graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » The US 1983 tour w/Graham Nash
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: The US 1983 tour w/Graham Nash
Banjo

Banjo

My wife and i were fortunate to have seen the Hollies when they FINALLY CAME here in 1983. In fact we seen them twice, which has been over 21 YEARS ago. The First time was at the Great Adventure Amusement Park in New Jersey. The group did two breathaking shows, where they did a brief but very energetic acoustic set that included a real kick axe version of 'King Midas' The show was with many highpoints including a gag pulled on ALLAN. When he went to open his case (harmonica) to get for 'He Aint Heavy' another mischievous band member had put a SNICKERS BAR in it! That was a real light moment for the group, Graham immediately 'produced' the needed instruement. Paul Bliss formely of the Bliss Band was doing the keyboard chair this go round and was quite emphatic with his parts to say the least. We got to to see them two days later in Williamsburg VA at Busch Gardens. We had first row seats for borth shows. In between the two sets we got to meet everybody. In fact BOBBY was shopping in one of the boutiques there and we ran into and he invited us backstage. Also we had our eletric IBANEZ with us and proudly had ALLAN TONY BOBBY GRAHAM STEVE PAUL AND ALAN COATES sign it! TOny signed it, 'hope this makes it sound better"(Sure did!) We took photos of all four shows and will be something we will never forget! Only regret is that i wish they pulled out some material from Write On, Another Night and Hollies 74(Like Transatlantic Westbound Jet-Headed out to JFK Ill play my guitar along the way...sorry got carried away) Nevertheless, it was a thrill to see them. Interestingly so, when we lived in New Jersey, I believe they had set up a tour with 10C.C. as apackage. We had tix for them at the ASBURY PARK CONVENTION HALL, but guess what, the darn thing got CANCELLED. THAT STUNK. Two great bands getting the boot! So it was a treat to see the guys come to America in'83!!!!
From what I also understand, there was SUPPOSED to be more shows, but promoters got cold feet and were cancalled just the same. They didnt do many cities for that tour, to paraphase one of their songs, ITS A SHAME ITS A PITY. Anybody else see any of that tour from back when?
Till the next...Otis Robb Nashville TN

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: The US 1983 tour w/Graham Nash
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Ottis
Great story that I love reading real life accounts of what people saw etc when they went to whatever show! Sounds like you had a superb time.

I wonder is Graham will ever reunite with them again,it would be superb to see him again as a Hollie. The work he has done with Crosby,Stills and Nash is very reminicent of a lot of The Hollies works.

Martin
PostPosted:Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I too saw the Hollies twice on the 1983 US tour. First, I caught the group with my then-girlfriend in Detroit's Pine Knob. I had to rearrange final exams, as we were then students at Michigan State University and the show was right during finals week! I arranged to take my exams early so I was able to get to the Detroit area for the show. Very Happy

My other show was a week or two later, in the famous recorded show at Kings Island amusement park near Cincinnati. Unknown to me, my older sister picked up a pair of tickets for that show for me (she of course knew what a Hollies fanatic I was) so my "date" was my sister. We were in the third row, and the front of the stage was really close to the audience. So, I had great up-close views of the band.

This show is available on a bootleg, on the legit US "Archive Alive" album, and I bvelieve that it's been recently re-released on another label -- Wounded Bird, perhaps.

It was a great show, and I am forever grateful that it was professionally recorded.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1