graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » "It Happened in Manchester"
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: "It Happened in Manchester"
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

This is a book I picked up recently and it's about the story of Manchester's music from 1958-1965. It's written by Alan Lawson and it's well worth a read. It describes how groups of kids banded together to make music and how clubs were opening all over Manchester to enable these kids to have somewhere to play their music. It's especially of interest to Hollies fans as it tells how they evolved from other local groups in the early sixties. Allan Clarke and Graham Nash were known as either The Two Teens, or Ricky and Dane Young or the Guytones. They used to front a band called the Fourtones. Ricky Shaw and The Dolphins included Tony Hicks, Bobby Elliott and Bernie Calvert (later to become a Hollie in 1966). Kirk Daniels and the Deltas included Eric Haydock and Don Rathbone. The Oasis Club opened in November 1961 where the catering staff included one Rose Eccles (later to marry Graham Nash and even later to become one half of a song title). The Hollies first professional gig was at the Oasis on 4th December 1962 with the line up of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, Vic Farrell, Eric Haydock and Don Rathbone. The book describes 22nd February 1963 as a key date because The Beatles were playing at the Oasis and The Hollies were at The Twisted Wheel just down the road. Vic Farrell had announced that he was leaving the Hollies and Tony Hicks had been invited down to hear them play. The book says that Tony stood listening to the Hollies at an air vent before going in. At the interval, Graham Nash and Vic Farrell went to the Oasis to see the Beatles so their paths could have crossed without realising. Bobby Elliott, having moved on from Ricky Shaw and the Dolphins to be with Shane Fenton - later to become Alvin Stardust - and the Fentones, then replaced Don Rathbone in late 1963. It's a fascinating book and got me completely hooked as you can see!. If you get the chance, read it. There are a few things I've left out!!
PostPosted:Fri Aug 20, 2004 14:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi John

Thanks for the tip. It sounds a great read. It's nice to see the family trees of these groups.

PostPosted:Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi John Exclamation

I will have to keep my eye out for that book and buy it. Does it have Herman's Hermits as well Question They are also from Manchester and one off my all time favourite bands. Very Happy

All The Best

Susie

Smile Razz
PostPosted:Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: 'It Happened in Manchester'
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Susie.

Yes, Herman's Hermits are featured as well and so are Freddie and the Dreamers, Wayne Fontana, Graham Gouldman (who wrote hits for the Hollies and Herman) and Eric Stewart (both went on to form 10cc).
PostPosted:Sun Aug 22, 2004 16:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks John, I will keep my eye out for the book even if I have to go to Redeye again.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It would probably help to be a huge fan of the Manchester scene. A PAPERBACK version of the book I located in Amazon was going for about $60. *Gulp*. Crying or Very sad

Hope there are cheaper sources!

PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 21:12 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If a paperback book costs $60 then I would hate see the price of a hardback. Confused

All The Best

Susie

Cool Wink
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: "It Happened in Manchester"
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Bruce and Susie

Just to let you know that the book cost £7.99 in the UK, and was published by Multimedia. Hope that helps.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 14:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think the book is a real rarity now. I remember there being a lot of controversy surrounding the publication in the early nineties. It was published around 91 or 92 and quickly dissappered. It then reappeared in the mid to late nineties.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Aug 25, 2004 14:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kim Post subject:

Hi i just thought i would let you know there is a guy currently selling 10 of these books on ebay for 99p each.
Be quick bidding finishes 11th sept 01:03GMT
PostPosted:Thu Sep 09, 2004 20:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All,
Manchester sure had some of the greatest pop groups from the 60's, Herman Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers, The Hollies plus the Bee Gees grew up there before they headed to Australia.
$60 for the book sounds a lot but if you really love it then it's money well spent, or you can wait till it drops in price and ends up in the bargin bin.

PostPosted:Fri Sep 10, 2004 23:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

I have some of these books available to fans at £5 plus postage.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:13 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Helpmaboab Exclamation That's less than I paid for mine Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation about 7 years ago Exclamation Ah,m away to get drunk Twisted Evil
GordonJ
PS. For any sake Rob, don't put the price up, or ah'll git the blame Laughing
PostPosted:Fri Sep 17, 2004 13:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: