graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Best way to buy Hollies music?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Level8Drummer Post subject: Best way to buy Hollies music?

Hey, I'm a big hollies fan (though, I only have 2 cd's and don't know much about them). I've noticed that there's a hollies box set, but it's missing a few songs I want, such as Bus Stop and Look Through Any Window. Here's my question:

I want to collect as much Hollies music (especially the Nash era) as I can without buying the same song 10 times over Wink What's the best (and cheapest) way to do this? The Box set? Buy all of the albums? The albums seem hard to get and expensive (in the US at least). Also it seems like lots of their good stuff was never released on album, only as a single.

How do I buy all (or as much as possible) of the Hollies music (through 1968) most effectively?

Thanks guys! I'm glad to see there's such a following of Hollies fans out there!

Level8Drummer
PostPosted:Wed Jun 15, 2005 23:07 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: Best way to buy Hollies music?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Ok,

If I were you instead of buying the boxset I would buy the 3CD set The Hollies At Abbey Road. It's not very expensive and you will get all of the Hollies singles, B sides and lots of rare tracks from the Graham Nash era. You will also get a lots of great cuts from the Terry Sylvester era including the big hits like He Ain't Heavy and The Air That I Breathe... It might make you like the post Nash Hollies just as much.

If you don't want to buy the albums I'd suggest going to a music download store like the one I use through Eircom.net. You can buy credits and downloaded songs from many Hollies albums. A temporary download of a song that you can just listent to on your PC costs only a few cents. Or to stream a song costs, I think, 1 cent.
Its a good and legal way to hear the music if you don't want to buy the albums.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Maybe a cd you might think about getting is "A's, B's and ep's". The reason I never got this cd is because I had all the songs a few times over, but for somebody like you this could be perfect.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If you could get all these:

Sing Dylan
Sing Hollies
Moving Finger (US version of Confessions of the Mind)
Distant Light
The Mikael Rickfors Years
Live Hits
Four Hollies Originals
Four More Hollies Originals
Singles A's and B's 1970-79
What Goes Around
Greatest Hits 2CD
At Abbey Road 66-70
At Abbey Road 70-89.........you'd have a bloody good flavour of how superb this band used to be.

All in all 19 CD's, some of which will be almost impossible to find now, and I must have shelled out about £170. I'm biased towards the Sylvester years, hence not much in the Nash era.

Don't forget, you can go off at a tangent into the solo endeavours of Mikael Rickfors, Allan Clarke and Terry Sylvester (plus Graham Nash of course) which will mean you'll have to remortgage your house! Wink

PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2005 15:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Level8Drummer Post subject:

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I've looked around, and found this:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=1249092&cart=253847307&bab=E

What do you all think of this cd set?

It's really expensive to buy the actual albums - especially in the US. I really want hard copies of the songs, rather than mp3's. Also, I want the studio versions, rather than the live versions. If I want a live CD, I can always buy it later.

Tell me, have any of you seen this Hollies DVD?

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5842335&cart=253935785&BAB=I

Thanks guys!

Level8Drummer
PostPosted:Fri Jun 17, 2005 20:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The CD set is the three Hollies At Abbey Road CD's, two of which are mentioned in my list above, and are worth buying.

PostPosted:Fri Jun 17, 2005 23:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic

Oh, ok. I saw a 3 cd set, but I didn't see it say Abbey Road. Cool, I'll be ordering soon. Anybody seen the DVD?

Level8Drummer

PS. Graham Nash is the man! I've got most of the Crosby Stills and Nash cd's, and I just had to trace his career back Wink
PostPosted:Fri Jun 17, 2005 23:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have this DVD, it's only got 4 songs by the band, I think the clips were taken from an old TV show called the beat club. 3 songs have Graham, Listen to me, Do the best you can plus Jennifer Eccles and the other has Terry Sylvester with "Sorry Suzanne".
Hope this is some help,
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Jun 18, 2005 0:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Hmm, sounds good...I'll get it. Nash is my boy! And Sorry Suzanne is a great song.

Level8Drummer
PostPosted:Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject:

I agree with James' recommendations totally...but would add that if you are a Nash-era fan, you really can't do without three full-length albums: For Certain Because, Evolution and Butterfly.

Personally, I think it shows Nash's growth as a songwriter...I'm assuming that your Hollies' knowledge was much like mine at the beginning -- just the hits -- and because of that, it seemed a bit of a jump to imagine a Hollie-Nash as a CSN-Nash. But these three albums show why it all makes sense.

If you can get the original UK releases (check Ebay; my entire Hollies collection comes from there), all the better. Like so many mid-60s era classic albums, these three are not a bunch of hits with some filler added; they are stylistically holistic and show incredible artistic progression beyond the songs we heard on the radio.

Fortunately, For Certain Because is the same CD on either side of the pond, but the last two were subject to US record company marketing tinkering. As a result, if you can't find Butterfly, look for the poetically titled (lol), Dear Eloise/King Midas in Reverse, which is the US version with the two hits added. Butterfly in particular shows Nash's increasing independence from the rest of the Hollies, for better or for worse! It's all apples and oranges, really; the Sylvester-era Hollies are incredible in their own right if for totally different reasons...

BTW, saw Crosby & Nash at the Paradiso in Amsterdam in February...brilliant!! Nashy sounded great and the new material is powerful, mature and honest. It's awesome that he can keep his artistic integrity and still appeal to fans in their 20s right up through the creaky boomers like me!
PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I agree with James' recommendations totally...but would add that if you are a Nash-era fan, you really can't do without three full-length albums: For Certain Because, Evolution and Butterfly.

I'll heartily second that Beebs Razz Could I also point out that there is a very good MFP 3CD boxed set still available in the UK called 'The Hollies Collection'. In the UK it's a gift at £11.99 and it gives you a really comprehensive look at the hollies recording career from 1963 right up to 1993. If you can get that imported I'm sure you'd be pleased with it. Most of the hollies albums are still available on CD in the UK. EMI have recently released the first four albums on 'two on one' CDs. For Certain Because through to Sing Dylan are still available,not sure about the remaining three EMI ones but I think you'll find Sing Hollies,Romany, Hollies (74),Another Night and Write On are still available from Magic Records in France.
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 20:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Sorry for the long reply guys. Internet was down all weekend, and I haven't had time to look for the cd's until now. Ok, here's my game plan...

I'm going to buy the Hollies cd's Butterfly (found on amazon) and For certain because (on amazon). I already own Evolution (awesome cd by the way!! Wow). And I'm going to buy the 3 cd abbey road set (for 30 bucks...wow!)

Does anybody have any objections, or suggestions? I think that covers most of what I want...And later when I have more money I'll go back and track down more hollies!

Level8Drummer
PostPosted:Tue Jun 21, 2005 23:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi,
You sound like you are well on the way to having a great collection of Hollies music, the Abbey Road set is fantastic.
Bye or was that buy,
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed Jun 22, 2005 22:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Awesome! I just ordered the 2 cd's (and lots others by other bands, ELO, Genesis, Clapton, Sting, Phil Collins)

Thanks for all of the help guys. I had no idea what to buy. I knew that the big box set had potential to disappoint. I'm glad there was a smaller (and better) box set, and 3 important cd's to get as well.

Bought Wink

Level8Drummer
PostPosted:Wed Jun 22, 2005 23:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1