful he will take the chance to jump on the wagon and record an album himself. I would love to have a new one by him (I would prefer it over a new (not self written) Hollies album I must admit).

I think he's just unlucky that he lost his vocal range in later years. Does he smoke? Paul McCartney is in his 60s, yet he still sings 'Maybe I'm Amazed', 'Sgt. Pepper', 'Band On The Run' & all those other songs in exactly the same keys. Similarly, Jerry Lee Lewis (aged 70) has lost nearly all his vocal abilities - yet Chuck Berry (aged 79!) still sings songs like 'Maybelline' in the same key - & still duckwalks across the stage!

Having said this I hope we haven't heard the last of Alan either. I'm not putting down Carl, Peter or Mikail, but I can't help thinking that The Hollies without Alan Clarke is comparable to The Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger or The Who without Roger Daltrey...

Peter

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 15:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2