graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » No mention of Hollies new CD set and book ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: No mention of Hollies new CD set and book ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm surprised the Hollies Official Website so far (as of 11 July as I type this) makes no mention at all of either the release on 10 July of the New EMI / Warners 5 CD set 'Changin Times' (1969-73)

or of the recent publication by Red Planet Books of the first ever proper book on The Hollies titled; 'The Road is Long' by Brian Southall - available from Red Planet Books and via Amazon UK

I would have thought a new five CD set devoted to the group (including the first ever release of the legendary "lost" Hollies album 'Out on The Road' songs from 1973) plus the first ever book on The Hollies would be worthy of at least a mention surely ? Confused
PostPosted:Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I discovered an interview with Brian Southall which can still be heard at www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02szcnf
It begins 28 minutes into the show (from 24th June) and lasts for app. 15 minutes.
Has any member of the forum actually read this book? Is it worth buying or should we wait for Bobby's book?
PostPosted:Mon Jul 13, 2015 15:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes I have it & have read it

It's not a bad effort at all, telling the gist of The Hollies story mostly from formation (with a bit of earlier lives of members etc) up to 1974, than a perhaps all too brief part devoted to latter years....

If you want a deeper look at their music, albums, and more time devoted to say The Mike Rickfors era, Carl Wayne era, & the current Peter Howarth fronted Hollies you will be disappointed, but as a basic telling of their chart halcyon days & some interesting aspects during that time it's an important & interesting read with some good photos (tho' not that many)

It does NOT go into any opinionated views or details besides Eric Haydock's (the only Hollie member actually interviewed by the author) tho' Graham Nash answered some questions via email & Allan Clarke did a few tho' mostly referred to his archive interview comments etc

It seems neither Tony, Bobby, Bernie, Mike Rickfors or Terry Sylvester contributed, thus the book is a bit 'slanted' as a result of only Eric's input and nothing besides archive comments from them

The author did speak with Alan Parsons, and first proper Hollies manager Michael Cohen so some interesting input there.

Sadly key backroom figures Ron Richards (producer), Peter Bown (recording engineer) & manager Robin Britten are all no longer with us so only the odd quote from the past & a few memories of them are included

Obviously we all eagerly await Bobby's book (!) - but as a taster for that and as a FIRST 'proper' book devoted to The Hollies Brian Southall (& David Roberts) effort is to be praised and I'd say IS worth buying & having a good read through

There are a number of silly 'errors' which have been pointed out to the publisher of the book - which I'm told have been passed on to Brian Southall & David Roberts (David Roberts has confirmed this) and these are to be corrected, first on the Kindle edition, then asap in print , so if that's the case maybe it's worth a little wait (?)

I'm told the book has so far been selling well....
PostPosted:Mon Jul 13, 2015 18:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lynda Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I've just finished the book and was very disappointed particularly with Eric's bitterness towards the group.

I found a few contradictions - for example, quotes from Bernie and Terry. The author says at the beginning of the book that he couldn't contact Bernie because he didn't know where he was and he also said that Terry was one of the members who didn't respond to his request for input.

Much of it is quotes from interviews that are easily found on the internet.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 14, 2015 21:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thank you both for your comments. I have to admit that I was not impressed with the radio interview I found - neither the author or the interviewer seemed to be "on the ball" with their comments. I have decided to wait for Bobby's book!!
PostPosted:Wed Jul 15, 2015 16:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1