The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Rare Hollies TOTP Pic Unearthed
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello again Michael!
That BBC tracklisting certainly looks very interesting! I do know that some of those numbers were recorded with orchestral accompaniment in late 1967 for BBC radios' "Top Gear". My records don't mention "Wings" and I'd not heard of it featuring alternate lyrics before! It is possible they performed these songs on "Colour Me Pop" and as you point out, this is a real loss to all of us.

It also raises another BBC related topic which I'm certain has been debated in these pages before. It baffles me how over the last 20 years virtually every great group (and many not so great!) from the 60s have had albums devoted to their BBC radio sessions and yet theres absolutely nothing available or released of The Hollies many sessions. With the new album due for next February, I guess such a project will not see the light of day for quite some time now. This is a real pity since it would be great to hear whats left of the sessions.

One reason BBC sessions are so interesting is that they often feature songs the act never recorded officially. The only info I have is of the 1967 Top Gear session. Does anyone have any idea of what unique songs The Hollies performed for BBC radio that was never attempted in Abbey Road? More to the point, does anyone know what has survived?
Many thanks,
BAZ
PostPosted:Tue Sep 20, 2005 18:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Baz, don't leave it there! Spill about the BBC sessions you know about! I think it was very common for bands to record coversof other peoples songs. The BBC basically got them to record things to fill up time.

I know of an early session where they do some things like Keep Off That Friend of Mine live and the latter one I mentioned with Johnny Scott, hosted by Brian Matthews.

There is also a '71/2 session before Allan departed where they do Hang On/ LCW and another number but what I've hear dof this isn't actually live.

Any details on interesting sessions or sets?

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Sep 20, 2005 18:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello again!
OK... Just dug out my copy of "In Session Tonight" by Ken Garner which was published in 1993 and lists all the John Peel sessions and details over the years. What follows are all the details on The Hollies in the listing.

Their first broadcast was on the Light Programme on 7th June 1963, which led to "dozens" od radio sessions.

The 1967 Top Gear session was recorded on 13th October 1967 and broadcast on the 22nd of that month. Backed by a 14 piece orchestra conducted by Johnny Scott, they performed:
Games We Play
Step Inside
King Midas In Reverse (which would have been the latest single)
Postcard
Charlie and Fred and
Away Away Away.

Thats all the details on The Hollies I'm afraid! It certainly sounds like an interesting session and one I'd love to hear. Sadly, again, theres no detail as to whether this has survived or not, but since by this time, Top Gear tracks were regularly "borrowed" and used in Brian Mathews' "Top Of The Pops" radio show which was sold abroad, I'd guess its likely that 2 or 3 of these tracks have survived.

I have been trying to get details or a recording of their appearance on "Pop Goes The Beatles" in 1963. It appears all of these were recorded off-air by various fans and these recordings were drawn upon for the "Beatles At The BBC" release. In each show, they would play various numbers as well as feature a special guest group of which one week, The Hollies did the honours. Unfortunately, I've not found any of their performances since the bootleggers simply concentrate on The Beatles so none of the special guest spots have surfaced though I've no doubt these would have been recorded as well by fans.

Interestingly, given John Lennons' intense dislike of The Hollies, the special guests would be recorded at a separate session, so the bands would not have met at this time. This is an intriguing point since on the 1975 Old Grey Whistle Test interview, Lennon reminisces that one of his first headlines was "Lennon Blasts Hollies!" I understand the harmonies weren't to his liking but knowing Lennon there would have been more to it than that!

Of course a little later it was George Harrisons' turn to "blast" them for their cover of "If I Needed Someone" (which incidentally I much prefer to the Beatles version!) I am trying to gather what info I can on The Hollies and The Beatles since though I cannot see him on the video, Graham Nash was apparently present at the famous "All You Need Is Love" session and he worked with McCartney and brother Mike on the "McGough and McGear" album contributing unmistakeable harmonies to a track called "Ex Art Student". I actually played a track off this album a month ago on a temporary local radio station in which a friend of mine had a three hour weekly show. Since he had mentioned the fact Jimi Hendrix appeared on it, I played the first track, "So Much In Love" featuring Hendrix.

Hendrix also appears on the aforementioned "Ex Art Student", jamming alongside Dave Mason on Sitar and an unidentified flautist. I know that Graham Nash also guested on his classic track "If 6 Was 9" from the same time. The story goes that Hendrix asked Nash and Gary Leeds of The Walker Brothers if they could "walk". Nash replied "well, I've been known to!" and so they all ended up walking over this staircase which ended up being used in the track. This info comes from Eddie Kramers and John Dermotts' book "Setting The Record Straight" and focuses mainly on the mans' recording sessions.

Anyway. Hope this info is of interest and no doubt like myself, you'll be wishing there was more info to be had as well as copies for us to hear!
Take care.
BAZ
PostPosted:Tue Sep 20, 2005 19:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

OK. Just a quick follow up to the above post. I have just put in a request on the Missing Episodes forum for any details of Hollies radio appearances since this forum also covers radio as well as television.

I will post any details I get as and when it comes in! Keep your fingers crossed!
BAZ
PostPosted:Tue Sep 20, 2005 19:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject: Too young to be married
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Too young is on a various artists DVD from I guess Holland, live in studio. Great!

Knut
PostPosted:Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: Too young to be married
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut,

Do you know what country or era Too Young is from? Is it the German Disco show where the credits roll instead of showing Tony's "solo"?

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic