graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » My Tribute To Carl Wayne
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: My Tribute To Carl Wayne
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have been a fan of The Hollies since the age of 10 when I first heard "Jennifer Eccles" and they have been my favourite band since my late teens. When Allan Clarke left at the end of 1999 I was very upset and thought The Hollies were finished but fortunately they kept going.

I thought that nobody could replace Allan and then The Band added a new Lead Singer who turned out to be Carl Wayne who I had never heard of before.

I decided to give Carl a fair go and he came to Australia with The Hollies in 2001 and I saw them at Canterbury/Hurlstone Park R.S.L. Club in Sydney on Wednesday 7 February and what a brilliant concert it was. All 6 guys were sensational and Carl had the audience eating out of his hands. My favourite part of the concert was when Carl went off to change his clothes while Tony and the others took us down memory lane. Carl then came back on stage with a pair of tight leather trousers on and there were cheers and whistles from the audience, Carl then lapped it all up and gave a side and back view and everyone laughed at him. He was one great entertainer who knew how to get his audience going and feeling good, in fact the whole band are great entertainers.

I also got to meet all 6 Hollies and all of them were perfect gentlemen. Carl was very sweet and wonderful and he treated me like a lady and even thanked me for attending the concert and said he was pleased I enjoyed it. It was then that he really stole my heart and I've loved and admired him since.

Carl was a shining star and a true professional who always took time out to meet and talk to his fans and he was a fantastic person who will be sorely missed.

He was also very brave and a real trooper, over that past few months he knew he had that horrible condition and still managed to perform with the band.

Heaven now has a real Angel named Carl Wayne and may he rest in peace. God Bless you Carl.

All My Love

Susie

P.S. I believe that Carl would have liked The Hollies to carry on as would all their countless fans around the world.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:54 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

And here's my tribute:

As a teenager growing up in the early 1990’s, I had a great interest in music artists from the 60’s and 70’s, with one of my favourite bands being The Move – featuring the songwriting talents of Roy Wood and many lead vocals by Carl Wayne. To my ears at this stage, they were a bit like a slightly watered-down, more commercial version of The Who. Great catchy pop songs, first class vocals and great instrumentation. Night of Fear, I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Fire Brigade were amongst the finest songs to grace the charts in the late 60’s. Listen to the range of material on the Shazam album – from the hard rocking Cherry Blossom Clinic (Revisited) to the poignant The Last Thing On My Mind: superb stuff! And then there’s Carl’s humorous between-song interviews! In the mid 90’s, I really began to investigate the Hollies’ back catalogue – which quickly grew into an obsession! Having seen The Hollies twice in concert with Clarkey at the helm, it was with some caution that, four years after Carl had joined as Allan’s replacement, that I saw the band live in Glasgow and Stirling in March. The caution had arisen from the choice of How Do I Survive as the first record to be produced by the new line-up: the faults of the song could not be placed at Carl’s door - he produced a strong vocal for sure. Any doubts I had were quickly dispelled in the live arena as Carl gave a tremendous performance on both nights; confident, soulful and entertaining. He had a very strong stage presence. It was a treat to hear three Move classics performed impeccably, and Carl produced superb vocals on two songs I had hoped to hear in the set – The Baby and Soldier’s Song. Carl also had the drive to try and push the band into recording new songs (note the plural) but unfortunately this was not to be. Carl Wayne was a first class vocalist who will be missed by a great many fans of melodic pop and rock music – but his legacy will live on.

James
PostPosted:Wed Sep 08, 2004 15:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1