graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Which Songs?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Which Songs?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Guys,

Those of you who have been to The Hollies concerts, could you please tell me which songs have they been singing.

Also are they all available on CD? If so which one/s are they on.

I do like The Hollies but never had any of their albums, and have never been to their concerts. As I am due to go to one it would be good to know what they are singing and also listen to some of their stuff before I go.

Thanks.

Shelley Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:52 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Shelley,

If you go to "On Tour" on this site, there are some reviews with playlists. Their Greatest Hits 2CD set brought out last year contains all their hits worldwide, and covers most of the playlist. It has blue sky with white clouds on the cover and you should find it at a discount if you look around.

All the best, Very Happy

Terry
PostPosted:Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quite frankly Shelly, all you need to do is get a hold of any compilation which contains only UK hits, play it, and then try to guess which ones they don't do. The only exceptions to the rule would be 'Too Young To Be Married' (a number one in New Zealand) and 'Blowin' In The Wind' which was a hit in Germany. In recent years they have included three Move songs and Mud's 'Tiger Feet'.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Terry & GordonJ,

Thank you for that. I have now ordered myself the Greatest Hits cd from Amazon and looking forward to listening to it.

Still can't wait for Croydon though!

One other question, They also sing a song called 'It’s In Everyone Of Us', is this the song from the musical TIME or is it a completely different one?

Thanks

Shelley Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:56 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes Shelley, "It's in Every One of Us" is from TIME. Go here:-

http://www.davidpomeranz.com/biography.html

for more info on the songwriter.

Terry
PostPosted:Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks Terry,

I know that one, considering I saw that show about 13 times, I should know the song very well! So apart from He Aint Heavy, there's another song I know and can look forward to hearing.

Peter should know that one very well as well as he worked in Time.

What made The Hollies decide to sing that song?

I am asking so many questions aren't I?

Shelley Wink
PostPosted:Mon Oct 18, 2004 19:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Shelley,

Nothing wrong with asking questions...you'll find plenty of answers here. Occasionally, the answers will even be in agreement!

The Hollies did a full version of It's in Every One of Us as the closing track on their 1979 album "5317704" (I do not recommend turning your computer monitor upside down to figure that title out; try it on a calculator instead). The abbreviated version they close their shows with (they used to do Amazing Grace) was chosen, I think, just because of the positive message of hope it conveys, and the idea that any worthwhile change in the world happens one individual at a time.

The picture on the front page, taken by Bobby at Berlin this past June, shows Ray, Alan, Tony and Carl gathered around the center mic doing the a cappella "IIEOOU". I know, because I was just on the other side of that stage, and we were all surprised that Bobby had grabbed a camera and actually found something to do during the closing song!

Unless you are very young, I think you will hear a "few" more songs you recognize in addition to He Ain't Heavy and It's in Every One of Us. Okay, quite a few! Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Oct 18, 2004 20:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Bruciebaby,

Thanks for that.

I didn't realise that 'It's In Every One Of Us' was that old (no offence). It's good that a new generation of people got to hear the song in TIME.

You're right about the positive message, I haven't heard that so in so long but can still remember it so clearly and can't wait to hear it again.

I did wonder about that picture on the front page. That is a good picture of the band.

As for me being young, I am 35 so there is every chance once I listen to some Hollies songs I would say 'oh yeah I know that one'. Still looking forward to seeing them in concert. My CD is on it's way to me so can't wait for that as well, something tells me I am going to enjoy it.

Shelley Wink
PostPosted:Mon Oct 18, 2004 20:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Shelley,
Certainly no offense (excuse my Yank spelling) taken. I have again been "young" for the past two and-a-half years, and I will hit the half-century mark all too soon.

35...it may be surprising, but that kind of puts you in the middle. There are a lot of us "old folks" in our forties and fifties in this forum, but I know at least two Hollies fans in their teens. Well, actually one, as "Preston Peeji" just turned 20! But it has been beyond cool to sit/stand next to someone like her, nearly 30 years my junior, at shows in the UK and Germany knowing she was into it as much as I was!

You were pretty young when the Hollies "hit days" had largely ended. But if you have listened to much to "oldies" radio over there, you'll know the songs!

PostPosted:Tue Oct 19, 2004 18:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The thing is Shelly, 'It's In Every One Of Us' is one of the MORE RECENT songs they do. The only exception being 'Soldiers Song' from the following year. Apart from that, it's all pre 75.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Oct 19, 2004 20:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic