graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Lucky Thirteen
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
ChrissieB Post subject: Lucky Thirteen

Got my tickets to see the boys at the RAH in eight weeks time. Yes just fifty-six days to go. I had to look back through my ticket collection to count how many times I've seen the Hollies. This will be the twelfth concert and the thirteenth if you count the recording of a show I saw at Golders Green way back in '69. They were guest artists on the BBC recording of the Bobby Gentry Show. Anyone remember that out there? It was around the time the Dylan album was released, so I guess they must have sung a song or two from that. Think they would have been wearing the white suits too.

There's nothing quite like nostalgia. Wink

Chris
PostPosted:Fri Sep 02, 2005 17:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I believe they performed "Louisiana Man" on that 1969 Bobbie Gentry show! According to the 1988 Record Collector interview they said that they did this track and spurred by its reaction toyed with the idea of a "Hollies Sing Country" album and indeed "Louisiana Man" was recorded but I think they felt the idea was a little out of their depth, the idea was scrapped and the recording didn't see the light of day until the 1988 "Rarities" album. A wise decision I think!

I'm not sure if this is the performance that still exists in the BBC archive. I believe a Bobbie Gentry Show performance featuring "Going To The Zoo" has survived though...
PostPosted:Fri Sep 02, 2005 18:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
ChrissieB Post subject:

Now the memory can play tricks, but Going to the Zoo was recorded by Julie Felix amongst others. Could she have been another of the guest artists on the show and therefore this is the archive that has survived? It was a long time ago, but just maybe I saw Julie that evening.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 02, 2005 18:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks for clearing that up... I got a little muddled there with my info and somehow confused Bobbie Gentry with Julie Felix! One of my big interests is archive television up to the mid 1970s since as many of you know, far too many TV shows from before the mid 70s were either never recorded or wiped.

You mentioned Julie Felix and that cleared it up for me! "Going To The Zoo" was indeed from "The Julie Felix Show" and it is an edition that has survived. I got it muddled up with Bobbie Gentry since The Hollies did both shows in the late 1960s. I know that only a handful of each respective show has survived and in the case of Bobbie Gentry, out of 2 series, just 4 editions were kept.

The "Julie Felix Show" ran for several series and featured many fascinating guests - its legendary for the fact it featured one of the only UKTV appearances of The Incredible String Band as well as many by Bert Jansch, all lost from the BBC archive, though Jimmy Pages' rare solo performance from early 1970 is from a show that did survive.

Apologies for the momentary confusion!
PostPosted:Fri Sep 02, 2005 18:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's a shame to think of all the TV that's been lost by the BBC, they made some great stuff but didn't hang on to it. Colour Me Pop with The Hollies from '69 would be very interesting but it's gone!!!

Did whoever made Ready Steady Go hold on to the tapes? I've never seen The Hollies on this show though I know they did appear regularly.

Michael
PostPosted:Sat Sep 03, 2005 0:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Ready Steady Go!... Now theres a legal minefield. In the early 70s; Dave Clark bought a batch of film cans dsicovered in Rediffusions old building containing RSG material. He released this in the early 80s on video and had it shown on TV. The results were dire... the original shows had been chopped and mixed up and somehow the Dave Clark Five appeared in every show with performances not from RSG.

I was bitterly disappointed to see no sign of The Hollies, The Kinks, The Zombies, The Yardbirds and Manfred Mann who amongst others were regulars on the show. Sandie Shaw was angered by Dave Clark making money from this material and whats more he now claimed he had the complete rights to the show.

Since then odd footage has turned up but as soon as it does, Dave Clarks' lawyers are straight into action. There was once a public screening of an episiode arranged but the film was seized by Clarks' solicitors. In 1997, 35 lost episodes turned up. We are still waiting to find out what shows they are - absolutely no detail has surfaced since.

I believe that Dave Clark probably now has at least one Hollies performance, but whether he will ever release it, let alone give us a chance to see it remains to be seen. The man works in strange ways - the Dave Clark Fives' recordings are no longer available once again and absolutely none of their original albums have ever been re-issued.

A sad state of affairs since its also known that he has copies of other reported to be lost shows in his archives. And thats all that can be said regarding to whether any Hollies RSG appearances exist or not.
PostPosted:Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

I taped that Julie Felix/ Hollies on to my reel to reel tape off the telly around 1970.
Kept it for years but doubt if it is still around the house anywhere, unfortunately.
PostPosted:Sat Sep 03, 2005 15:54 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the information, Baz.

I've often wondered why DC doesn't release some sort of CD when he famously owns all of the rights etc. I heard Bits and Pieces on the radio once several months ago, I'm going to go nuts if I don't hear it again...

I presume owning a physical copy of RSG does not bestow the rights of the show. So what network orignally made it?

Isn't it strange that both Dave Clark and Dick Clarke hoard pop footage?

Micheal
PostPosted:Sat Sep 03, 2005 18:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

MichealC wrote:

I presume owning a physical copy of RSG does not bestow the rights of the show. So what network orignally made it?

Isn't it strange that both Dave Clark and Dick Clarke hoard pop footage?

Micheal

True indeed Michael. RSG was produced by Rediffusion who alongside ATV, ABC and Granada were the biggest ITV comapnies of their time. In 1968, the whole ITV constitution changed and Rediffusion lost its licence. The name lived on as an electrical company for many years... we used to hire our TVs from them, but as a TV company, they wrre no more.

The Rediffusion archive fell into disarray for none of the material could legally be shown again anyway. The archive was dispersed in 1969 and its believed many film cans ended up in skips buried underneat tons of rubble...

Dave Clark has always been a canny businessman. He dictated the terms of his contract to EMI and retained the rights to all his recordings and masters. This deal struck in 1963 was revolutionary - independent deals were very rare.

As for the rights of the show, I believe they should belong to Michael Lindsay Hogg and Vicki Wickham who produced and directed the show, therefore making it the legend its become. The Sandie Shaw episode is detailed in her autobiography and she struck some sort of deal whereby the artistes on the tapes who had not been consulted nor was their permission asked for, would receive some royalities. Vicki Wickham and Lindsay Hogg have I believe never received a penny from Clarks' exploitation.

I cannot understand Dave Clarks' actions or motives regarding his treatment of all this archive material he has. What I find ultra sad is that Mike Smith, the DC5 vocalist (a fine singer too) is now paralysed from the waist down having broken his neck in an accident 3 years ago. He will never sing or play again. He could very likely do with some royalties, but none of his work is available... there was a tribute gig raising funds for Mike last month for which Peter and Gordon reformed.

Both Mr Clarks are now getting on a bit, but keeping all this material out of the publics way cannot be helping or benefitting anybody.

True, we often grumble at the latest EMI Hollies compilation, but at least we can get much of their work and its constantly available in some guise or other and thats no bad thing. the last DC5 release was a greatest hits CD in 1993 and its long been deleted so to get DC5 music we have to look elsewhere.
PostPosted:Sat Sep 03, 2005 21:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The fundraising show is coming out on DVD, I'm looking forward to seeing Peter and Gordon. Did DC himself attend?

I can't understand why he would bury his own band given that he would do better out of a CD than probably any other 60s group out there given his ownership of everything.

Micheal
PostPosted:Sun Sep 04, 2005 14:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic