graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » My top 10 Favourite 70's Bands/Singers
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Here are some of my favourite 70's bands/singers

The Hollies
The Rolling Stones
The Beach Boys
Abba
Sherbet
Sweet
Smokie
The Bee Gees
The Partridge Familly
Cold Chisel

Bye For Now

Cindy
PostPosted:Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:00 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Anthony,

Chrissie Amphlett? As in Divinyls??

Be still, my beating --- heart!

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 17:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Bruce,
She was hot, do you know their hit "I touch myself", it was big downunder.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 21:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hello Anthony,

I Touch Myself remains Divinyls' only hit in the US. I believe their cover of The Rascals I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore should have scored on the charts, as well. I have four of their original studio albums, a few collections, plus a live CD. Good solid rock 'n' roll, although Christina A., as you point out, is hot. Twisted Evil

It won't surprise Kathy that one of the original attractions of Divinyls for me was their cover of The Easybeats' I'll Make You Happy... Smile.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 20, 2004 13:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Bruce,
I would not have picked you as a fan of the Divinyls, I think it must have been the school uniform that got you hooked

PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 15:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well, my favourite '70s bands and singers (I don't mention the ones I have in my '60s list like for example The Who and The Hollies) are:

1. Lennon, McCartney/Wings, Harrison, Ringo (All of them did some great stuff. The best is of course done by John Lennon (Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games, Walls And Bridges, Rock'n'Roll, Double Fantasy) but all the others had several high points in the '70s too. McCartney/Wings (Ram, Band On The Run, Venus And Mars), George Harrison (All Things Must Pass, 33 1/3) and Ringo (Ringo, Goodnight Vienna)

2. Smokie (One of the absolute best singers ever and some great albums like Pass It Around, Midnight Cafe, Bright Lights... and The Montreaux Album. They are really really underrated by most people because they were marketed as a teen band but they were much more than that. They are worth discovering (at least their early stuff with Chris Norman on vocals)

3. Sweet (Another underrated band. After their teen pop years they recorded some great hard rock albums (Sweet Fanny Adams, Off The Record) and singles (Ballroom Blitz, Hell Raiser...).

4. Rod Steward/Faces (Another great vocalist. He was better in the early '70s but later on he still did some goog or even great albums. The Faces records are good anyway)

5. Queen (I like their first two records the most because they are rawer than their later ones but of course they did some great things after this two. Only in the '70s though. By the way apart from Freddie Mercury they have in my opinion another great singer: the drummer Roger Taylor. A lot of people don't like his voice and his songs but I love it especially on the rock song (Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, I'm In Love With My Car...). He recorded a really good solo LP in 1981 Fun In Space. Worth buying.)

6. Cat Stevens (The new Majikat DVD is fantastic. I love his songs and albums. From Mona Bone Jakon on he never released a bad one.)

7. Jethro Tull (A lot of great albums in the '70s. Ian always had some great musicians around him)

8. Deep Purple (Great hard rock band.)

9. Led Zeppelin (If they only had have a better singer (someone like Rod Steward would have fit perfectly as proven on the albums he recorded with Jeff Beck) they would have been better. In my opinion theur first three albums are the best ones. I don't like their 4rt that much, although it is often held as their best)

10. hmm should I say T. Rex or Pink Floyd? I could say Wishbone Ash or Badfinger or Humble Pie. Whats about David Bowie, Carole King, Crosby Stills and Nash, Free/Bad Company or Nazareth.

I don't know if I've forgotten someone...
PostPosted:Fri Aug 20, 2004 13:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

It's good to know that I'm only a couple months behind on this one Razz

Awww, the 70's. It's hard to narrow it down. I would agree mostly with Anthony's list with Kathy's Partridge family thrown in. I mean David Cassidy ohh-la-la-la-. Lets see.

1. Hollies of Course
2. Abba of Corse
3. Anthony and Kathy refuse to recognize my favorite Aussie, Helen Reddy. Just loved her Exclamation Exclamation
4. Olivia Newton John, can't escape my country roots
5. John Denver
6. Gilbert O'Sullivan
7. Peter Frampton
8. Jim Croce
9. Bee Gees
10 Crosby, Stills and Nash and sometimes Young
I have to include David Cassidy, the Stones and only dappling in hard rock; Pink Floyd, and Queen.

Re: "I touch myself" Embarassed A very pretty song, I'm singing until I realize WHAT I'm singing. Shocked NOT appropriate for a mama with 3 daughters listening Rolling Eyes I shut it off. At Blue Hill High School --Play Practice. Someone play above song. Mrs. Schmidt sponsor: "I DON'T THINK SO!" Evil or Very Mad Song is turned off.

Bye,

Shari
PostPosted:Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Andy Post subject:

1. AC/DC
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Lynryd Skynryd
5. Black Sabbath
6. John Lennon
7. Sex Pistols
8. The Clash
9. The Rolling Stones
10. Queen

I think they were all 70's, I know most of them are, if there is a few mistakes I'll put it down to my age. (15) Wasn't even born, but it was a brilliant decade for music, after the 90's (Oasis, Metallica etc) and the 60's (The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Hollies etc)
PostPosted:Thu Nov 18, 2004 19:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Andy Exclamation

You are spot on, all the bands you listed are all 70's bands. Smile

Best Wishes

Susie

Cool Wink

PostPosted:Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:17 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Sharon,
I was not a fan of Helen Reddy, she went to the US and made it really big. Now Gilbert O'Sullivan I loved his song "What's in a kiss".
God knows how "I touch myself" got airplay.
I loved all the ex Beatles stuff of the 70's too Distantlight.
An Aussie group called Daddy Cool had a few fab hits at the time, I remember dancing in school to a song called Eagle Rock, it was a huge hit here. I think that was the end of my dancing days, I could have been a great dancer but my knobbly knees held me back.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: 70 ties favorites
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

hollies discovered hollies in the seventies so tthats my alltime number one
but moody bleus came second and then what came nearly to hollies sounds i compared them and many where blown away
bernard
PostPosted:Sat Nov 20, 2004 18:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cathy60 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Here is my top 10 70's band

The Hollies
Mud
Sherbet
Abba
The Beach Boys
The Bee Gees
Ronnie Burns
Russell Morris
Masters Apprentices
Autumn

There you have it.

Cathy
PostPosted:Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ozzy Post subject:

Of course there were some great groups in the 70's
But EXCLUDING ones that were great in the 60's
(pre Disco era)

Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
Moody Blues
Queen

are a few

I went into hibernation during that horrid 70's disco crap.
The BeeGees lost me.

PostPosted:Fri Jul 01, 2005 22:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2