graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Channel 4's UK Music Hall of Fame
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Channel 4's UK Music Hall of Fame
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Did you know that Channel 4 is putting together a UK Music Hall of Fame. I watched the show last night and they were concentrating on the 70's. The programme 'experts' nominate 10 acts from each decade then ask the public to phone in and vote for their favourite act, the winner going forward into the Hall of Fame. The show has already featured the 90's and the 80's. Last night, the 10 acts nominated from the 70's were Abba, The Clash, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Bee Gees, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Queen and Stevie Wonder. The show next week will be looking at the 60's and surely the Hollies must be one of the 10 acts to be nominated by the team of experts. So I suggest we all tune in to Channel 4 next Sunday (31st October) at 9pm and get ready to vote!
PostPosted:Mon Oct 25, 2004 15:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yep, it's been a pretty good series so far.

My bet for the top 10 60's would be (apart from Beatles and Elvis, already included):

Rolling Stones
Kinks
Hollies
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Byrds
Move
Janis Joplin
Who
Manfred Mann?

Now...let's see how many of them are picked!
PostPosted:Mon Oct 25, 2004 20:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I fear the worst when the adverts for the programme says it includes James Brown, Beach Boys (can't disagree about that one) and Velvet Underground.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have read in numerous articles in magazines and books over the years that The Hollies were the biggest 60's band after The Beatles and Stones so if they don't get picked for the top 10 sixties bands/singers then there is something wrong. Wish I could watch the show next Sunday Night. Sad

All The Best

Susie

Cool Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:27 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Susie,
I've read in many publications that the Hollies in the 1960s actually surpassed the Rolling Stones in the UK singles charts, and were outpaced only by the Beatles. That's also included in the text of the original liner notes to the Moving Finger LP issued in the US. Forgetting for a moment that liner notes have NEVER been used for "hype". Surprised

In terms of overall influence and albums sales, no doubt the Rolling Stones had a bigger impact. But, the Hollies should be a shoo-in for any such 60s UK Top Ten list. Forgetting for a moment the seemingly ongoing "conspiracy" to downplay the achievements and contributions of this band.

Mick Jagger can't get no satisfaction? The Hollies, like the late Rodney Dangerfield, can't even seem to get the respect they deserve. Evil or Very Mad

Does anyone have Channel 4's phone number?

PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2004 14:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Bruce,

The voting phone number is 0901 133 1133. You can probably find more information at www.channel4.com/halloffame. From what I've read, Madonna got in from the 80's, so The Hollies have no chance against all those great artists from the U.S. Sad

Terry
PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2004 16:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks Terry.

If Madonna got in for the 1980s, it's not really what I'd call a UK Music Hall of Fame. Despite the Material Girl's current choice of residence, here in the 2000s.

This does makes the hillside "steeper" in terms of the competition. Ah well, the balance on my phone card is in pretty good shape right now...vote early, vote often Question

PostPosted:Tue Oct 26, 2004 16:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Channel 4's UK Music Hall Of Fame
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Tonight's Sixties edition of the show has just finished and it's just as I thought. The Hollies were not one of the ten nominations. In fact, they weren't even mentioned. It can't be right. I switched off in disgust. Just for the record, the ten acts nominated were James Brown, Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Simon and Garfunkel, The Supremes, Jimi Hendrix, Aretha Franklin and the Rolling Stones. How disappointing. It's spoilt my weekend.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 31, 2004 23:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I thought the inclusion of Velvet Underground, James Brown and Simon and Garfunkel to be particularly abysmal. Having the Kinks included was great, but how the hell could The Who be left out? I notice that this is the first year of this hall of fame, so I suppose in future years, perhaps 2525 as Zagger and Evans put it, the Hollies might be inducted... Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sun Oct 31, 2004 23:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
tony m Post subject: uk hall of fame

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD TAT, AT LEAST PEOPLE READING THIS KNOW THE TRUTH. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted:Mon Nov 01, 2004 0:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1