graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » whos the guy?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
longcoolwoman Post subject: whos the guy?

whos the guy that sang with the hollies in 1972 and 1973 that would have been the one that appeared on the midnight special with wolfman jack and they performed "longcool woman in a black dress"? he was so adorable, well all of you guys are but at 8 yrs old i only looked at the one singing lol Laughing
PostPosted:Sun Mar 06, 2005 23:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cathy60 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Concidering it being 1972/73 then I say the guy you speak of is Mikael Rickfors who joined The Hollies as Lead Singer when Allan Clarke left to persue a solo career unless they had another singer I don't know about. Please correct me if I am wrong Rob or anyone.

Bye For Now

Cathy
PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:09 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well...

When Clarke was gone Terry Sylvester sang Long Cool Woman, Mikael Rickfors sang He Ain't Heavy. That's what I've seen anyhow.

Micheal C.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 16:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
longcoolwoman Post subject: thank you for your reply

well i dont know who it was singining on that show but i would really love to find out thank you.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 22:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It was definitely Rickfors. Astounding version of He Aint Heavy out there! Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Mar 07, 2005 22:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

James Towill wrote:
It was definitely Rickfors. Astounding version of He Aint Heavy out there! Laughing

No, James, it was Mikael for He Ain't Heavy and Terry for Long Cool Woman. I believe you have heard both versions Smile?

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Mar 08, 2005 0:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I remember reading somewhere that Mikael sang He Ain't Heavy and Terry sang Long Cool Woman. Can you shed some light on the subject Rob Question

All The Best

Susie

PostPosted:Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:03 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

There may not be a "wrong" and a "right" here, and I'm not sure James is necessarily saying Rickfors sang "Long Cool Woman". He may just be pointing out what a great job Mikael did on the keyboard-rich, live "He Ain't Heavy" during that period. And he would be right about that.

What I have is Rickfors on HAH and Sylvester taking the lead on LCW, as Micheal described. Tony even sings a few other tunes he didn't originally sing (all) the leads on. HOWEVER, that does not mean there wasn't a period - especially when a relatively new singer with a different range, and whose command of English was shaky at best, was still being integrated into the band - where there was a bit of switching around and experimenting with whose voice sounded best on different songs. There may indeed be live versions out there of Rickfors singing LCW. I know of just two people still with the band who would have been present at all of these shows and could settle the question.

As an examply of what I mean, Carl sang "Too Young to be Married" at the 2002 American shows, and at least one German concert shortly afterwards. But by 2003, Tony was singing his own composition, originally sung by Allan Clarke in the studio.

Still with me, long cool woman? I vaguely remember that Midnight Special episode, but over 30 years later, the memory plays tricks!

Here's another way of approaching this. Was it a dark-haired guy, who looked a little like the Hollies version of Paul McCartney, singing Long Cool Woman? That would have been Terry Sylvester who, ironically, grew up in Liverpool a block over from Macca. On the other hand, if it was a blonde-haired gentleman who looked like he would be right at home walking down the streets of Stockholm, that's Rickfors.

That should give you your answer...

PostPosted:Tue Mar 08, 2005 17:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi LCW,

have a look at:

http://www.terrysylvester.com/images/Hollies.SP.105711.jpg

and make your choice Wink
PostPosted:Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Logical answer, Brandy. You can see Im a bit too dogmatic!

Have you heard live recordings from this era other than HAH and LCW?

I know there are live performances from The Midnight Special around but these are the only two live songs Ive heard from the Rickfors years. I find the whole period very interesting.

Micheal C.

[quote="brandy"]
What I have is Rickfors on HAH and Sylvester taking the lead on LCW, as Micheal described. Tony even sings a few other tunes he didn't originally sing (all) the leads on. HOWEVER, that does not mean there wasn't a period - especially when a relatively new singer with a different range, and whose command of English was shaky at best, was still being integrated into the band - where there was a bit of switching around and quote]
PostPosted:Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yup, I meant Rickfors singing Heavy (and indeed it was Terry on LCW). Sorry for any ambiguity. It would be great if some more live material from this era surfaced!

PostPosted:Wed Mar 09, 2005 17:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

MichealC wrote:
Logical answer, Brandy. You can see Im a bit too dogmatic!

Have you heard live recordings from this era other than HAH and LCW?

Nothing wrong with a little dogma, Micheal...although I'm a cat owner myself. Rolling Eyes

I also have Carrie Anne, Long Dark Road and Bus Stop from the same year (1972). Probably from the same tour, if not the same concert. Tony sings lead on Carrie Anne, with a brief drum break from Bobby replacing the steel drum solo. Tony also sings lead on Long Dark Road, with Terry and Mikael especially contributing to the "gang vocals" at the end. The one disappointment is Bus Stop...nothing wrong with the band's performance, but this was not a particularly good song for Rickfors to sing lead on...IMHO, it just doesn't suit his voice. I think Sylvester probably should have been in the spotlight on this one, as well.

PostPosted:Thu Mar 10, 2005 14:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Wow! Amazing that these recordings exist.

Any chance of a share Brandy? Start a little Rickfors Sings Hollies website. I'll upload my HAH and LCW and everyone can listen to them.

Mine are from The Midnight Special an American TV show from the '70s, The Hollies were guests a few times with Rickfors. This episode was hosted by The Bee Gees.

Dogmatic, I maybe, but I also have a cat not a matic, not a dog.

Micheal C.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 10, 2005 15:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Would be very cool to hear them!
PostPosted:Thu Mar 10, 2005 18:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have some Hollies video clips and it times I have no idea of who's on stage, there is some guy pre Allan Coates. He is on a few of the Hollidaze type numbers.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2