graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » So, I've been reading about the history of Scotland...
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: So, I've been reading about the history of Scotland...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm an American, and I'm a "mixed bag" of Welsh, English, Scotish, and Irish heritage.

I've been reading a bit recently about the history of Scotland, particularly the Highlanders. Wow, and I thought that we Americans had treated our own minorities poorly! The Scots in general, and the Highlanders in particular, received incredibly brutal and harsh treatment from the English on more than one occasion (not that the English can be considered 100% guilty, particularly in light of the way the rest of the world was back in those days) . It certainly has opened up my eyes and made me understand, a little, fierce pride that Scots justifiably take in their heritage. I'm quite happy to know that, to a tiny extent, I can claim this heritage as my own.

If I may, I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask the Scottish contingent here on this site (yes, that means you, too, Shells):

1. Does anyone still speak Gaelic in Scotland as a real, living language? It's such a beautiful language, I hate the idea of it vanishing from the planet.

2. Do most Scots today properly realize that the bright and lovely kilts and tartans that we see today at festivals bear little resemblance to how folks dressed historically?

3. Did Bonnie Prince Charlie have decendants, and does his line survive to this day?

4. I saw something a couple of years ago on television how people in Scotland, with Sean Connery as a visable spokesman, is trying to move toward "home rule" and become its own country with little official attachment to England. Is anything happening along this front today?

For what it's worth, a primary source for me has been two volumes: "Scottish Highlanders" by Charles MacKinnon, and "The History of Scotland" by Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. I've read significant portions of both books, but have completed neither (I will, though, I promise).

Finally, if anyone wishes to recommend books that are available here in the U.S. about British or Irish history (particularly Welsh, I think), I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks.

Scott J.
Gahanna, Ohio USA
PostPosted:Sun May 01, 2005 20:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic