graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Wanted: More Hollies CD or L.P. "Product"
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Re: It may someday be released
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
Phil Cohen wrote:
According to another Hollies forum, Ron Furmanek is still attempting to mix and compile Hollies archival material. It appears that the original plan for two 2-CD sets has been reduced to one 1-CD set (all Nash-era material). It will contain only polished, completed recordings. No backing tracks or demos (No "Marrakesh Express")
But don't expect the compilation to be released any time soon. It may be a long (Dark?) road to get every Hollies member to sign off (to give permission), specifically, Clarke, Hicks, Nash, Calvert, Haydock & Elliott.

We may never know the truth as to why this project never happened.

This may be one of those Rock n'Roll contractual stalemates that may never be resolved within the lifetimes of the original fans. Ron Furmanek delivered one CD of Hollies vault material to Warner/Parlophone, but the label responded with apathy, and there is some contractual hang-up over what song publishing company that the rights to previously unheard Clarke/Hicks/Nash compositions will be assigned to. Similar to these unfortunate situations:

1. The hostilities between The Rolling Stones and ABKCO, in which The Stones prohibit ABKCO from releasing unreleased 1960's studio material, despite the fact that the large quantity of unreleased songs in circulation have now entered Uk/Europe public domain, essentially becoming legally bootleggable.

2. the conflicts and lawsuits between Jimi Hendrix's estate and filmmaker Jerry Goldstein, which has kept Hendrix's Royal Albert Hall film in the vaults for nearly 50 years.

3. the disagreements between the 3 Gibb families over whether to permit the release of Bee Gees vault materials. This has caused the families' potentially lucrative licensing deal with Capitol Records to come to naught. All but one of the group's original albums have disappeared into out of print oblivion.

4. the stalemate over unreleased materials from Andrew Loog Oldham's "Immediate Records" label, between Sanctuary Music (owner of the UK rights) & Charly Records(Posessor of the masters & multitracks and owner of the non-UK rights). No unreleased material has been released for five years, and an expanded edition of "Small Faces-The Autumn Stone" has been promised for six years...but never happens. And Charly also located many Multitracks by The Yardbirds, but does nothing with them. There the issue is whether or not to voluntarily pay artist royalties to a group that signed away future royalties in 1967.

5. The situation between Island Records' present-day owner Universal Music and several Island Records group(Traffic,Free & Spooky Tooth) which caused all already released archival materials to be deleted. The Artists signed recording and song publishing contracts in the 1960's which were fair by 1968 standards, but are unfair by 21st century standards. Universal has not made an offer(for upgraded royalties) that would be acceptable to the surviving members of these groups.

6.BMG Rights Management bought (outright) the "Ready Steady Go" films (from Dave Clark), but BMG does nothing with them.

7.The bankruptcy, receivership and subsequent liquidation of "Deep Purple Overseas Ltd", which ended archival activity by that group's 1968-1976 line-ups.

8.The feud between Graham Nash & David Crosby which ended CSN archival projects.

I wish that these music corporations would realize that the original fans are now senior citizens in their 60's and 70's. We won't be here forever. Please sell these archival materials to us, or, someday, it will be too late.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Still....nothing!
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Still no word on whether the Hollies archival project is ever to be. And this website seems to be a dormant ghost town....as if The Hollies simply don't care.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 13, 2019 20:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

If anything is forthcoming, then I will post the information here but you will not get an "official" response to requests for things that you want.

If Ron Furmanek does get this project together it could be a great thing. if he doesn't, it is not because The Hollies don't care.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

hollies wrote:
If anything is forthcoming, then I will post the information here but you will not get an "official" response to requests for things that you want.

If Ron Furmanek does get this project together it could be a great thing. if he doesn't, it is not because The Hollies don't care.

Thanks. A disappointing response was better than nothing. At least it confirms that this website is still active.
PostPosted:Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:
hollies wrote:

Thanks. A disappointing response was better than nothing. At least it confirms that this website is still active.

There's a thread about the archival project at The Steve Hoffman forums (a forum about music, movies & audio equipment). The news is not good. The project is not to be. Tony Hicks has no interest whatsoever in reissue or archival projects, and there's some conflict between Tony and Allan, over a recent quote from Allan in which he said that the present-day Hollies have no original members. Technically, that's correct.. Neither Tony or Bobby were founding members. (though both joined the group in 1963)
PostPosted:Tue Oct 08, 2019 21:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
aprimus62 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

This has nothing to do with the archival project you speak but something you said that came from Allan hit a nerve with me regarding Tony and Bobby not being original members. While that may be technically true, in my opinion, the Hollies truly became the Hollies after Tony then Bobby joined. I’m not meaning to be rude, just speaking my mind.

Angie P

PostPosted:Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

aprimus62 wrote:
This has nothing to do with the archival project you speak but something you said that came from Allan hit a nerve with me regarding Tony and Bobby not being original members. While that may be technically true, in my opinion, the Hollies truly became the Hollies after Tony then Bobby joined. I’m not meaning to be rude, just speaking my mind.

Angie P

I agree with you. The addition of Tony & Bobby improved the group.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 09, 2019 15:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2