The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Newsflash - Fountains Meet The Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: Newsflash - Fountains Meet The Hollies
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi All
Just come across this article I thought would be of intrest to everyone.

Enjoy!

Cheers Folks,
Martin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New hitmakers salute old for "Dreams"

Fountains of Wayne will appear on the NBC television drama American Dreams as legendary British rockers the Hollies, performing their 1966 song "Bus Stop." The episode of the show -- which often features contemporary musicians portraying Sixties icons on American Bandstand -- will air in mid-March.
"Originally when [NBC] approached us, they suggested the Animals," Fountains co-frontman and songwriter Adam Schlesinger says. "But we were always bigger Hollies fans, so we asked them if we could switch, and they obliged."

But unlike all of the previous musicians who have appeared on the show -- including Alicia Keys and Kelly Clarkson -- Fountains of Wayne recorded their own rendition of the song, rather than using a pre-produced track.

"We were more comfortable doing it this way," Schlesinger says. "We've done tons of covers songs as a band, but the tricky thing is when you're trying to be literal, like we were this time. With most covers you want to take some liberties and change the song around, but we tried to stay as close to the original as we could. I think we came pretty close."

The always-busy Fountains have begun recording material for the follow-up to their hit 2003 album, Welcome Interstate Managers. They're also working on a collection of B-sides, and they'll have a cut on the upcoming soundtrack to Robots, an animated film featuring the voices of Robin Williams and Halle Berry.

Schlesinger is writing music for the Broadway adaptation of the 1990 John Waters film Cry Baby, set to debut in 2006, and his side project Ivy will release their fourth album, In the Clear, on March 1st.

JESSICA ROBERTSON
(Posted Jan 24, 2005)
Rolling Stone Magazine

See Link
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6858844/fountainsofwayne?pageid=rs.News&pageregion=double1&rnd=1106658645480&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.857
PostPosted:Tue Jan 25, 2005 13:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I was doing to post that link, but you beat me to it.

I've never heard of that program, but I'll definitely tune in and watch it -- and maybe record it -- when it airs.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

We get that show here in Australia but the networks have retitled it for the Australian audience as 'My Generation'.

PostPosted:Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

In Reply to Sparkys Post:
I wasnt racing you honest,Sparky! You will have to let us know what they were like as I dont think we got it over here in England.

Sparky Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was doing to post that link, but you beat me to it.

I've never heard of that program, but I'll definitely tune in and watch it -- and maybe record it -- when it airs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To Kathys Post:
It seems like everyone gets it except us then Kathy..lol

I will have to have a bit more of a scout round some of the obsecure channels on my Sky Box!

Kathy Wrote:

We get that show here in Australia but the networks have retitled it for the Australian audience as 'My Generation'.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Martin Dodd wrote:
In Reply to Sparkys Post:
I wasnt racing you honest,Sparky! You will have to let us know what they were like as I dont think we got it over here in England.

FYI, it's "Sparty" not Sparky.

The name refers to my college's team mascot, "Sparty" the Spartan.

Here's photos of him:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~dukettet/mascot-c.jpg

http://espn.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/sparty.jpg

Go Green!
PostPosted:Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Sparty,

I can hear the ghost of Woody Hayes spinning in his grave at this defection from the OSU Buckeyes! Wink

PostPosted:Mon Feb 07, 2005 17:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1