graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Carl Wayne's Solo Album (1971)
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Carl Wayne's Solo Album (1971)
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just purchased a copy of this album on CD after a year or two of deliberation. Overall it is a good album, very different to anything he did before or since, the highlight being Carl's superb version of Spirit In The Sky. Seems very apt now. He sings particularly well on this track. Anybody else have any opinions on this album? Smile
PostPosted:Wed Sep 22, 2004 18:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

What is the style of the album? Is Rock or Pop or something else? If you've got time you could perhaps write a little review in the reviews section...
PostPosted:Wed Sep 22, 2004 20:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi there

It's a big of a rag bag of styles, mostly sounding like big-band cabaret style stuff - totally at odds with what The Move were doing or with what CW recorded with ELO.

Laughing
PostPosted:Wed Sep 22, 2004 22:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Tried in vain to find the review I wrote on the solo LP for Carl's mailing list after he sent me a personalized copy in the fall of 1992.

At any rate, he was consciously trying for a more "pure pop" approach, and has acknowledged that was because of the immense popularity of singers like Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck at that time. "Spirit in the Sky" IS great, though not quite my favorite track (each song has developed its own appeal for me over the past two years). "I Scare Myself" is dramatically intense, due in part to Dusty Springfield's uncredited backing vocals (she is on three other tracks), and was my original favorite. Intense in a way that reminds me of The Hollies approach to "This Wheel's on Fire". "Magic Day" is a gorgeous ballad, which somewhat signals his later musical theater recordings. "Jubilee Cloud", like "Spirit" and the impassioned "I Heard the Voice of Jesus", is concerned with matters spiritual - 'Jesus-rock' being big at that time. "Jubilee Cloud" also has some tasty dobro playing, again by an uncredited musician (perhaps B.J. Cole or Albert Lee?). However, the track that soon became my favorite, containing perhaps my favorite vocal by Carl in ANY context, is the soulful lead-off track, "Sunday Kind of Love". One of his greatest performances ever, tinged with some exquisite bluesy guitar playing off of the string section. When this one starts, the volume knob goes up immediately!

It helps to have eclectic tastes; Carl's new approach must have shocked a few Move fans, but the album was a gutsy change in direction. If there is any positive aspect to his recent death, perhaps it will mean some of his other unreleased material, such as the second solo LP, will eventually see the light of day (fingers crossed...)

Yeah, I'm biased, but then you knew that...

PostPosted:Thu Sep 23, 2004 14:19 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the information brandy - sounds good!
PostPosted:Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1