graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Fifty Years ago today - Evolution released !
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Fifty Years ago today - Evolution released !
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hard to believe but half a century ago on 1 June 1967 EMI's Parlophone label released 'Evolution' - The Hollies sixth studio album no PMC/PCS 7022 with it's superb psychedelic cover pic by Karl Ferris - which Jimi Hendrix so loved - plus the surreal back cover artwork by 'The Fool' duo

The mono and stereo versions of the classic Hollies album were recently re-released on thick vinyl by EMI in remastered sound

'Evolution' quickly charted and became pirate Radio station the famous Radio Caroline's 'Album of the week' while their top disc jockey the late great Kenny Everett cited 'Lullaby To Tim' as his fav track on the album !

'Have You Ever Loved Somebody' was covered by The Everly Brothers, and charted for both Paul & Barry Ryan and The Searchers - being The Searchers final UK chart single to date

The Hollies had to cover the then unwell Bobby Elliott's much missed absence with three noted deputy drummers on the album - John 'Mitch' Mitchell of The Jimi Hendrix Experience played on 'The Games We Play' while Dougie Wright (of The John Barry seven) and Clem Cattini (The Pirates / The Tornadoes) stood in on other tracks

- Bobby was however featured on 'Have You Ever Loved Somebody', 'Lullaby To Tim' and 'When Your Lights Turned On'

Allan Clarke wrote 'Lullaby To Tim' for his young son Tim while Graham Nash wrote 'Stop Right There' from the heart

I wonder if in tribute to the classic album's 50th anniversary the current Hollies might include a new version of 'Have You Ever Loved Somebody', 'Then The Heartaches Begin', 'The Games We Play' or maybe 'You Need Love' in their next concerts ??

'Evolution' was a landmark Hollies album that deserves to be celebrated on this it's 50th anniversary ! Cool Cool
PostPosted:Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Re: Fifty Years ago today - Evolution released !
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:

I wonder if in tribute to the classic album's 50th anniversary the current Hollies might include a new version of 'Have You Ever Loved Somebody', 'Then The Heartaches Begin', 'The Games We Play' or maybe 'You Need Love' in their next concerts ??

'Evolution' was a landmark Hollies album that deserves to be celebrated on this it's 50th anniversary ! Cool Cool

I'm going to see them at Kilworth at the end of July so I'll let you know if they do, Gee. It would be nice to hear the Hollies sing Have You Ever Loved Somebody.

Evolution is one of my favourite Hollies LPs.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 01, 2017 14:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

So, Evolution released same day as Sgt Pepper? Lots of news about 50th anniversary of that. I wonder why The Hollies released at the same time? They must have known, surely! Lots of good tracks on Evolution - my favourite is Rain on the Window, but would like to hear Have You Ever Loved Somebody on next tour. I'm going to see them at Kilworth too. See you there!
PostPosted:Fri Jun 02, 2017 18:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hollies and Beatles releases were often VERY close indeed
- I was buying BOTH band's albums often together in the sixties !

but marketing wise not a clever idea for EMI to allow really in retrospect was it ?

look at these Parlophone catalogue numbers

1966;
Would You Believe ? - PMC / PCS 7008
Revolver - PMC / PCS 7009

For Certain Because... PMC / PCS 7011
A Collection of Beatles Oldies - PMC / PCS 7016

1967;
Evolution - PMC / PCS 7022
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - PMC / PCS 7027

presumably just repeated co-incidences tho' it almost looks as if EMI were doing it on purpose doesn't it...??
PostPosted:Sat Jun 03, 2017 13:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Wow! The record numbers are close! Certainly not a good marketing plan by EMI. Surely they would want to give each of their artists a fighting chance. By releasing an allbum more or less at the same time as a Beatles album, would have greatly reduced any other artist's chance of reaching no. 1.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 03, 2017 18:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I have often wondered if EMI were not happy with The Hollies after getting their lucrative 'leasing back' deal re their recordings in 1966 (hence the credit 'A Hollies Recording' thereafter on the records)

- and possibly due to that deal did EMI then intentionally leave The Hollies albums off their album innersleeves after 'For Certain Because...' in 1966 (??)

EMI later refused to do a similar deal for The Shadows which led to The Shads leaving EMI for Polydor in 1980

new acts such as Simon Dupree & The Big Sound, The Pink Floyd, and the hitless Tyrannosaurus Rex DID get their debut LPs featured on EMI album innersleeves however...

which makes you wonder WHY leave off such an established top band as The Hollies who up to 1967 had already achieved over a dozen UK hit singles plus overseas chart hits too and a number of big selling chart albums

the 1966 EMI album innersleeve did feature 'For Certain Because...' and TWO Beatles albums - 'Revolver' and 'A Collection of Beatles Oldies' - tho' 'Would You Believe ?' was ignored...

Note there was NO 'Evolution' depicted on the circa 1967 EMI album innersleeve unlike 'Sgt Pepper' etc
...tho' even party piano player Mrs. Mills got her new album included !

'Butterfly' was only promoted on a single rear cover not the next EMI album innersleeve

- but EMI DID feature 'Hollies Greatest' on the 1969 innersleeve - tho' that was a hits compilation they had more of a share in royalty wise
PostPosted:Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I never realised how important inner sleeve advertising was! It does seem, by what you say, that EMI had a problem with The Hollies. Did the group themselves have any say in when an album was released?
PostPosted:Mon Jun 05, 2017 17:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: The 2017 remaster
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It's unfortunate, that when "Evolution" and "Butterfly" were finally given high quality remasterings in 2017, that they were released only on vinyl and high resolution download, but NO CD or Standard resolution download release.
For CD and standard resolution download, all we've got (to this day) are Peter Mew's terrible masterings; a shrill "Evolution" and an edition of "Butterfly" with an odd glitch during the stereo mix of "Dear Eloise" (some of the instruments momentarily drop out at the start of the first chorus)
PostPosted:Fri May 25, 2018 1:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1