The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Hollies Sing Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

brandy wrote:

Rather cheesy, yes. Much like the similarly-named " 'Cos You Like to Love Me", the B-side of the American single of "He Ain't Heavy".

I like that one but am never sure if I should admit it. I really, really like Bernie Calvert's fair ground organ. The Hollies were pretty good at unusual instrumentation.

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Sep 27, 2004 22:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Micheal!

I also like 'Cos You Like To Love Me and I am proud to admit it. I think that it is one of the best songs Tony ever wrote. Very Happy

All The Best

Susie

Smile Razz
PostPosted:Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also like 'Cos You Like To Love Me.

And nooo, Carl and the Move shouldn't have recorded You Love 'Cos You Like It although they couldn't do it worse!
PostPosted:Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Count me in for liking 'Cos You Like To Love Me'.

PostPosted:Tue Sep 28, 2004 22:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Ditto for me on "Cos You Like To Love Me". Pure Hollies pop at it's best!
PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gang,
Well I must say I think Hollies sing Hollies is one of my favourite albums. The pick of the songs for me are Why don't you believe, Soldiers Dilemma, Don't give up easily, Look at life but the big stand out is "My life is over with you" and yes I don't mind You love cos you like it. I could never work out why the Hollies did the Dylan and Buddy Holly albums as the band had so much song writing talent. I read some place that the Buddy Holly record was a favourite of some of the band members, I think Allan or Bobby loved that album.

PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Actually, I do like 'Cos You Like to Love Me, despite having described it as cheesy.

I like cheesy...

It came out at a time when I was trying to get my hands on anything and everything by the Hollies. Pre-Internet, living in a small town in Wisconsin, my hands were often frustrated. Acquiring ANY new song by the band was quite an occasion.

"CYLTLM" was the American single B-side of "He Ain't Heavy". If I remember correctly, "You Love 'Cos You Like It" immediately followed "He Ain't Heavy" on the American LP. In each case, I think, the goal was to substantially lighten the mood after the weightiness of 'the ballad of Boy's Town'. Both songs succeeded in doing just that, and each was enhanced by the instrumental break - the organ in CYLTLM, Tony's guitar on YLCYLI.

Cheesy is good, but each of these two songs was as close to bubblegum as I cared to see the band get... [/u]

PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 16:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Not so much POP as PAP Wink

Sorry Hicks fans. Laughing
PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 19:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

'Cos You Like To Love Me was the 'B' side of He Ain't Heavy downunder as well and it is one of my all time favourite Hollies songs.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Smile
PostPosted:Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 am

Last edited by Susie Hewett on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I suggest that you buy your Hollies albums chronologically.

So yes, you should begin with "Stay With The Hollies." By learning each album in order, you'll better appreciate the band's growth and enjoy it when they because "progressive" around the time of "For Certain Because."

Oh yes, you'll also want to delve into the song lists and release dates that you'll find in the booklet that accompanied your box set. That way, you'll know when to give a listen to singles/b-sides/EP's from the box set to continue with the chronologic sequence.

Their second album is stronger, but there's something about their first effort that appeals to me.

Talking 'Bout You
Mr Moonlight
You Better Move On
Lucille
Baby Don't Cry
Memphis
Stay
Rockin' Robin
Whatcha Gonna Do 'Bout It
Do You Love Me
It's Only Make-Believe
What Kind Of Girl Are You
Little Lover
Candy Man

Notice, "Stay" is in the only hit on the disc. However, I assure you that it isn't the only song worth listening to. Back then, the band has a kind of innocence that's really great to hear, and they wer just fun!

I'll use the obvious Beatles comparison -- no one thinks that the Beatles' first album was their best stuff, but that record is just flat-out GREAT to listen to. Well, "Stay With The Hollies" is the same way.

Pick it up. You'll thank me later.

I envy you, getting to learn about this wonderful music for the first time.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Is 'Stay With The Hollies' still available Question I know 'For Certain Because' 'Evolution' 'Butterfly' and 'Hollies Sing Dylan' were all reissued in 2000, but I haven't seen any of the others since the digipacks.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Oct 27, 2004 15:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phil newton Post subject: Bad Album Covers and songs

Hey everybody
I'm new to this forum and I've been reading stuff months old but I think the worst Hollies album cover has to be the Australian version of "Confessions of the Mind" (black with white title)BORING!
The worst song has to be "Mr Moonlight" from their first album.
Everyone will probably have a different one. I have a soft spot for "Stay" They don't make many bad ones. Laughing
The Hollies have given me so much plessure over 40 years. Living in Australia I haven't had the opportunity to see them live as much as I would have liked. First time was 1970 Sydney. Saw them in UK.
I have 37 CDs of Hollies plus Graham Nash, Allan Clarke and Terry Sylvester solos.
I hope I get to see this new guy "Peter". Anyone seen him yet?
PostPosted:Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2