graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » What could be included on a 4th Hollies CD boxed set?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: What could be included on a 4th Hollies CD boxed set?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

What could be included on a 4th Hollies CD boxed set (if Warner Music decides to release one)?

"The Hollies Live"(the 1970's album), "Staying Power"(+ the Japan bonus track), "Then Now Always"(+ the bonus track from the EMI reissue), "Hollies Live Hits(We Got The Tunes!)", plus....

Hollidaze
Hollipops
Draggin' My Heels(Polydor promotional 12" disco mix)
Baby Come Back
Hillsborough
Find Me a Family
No Rules
Purple Rain
Naomi
Two Shadows
Nothing Else But Love
The Woman I Love
How Do I Survive

And there was the one new song recorded for the 50th anniversary 2-CD set.

And also, some of the "Coconut Records" songs exist in extended 12" versions.

As for unreleased songs (from throughout the group's career), the number is fairly small. Some of the 1964-1965 ones don't exist any more, and some others are known to be unfinished("Don't Close Your Eyes") or mediocre songs ("Hard to Forget")

But perhaps there are some alternate arrangements of familiar Hollies songs, or more concert recordings from the show whare "Purple Rain"" was recorded.

Any ideas from you Hollies fans for a possible 4th CD boxed set?
PostPosted:Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Don't forget these live and alternate tracks;

'Purple Rain' - live version recorded at Harrogate - as opposed to the rarer studio version from 1990 I assume you listed above

'Another Night' - Live version from 1991 featuring Alan Coates on harmony vocal and electric piano replacing the synth on the album version (issued by EMI Germany on 'Air That I Breathe' CD single )

Live 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' with Clarke-Hicks-Coates vocals included on overseas CD - virtually if not an outright bootleg with much tape hiss which would require a proper mix if to be officially released

'Blowin' in The Wind' - live in Mainz Germany from 1982 included on Polydor '20 Years' CD

'Write On' - Live in Mainz Germany from 1982 included on Polydor '20 Years' CD

'Daddy Don't Mind' - live included on French 'Hollies Live Hits' Magic records CD

'He Ain't Heavy...' / 'The Air That I Breathe' - edited live medley included on French Hollies Live Hits' Magic records CD

there was also a live version of 'On A Carousel' issued in Germany by a magazine

a very brief live version of 'Blowin in The Wind' with Terry Sylvester issued in Germany and on a Japan CD of 'Hollies Sing Dylan'

'I Don't Understand You' from 1981 - briefly issued by Rock-in-Beat Label RB 203 on CD of 'What Goes Around...' - deleted quickly due to legal action I understand

an extended version of 'Curly Billy' with longer guitar 'tick over' parts was issued in the USA on a demo or Disc Jockey's single

'Hello To Romance' - single version - which differs slightly to the now more common album version as it fades out on final chorus unlike the album version which has a vocal conclusion and then an orchestral outro to fade....

there is also the USA single edits of songs such as; 'Survival of The Fittest' (mono) and 'Long Dark Road' plus 'Jesus Was A Crossmaker

There is the 'tambourine' version of 'Just One Look' - on various European CD releases

An Australian released alternate version of 'Poison Ivy' exists too - on 'The Hollies' (AXIS 6361 I think without looking it up) tho' vetoed from 'Clarke Hicks Nash Years' set I understand

An alternate mix of 'Mickey's Monkey' was issued in Australia

Full length version of 'Stop Stop Stop' with the extended complete banjo parts - included on French 'EP Collection' CD set on Magic records

An alternate version of 'Try it' was issued on a Mexican EP (I think it was) - sounded like an unfinished 'working version'

A number of 'Butterfly' tracks were issued overseas minus sound effects - in Japan particularly I understand

'Dear Eloise' - rarer stereo version with FULL Nash outro part including harmonium intro at the conclusion after a complete fadeout as opposed to the quicker Nash outro on stereo 'Butterfly' and 'Hollies Greatest vol 2' - issued on European - possibly Swedish - Polydor 'Pop Heroes' LP (without digging out my old copy !)

The Italian Parlophone single version of 'Kill Me Quick' in mono minus backing vocals from 1967

The very strange alternate stereo mix of 'Do The Best You Can' included on German 'The Hollies Greatest' Hansa LP from circa 1968

an alternate strings mix of 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' was issued in Australia

An alternate version of 'Too Much Too Soon' on German EMI CD single of 'So Damn Beautiful'

'Hope' CD single version differs slightly too re vocals

'Skylarks' was the bonus new track

While including ALL of these tracks with those you state above would make for a fascinating fourth CD set - maybe also including the live unissued versions of 'Amazing Grace' and 'Boulder To Birmingham' etc and maybe the Gary Brooker lead vocal of 'Harlequin' which remains unissued as does the 'Nash' version of 'Survival of The Fittest' from August 1968, Bernie Calvert's instrumental '(No More) Snow on Heather Moor' from early 1970 and the 'Sylvester' version of 'Wings' - however I can't see them agreeing to it to be honest
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2017 16:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The rare version of "Poison Ivy"(originally on an Australian L.P.) is Take 9, and it was recently reissued as a bonus track on a Japanese SHM-CD expanded edition of "Stay With The Hollies". The disc also included the more common Take 12.

Also of interest is an alternate take of "Searchin"" that was included on a Uk budget-priced CD "The Hollies" on the "EMI/Compacts For Pleasure" label. Allan growls the lead vocal, and there's a lyric variation (I.E. mistake) from Graham Nash during the middle section.

One of the other forum members has stated that the Graham Nash-era version of "Survival of The Fittest" is "not useable", but without stating why.

But, as you and I have illustrated, there IS material from which a 4th Hollies CD boxed set could be assembled.

As for the remaining unreleased Hollies material,many years ago, ex-EMI executive Mike Heatley told me that the remaining unreleased Hollies material includes songs that were merely rehearsals, unfinished recordings,foreign language recordings or songs that were simply inferior to those that were released. Of course, the foreign language recordings were later released on "The Clarke Hicks and Nash Years"
PostPosted:Mon Mar 27, 2017 23:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The original Italy mono singles mixes of "We're Alive" & "Kill Us Quick" (and the 1993 Ron Furmanek stereo remixes) are all included on the Japan SHM-CD edition of "Evolution", which also contains the album "Evolution" in both mono & stereo.
Furmanek's 1993 stereo remixes of "We're Alive" & "Kill Us Quick" include vocal harmonies that were omitted from the 1960's mono mixes. Furmanek's mixes are superior to the originals.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

An alternate stereo mix of "Mickey's Monkey"(with the vocals in the centre) was released on CD by the BGO label on the "Bus Stop/Stop Stop Stop" two-fer.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 28, 2017 18:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

that alternate stereo version of 'Searchin' was first issued on 'Hollies Greatest Vol 2' LP issued in the UK on Parlophone in March 1972 - that album was largely lifted with some additional tracks added for that MFP 'The Hollies' CD later

Nash refers to '...and old Boston Blackie... they ain't got nuthin' on me...'

while on the original hit single version in both mono and stereo Nash says;
'and ol' Blackie.... they got nuthin' child on me..'

also that 'Hollies Greatest Vol 2' LP included the stereo full length version of '(Ain't That) Just Like Me' with complete guitar lines which Ron Richards edited for the mono hit single version which was later included on the 'History of The Hollies' UK Double album in 1975

The 'Nash' version of 'Survival of The Fittest' was recorded in August 1968 and is apparently complete - it being considered 'unuseable' probably means it requires proper mixing and mastering (and maybe some additional instrumentation) - which of course costs !

The March 1970 'Sylvester' version of 'Wings' appears to be complete too - it had amended lyrics as Ron Richards was considering it for a single but remains unissued

tracks such as 'Angel of The Morning' and 'Dang Me' (version one) were cut in January 1969 prior to Terry Sylvester's official intro and probably feature Allan Clarke taking the high harmony vocal

'Kentucky Woman', 'The Race is On', and 'Dang Me' (version two ) from 1969 all feature Terry Sylvester and appear to be complete - out takes from the abandoned 'Hollies Sing Country' project

Bernie Calvert's unissued instrumental '(No More) Snow on Heather Moor' has been in circulation on bootlegs and apparently sounds complete

- one bootleg CD even has it titled as; Snow on Heater Motor' ! lol

I'm sure I once read Tony Hicks say of 'Don't Close Your Eyes' that it was complete re the Clarke-Hicks-Nash vocals but required the instrumentation then mixing to be completed (I seem to recall Tony quoted as saying something like; 'we really must go back and finish that one off someday...').

often they sang a song through and it was the instrumentation and mixing that was incomplete - i.e. 'Schoolgirl', 'Sign of The Times', 'Samuel' etc

- and also the 'working version' of 'I Don't Understand You' from 1981 that slipped out briefly in Germany sounded complete enough even if not a great mix !

I've heard that The Hollies 1975 version of 'Born To Run' is complete vocally but is regarded as a 'working version' only with some instrumentation incomplete (often it was Hicks guitar parts that were added later - as re 'Yes I Will' and 'Like Everytime Before' - mono version only)
PostPosted:Wed Mar 29, 2017 14:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The one thing that i think that we can all agree: There are indeed recordings from which a 4th Hollies CD boxed set could be assembled.
Because live recordings would feature prominently, perhaps it could be titled

"Live Best + the Rest"
PostPosted:Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'll be honest I'd rather have a live DVD of this line up, shame we don't have one apart from the Europe one from many years ago.

PostPosted:Thu Mar 30, 2017 21:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

[quote="Anthony"]I'll be honest I'd rather have a live DVD of this line up, shame we don't have one apart from the Europe one from many years ago.[/quote]
Anthony, I agree with you 100%. It is always good to hear the old songs and we will never forget former members of the band, but Peter, Steve, Ray, Ian, Bobby and Tony are a band worth celebrating.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 01, 2017 15:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
frostina Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I agree!
PostPosted:Sun Apr 02, 2017 15:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic