Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » The Woman I Love
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
mcbobz Post subject: The Woman I Love

Hi All,

I was just wondering if there has ever been a live version of Woman i love recorded, either on a tv program or just audi, as i would love to get hold of a copy (legally of course)

Regards
bobz
PostPosted:Sun Aug 22, 2004 21:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hi Bobz,
I believe the song was sung along with He Ain't Heavy on TV back in 1993.
Don't ask me the name of the show as I have no idea. I do know Allan had his ponytail at the time.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 0:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Woman I Love is (sorry Ian Parker fans!) ruined Shocked by the irritating keyboard riff. As a 'modern' Hollies track, it's still 100 times better than '..Survive' Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 15:56 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I hate that keyboard smile! Otherwise it's a nice song. And I quite like How Do I Survive but not if you notice that it's the first new song in 10 years.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

They replace the word sh*t with smile??? Come on, isn't that childish?
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 16:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It sure is childish!

But a part from that the Hollies sound like they are stuck in a timewarp circa 1983 on How Do I Survive. It really is a depressing sound, of all the decades for the Hollies to get trapped in... The '80s!

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

No, It's not childish, after all, I am 54 years old. It's just a matter of decency.

There are children and woman who read this forum and I would not swear in front of either of them and I do not want bad language on this forum so swear words are automatically changed.

There are plenty of forums where you can swear, but this is not one of them.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 20:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Michael

I think that How Do I Survive doesn't sound like an '80s production, maybe more an '80s song. If it would be '80s production, which I really dislike, they would have put a lot more synthesizers and a huge echo on the snare drum.
As it is, it's in my opinion just very very very (I could repeat that word many more times) unspectacular. If they would release a new album and this would be just one of the songs it would be OK. But I think the worst thing is that they didn't write it themselve. Come on boys it isn't that hard to write a new song (...that is better than How Do I Survive). What was the last time that they released a selfwritten song? Too Many Hearts Get Broken? That's a long time since then isn't it?
But they don't seem very interested in writing and recording which is very sad but what can we do?

And to you Mr. Admin (or how should I call you?)

Just because you are 54 years old it doesn't mean that you can't behave childish! People of every age can behave childish so you can't tell me: I am 54 so you see I don't behave childish, right?
But with that I didn't want to offend you. I just think that it's really unnecessary to change words like that. Nobody wants to swear here. And I don't think that a lot of children read this forum and even if they did... it wouldn't matter if they read this. It wouldn't have any influence on them at all.
But apart from the unnecesarrity of changing those words - what I really meant with childish is the changing into the word "smile". If you would have changed it with this : "***" .
But changing it into smile... that just screams: "We are so nice people, we are always happy, let's dance all together hand in hand around the christmas tree!"

I hope you don't hate me now...

Written down it sounds a bit angry but it isn't meant to be that way. If I would say those thoughts to you face to face it would sound different.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 23, 2004 21:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I for one don't care if the guys change words to their songs or not, I like "The Woman I Love" even with the Keyboard riff and "How Do I Survive" is a good song as well.

And Rob, I don't like swearing either.

All The Best

Susie

Rolling Eyes Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:14 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Without getting into the subject of cursing - I can swear like a trooper when I don't feel like using my imagination - How Do I Survive took a musical eon to grow on me. My first reaction was solid performance, highly mediocre song - a decade without anything new and Tony, the man who discovered so many jewels by outside writers, picks this Question

While the song remained what it was, the UK shows I attended last November showed that the performance could be even better live than in the studio. But the clincher, the thing that FINALLY put the Hollies recording over the top for me, was hearing Amy Holland's original(?) version, circa 1980, about half a year ago. That combined a mediocre song and an incredibly lame, lifeless performance. Laughing Yes, Holland's version served as a bit of a "turkey tongue", possibly making the Hollies' take sound better than it really was. But if there wasn't an element of comparison and competition in the music biz, we wouldn't have the sales charts, now would we?

Obviously, if the The Hollies are going to find themselves trapped, as one writer put it, in any decade it should be the 60s or 70s, not the 80s (I hope music wasn't the real lesson/point of Orwell's 1984! Idea ).

Could be worse, though. They could try their hand at contemporary hip-hop... Embarassed (think in terms of the admonition in Jimi Hendrix's Third Stone From the Sun - "may you never hear surf music again") Twisted Evil

PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 14:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hip- hop, well it would be interesting, and it would certainly make them infamous! I always like Allan Clarke's comment about the punk- era and how the Hollies couldn't turn punk because they just weren't about that. It always suggests to me that they considered it...

I still think How Do I Survive is a pretty poor piece of '80s music. What relation is it to Jennifer Eccles? Jennifer Eccles is a song one could really deride, but put it up against How Do I Survive and you realise why the Hollies and British music in the '60s were really cool.

If you ask me the Hollies problem is that they have been around for so long. By 1970 they had put something like 23 songs into the British charts, that's phenomenal. Another four years later and they are still doing it. It is a rare pop-rock outfit that could last this length. 1986 they have a No. 1 ! And in 1993 they can still graze the top of the charts. This really is an amazing record.

It sounds like The Hollies just could not understand why they couldn't make hits in 1977 like they did in 1967. I think the answer is, just about no ban can run straight hits for 15 years.

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Aug 24, 2004 18:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Anthony, the programme was a UK lunchtime show called Pebble Mill.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Aug 25, 2004 14:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I prefer 'How Do I Survive' live, but admit, they could have done a whole lot worse and come out with something long, droney and boring. It's not bad but it's not the best.

'Woman I love' well I dunno about that one, I have to say I prefer HDIS to it. I think I find the lyrics a wee bit corny.

Ahh Gordy, fellow countryman now, Pebble Mill- was Woman I Love live on that??

for the cursing thing, if you want your word to turn up like **** then write that in.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 26, 2004 18:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I want it to turn up the way I wrote it.
But next time I will do it with ***.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 26, 2004 20:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

If you can't write using normal words, then don't write.

Intelligent people should not have to resort to profanities or using **** as substitutes.

Read the rules of the forum.

If you want to curse, I am sure you can find a suitable Mad to use

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Aug 26, 2004 21:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2