graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Writing On The Wall » 2014
graphic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: 2014

Site Admin

Concert reviews from 2014

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:40 pm

Last edited by hollies on Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: State Theatre, Sydney - 15th February 2014 By Susie Hewitt

Site Admin

The Hollies - State Theatre, Sydney - 15th February 2014

Last Night, I went to The State Theatre in Sydney and saw The Hollies and once again they were absolutely sensational. Peter was in top form with his singing as were the other guys. Wish I could sing like them.

The concert began at exactly 8.00pm and the band performed until 9.00, then there was a 20 minute interval, they came back on stage at 9.20 and performed until 10.30 I met a very nice lady and her husband who are from Perth and we had a good conversation. During the first set I was towards the back of The Stalls on the end of the row and at half time The lady from Perth came to me and said there was an empty seat down the front behind her so that is where I watched the second set.

Anyway, The Hollies began the first set with Curly Billy, followed by I Can't Let Go, Jennifer Eccles, Yes I Will and The Very Last Day. While the band sang Just One Look, Ian walked through the audience playing a Tambourine and when he walked passed me I held my hand out and he grabbed hold of it and shook and gave me a nice smile (my thrill for the night). As it was dark in places (especially At the back), Ian wore a band around his forehead with a small light attached to it so he can see where he was going.

Peter performed a lovely acoustic version of Sandy and Look Through Any Window.

Steve sang Lead Vocals on King Midas In Reverse with Tony and Ray doing backing vocals.

The second set began with. I'm Alive, followed by Sorry Suzanne and Bus Stop. They also sang Carrie Anne, Stay, Weakness, The Air That I
Breathe, Long Cool Woman, He Ain't Heavy, Let Love Pass, Stop Stop Stop, plus a few more

Steve, Tony and Ray sang a medley consisting of Listen To Me, Here I go again and Gasoline Alley Bred on which Steve sang Lead Vocals again.

During Stop Stop Stop, Ian came to the front of the stage and played his accordion and shared Tony's microphone with him. On Weakness, Peter, Tony and Steve shared the same microphone.

On Carrie Anne, Peter got us all to sing the chorus as loud as we can and the boys really got everyone going with Long Cool Woman. Most people in the stalls got up and started to jump around and dance as well as sing along and we again had to sing as loud as possible.

Toward the end of the concert Peter called Tony and Bobby Rock And Roll Legends like he did last year and I agree 100%.

The Hollies ended the concert with The Air That I Breathe for which they receive a standing ovation, He Ain't Heavy and got another standing ovation and Let Love Pass with Peter, Tony, Ray and Steve sharing the one microphone while Bobby and Ian stood behind them. Bobby had a camera and took some photos. Right at the end all 6 guys stood in a line on the stage and gave their final bows, that's when they received their third standing ovation.

The Hollies are what you call real entertainers who know how to get their audience going and in a good mood.

My score for the concert is 100%.

Long live The Hollies, the best Rock And Roll Band ever. I Hope to see you back in Australia very soon.

By Susie Hewett
PostPosted:Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:52 pm

Last edited by hollies on Mon Feb 24, 2014 20:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: Wollongong - 16th February 2014 by Malcolm Rowney

Site Admin

THE HOLLIES IN WOLLONGONG -16 February 2014

In the city 80 kilometres south of Sydney on the east coast of Australia at the venue of the Wollongong’s WIN Entertainment Centre, the 50-year-old English group and Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, The Hollies played on the Sunday 16th February before an appreciative crowd for their very first performance in ’the Gong’.

The weather did not match the great atmosphere in the hall as it continued to rain outside. This led Peter to comment during proceedings - ‘this is the sort of weather we have at home, but warmer. Where is the sunshine?’

The group played with exuberance and flair and their talent has not diminished one iota.

In the case of members from 1963, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott’s prowess on guitar and drums respectively, has been enhanced and honed through the constant playing for all these years.

Bobby colours the songs with subtle cymbal work and his fills are intricate and precise and he drives the rhythm in the tougher songs like ‘Curly Billy’.

Tony is a guitarist of excellent standing and his dexterity on the fret board is flowing and exquisite, the sitar guitar instrumental to ‘The Baby’ exemplifies his ability.

The Hollies have been blessed with lead singers of high calibre, with Allan Clarke distinctive vocals until 1999 (with Mikael Rickfors for two years in the 70s), Carl Wayne for the next four years until his death and now Peter Howarth, for the last ten years, who is continuing with fine vocal nuance and power depending on the song.

His solo in ‘Here I Go Again’ was a delight to witness and runs the gamut in dynamics as he accompanied himself on acoustic guitar with instrumental guitar skills that are very impressive.

The vocal harmonies that The Hollies are known for are as good as they ever were with Steve Lauri and Ray Styles and Tony to the fore especially in ‘Listen To Me’, ‘Gasoline Alley Bred’ and with Peter in ‘Stewball’ and ‘Sorry Suzanne’ for example. Ray’s intricate bass lines added to the arrangements, with Ian’s keyboards adding orchestral tone colour as well as piano and even ‘Horse whinnying’ at the conclusion of ‘Stewball’

The change of lead singers in songs varied the proceedings and kept the crowd on their toes - Steve Lauri on ‘King Midas In Reverse’, Tony on ‘Too Young To Be Married’ and ‘Then, Now And Always (Dolphin Days)’. At times the band numbers changed with Ray joining the front centre as Peter took a break. As Tony said once ‘He’s off again!’

There was a bit of light heartedness present on stage as Steve and Tony entered with drinks and gurgling sounds emanated from Ian’s keyboards as each drank. In the first song Peter cheekily looked at his watch as latecomers walked along the front row. Ian donned a light on his head and ventured out into the audience playing a tambourine during ‘Just One Look’. When Peter came back on stage to sing the closing part to ‘Then Now and Always, he joined Ray at the back to the right of Bobby. As he and Ray sang, Peter appeared to wipe the perspiration of Ray’s brow with his own necktie.

Prior to ‘Weakness,’ Peter stated that this came from the album ‘Staying Power’ and asked if anyone owned it. With a negative audience response he said ‘thought so’ but he was incorrect. I do own it but with a cold I could not respond.

Following Peter’s introduction of Tony on the banjo the first note that he produced was not clear and Tony stated ‘we can do better than this.’ With further testing he decided to keep going and it went off without any further hitches. His consummate solo introduction kept the audience’s attention. This led into a particular favourite of mine – ‘Stop Stop Stop’.

‘Long Cool Woman’ was an audience participation number with Peter exhorting the crowd to sing louder.

As the Hollies had not set foot in Wollongong before, one member stated he had. Before he sang ‘King Midas’. Steve reminisced that he went to school at Wollongong Primary in 1966 when he was 12 and that he lived in Burelli Street (which was close by the precincts of the concert venue). He went on further to say that the first single given to him by his parents was ‘Stay’ by The Hollies. Needless to say, jokes were forthcoming about his early sojourn in Australia from Peter and Bobby.

This was a tremendous concert as always and I have never failed to be thrilled by watching The Hollies whenever I have witnessed their performances from 1975 onwards. It was gratifying to see them on my home turf when the venue was only ten minutes away. Come back soon.

The Hollies are indeed England’s and the World’s musical treasure. Appreciate while you can.

SET LIST
1st HALF
THE DAY THAT CURLY BILLY SHOT DOWN CRAZY SAM McGEE
I CAN”T LET GO
JENNIFER ECCLES
YES I WILL
ON A CAROUSEL
THEN NOW AND ALWAYS (DOLPHIN DAYS)
SANDY
KING MIDAS IN REVERSE
VERY LAST DAY
JUST ONE LOOK
STAY
TOO YOUNG TO BE MARRIED
LOOK THROUGH ANY WINDOW

2nd HALF
I’M ALIVE
SORRY SUZANNE
BUS STOP
STEWBALL
THE BABY
HERE I GO AGAIN
MEDLEY- LISTEN TO ME, HEY WILLY. GASOLINE ALLEY BRED
WEAKNESS
CARRIE ANN
STOP STOP STOP
LONG COOL WOMAN IN A BLACK DRESS
HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE’S MY BROTHER
THE AIR THAT I BREATHE
LET LOVE PASS

By MALCOLM ROWNEY
PostPosted:Mon Feb 17, 2014 13:05 pm

Last edited by hollies on Mon Feb 24, 2014 20:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: Wollongong, 16th February 2014 by Sharyn Hamey

Site Admin

One of the U.K.'s most famous and the world's most loved groups of the sixties and beyond has been playing to sell out crowds around Australia on their 2014 tour and Wollongong, south of Sydney, finally got their chance to enjoy those perfect Hollies harmonies on Sunday night at the WIN Entertainment Centre.

Their music spans more than fifty years and they are one of the few bands from that era (and subsequent eras) to have never officially called it quits. Despite some line-up changes along the way, The Hollies have continued to entertain music lovers around the world throughout the decades, without ever really changing their style. Sure, there is variety in their extensive catalogue of hits but their songs all carry those hallmark Hollies harmonies and that identifiable Hollies sound.

There was no support act for The Hollies. Let's face it, this is a group that has churned out more than enough hits to fill a three hour set every night for a week so cutting it down to a couple of hours wouldn't have been an easy task but they managed to include most if not all of the favourites and if there was anything missing, I'm sure they could be forgiven for not finding a space to slot it in somewhere.

These days, The Hollies is Tony Hicks on guitar, sitar, banjo and vocals; Bobby Elliott on drums; Ian Parker on keyboards and vocals; Steve Lauri on guitar and vocals; Ray Stiles on bass and vocals and Peter Howarth on acoustic guitar and lead vocals.

After various line-up changes over the years, the only original member in the band is Tony. However, Bobby Elliott joined the following year, 1963, which is close enough I guess. That is fifty odd years each... do they give out gold watches to band members?

Despite the line-up changes and having various vocalists along the way, as I said before, the hallmark Hollies harmonies have remained intact throughout and the band has continued to tour, perform and record, barely skipping a beat in the process.

The show was basically a History of The Hollies, full of classic hits and musical milestones.

We were given some background into many of the songs and I, for one learnt something new when we were told that the song 'Sandy' was, in fact, penned by a young Bruce Springsteen. Now, I will probably get severely scolded for admitting that as I am a huge fan of The Boss and I pride myself in my Springsteen knowledge but I guess, on this occasion, I have failed rather miserably. Either way, it is a beautiful song and The Hollies' rendition is nothing short of mesmerising.

Guitarist Steve Lauri shared the story of his very young school days in Wollongong, attending Wollongong Primary School and told us the name of the street in which he lived in those days. He also disclosed the fact that he was, indeed, a Hollies fan when he was a young boy and that one of their albums was amongst the first records his parents bought for him so becoming a part of that band many years later was a dream come true for him.

The band did two sets, each jam packed with much loved Hollies songs. In the first set, we were treated to 'I Can't Let Go', 'Jennifer Eccles', 'Carousel', 'Just One Look' and 'Too Young to be Married', just to name a few.

After a brief intermission, the guys returned for another hour or so of hit after hit including 'Sorry Suzanne', 'Bus Stop', 'Carrie Anne', a medley consisting of 'Listen to Me', 'Here I Go Again' and 'Gasoline Alley Bred'.

The crowd finally got on their feet for one of the band's biggest hits here in Australia in the seventies, the very upbeat 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' then slowed down the pace with what has become something of a signature tune for The Hollies, the rather poignant 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother', beautifully performed and greatly deserving of the standing ovation it earned the band on the night.

The closer was their highly successful 'Air That I Breathe', their harmonies yet again, another delight to the senses.

The encore, after much prompting from an audience that was not too eager to let the night end just yet, was an acapella version of 'Let Love Pass', with Peter, Steve, Tony, Ray and Ian all taking to the microphone as Bobby looked on from behind.

A perfect, harmonious ending to a great night's entertainment.

To view gallery of images click HERE

by Sharyn Hamey, Courtesy of Rock Club 40!
PostPosted:Fri Feb 21, 2014 21:14 pm

Last edited by hollies on Mon Feb 24, 2014 20:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: Festival Theatre, Adelaide, 9th February 2014

Site Admin

Adelaide is so busy at this time of year. Round about February and March everything happens. We call it Mad March. The Fringe, the Festival, Womadelaide, Clipsal and other artists coming over to perform. It is our autumn, not too hot or cold, so a good time weather-wise to have things on, but so much at once! And in 2014 it was started off by The Hollies.

What a thrill to hear the band were coming back to Australia just a year after they were last down this way. This time they were actually coming to Adelaide!! I didn’t have to buy a plane ticket to Melbourne! I had to pinch myself.

For the last few weeks lots of things have been happening to us personally. Mike has just bought a house, so amongst all the excitement and angst of moving it suddenly occurred to me – hey, this weekend is The Hollies. Can’t miss that, it would be detrimental.

Again Jemima was accompanying me, as she had enjoyed the Melbourne concert last year. She joked about saying, “No I don’t want to go,” just to tease me. But I knew she did really. It’s because she has since discovered a few 21st century singers that she makes jokes about The Hollies. Our friend Ray was meant to come with us, but he got sick so we had to ask other friends, unless I could twist Mike’s arm. But we found our friend Adelina was interested.

Jemima is a strong-willed feisty young madam prone to tantrums, and tonight was no exception. I was trying to get her to do her reading homework before we went out, and she didn’t want to, which led to arguments. I guess I could say at least she got the tantrum out of the way before the concert. And I managed to get her to read a little bit. She said she would do the rest when we got home, I kept telling her it would be late. At least she was calm by the time Adelina arrived at our flat and we were on our way to the city.

Of course each time we visit the Festival Theatre, Jemima has to look at the fountains at the front. I kept saying, “We don’t have time, I have to deliver the flowers at the stage door,” but Adelina said she would stay with Jemima while I did my delivery. As I handed in the flowers and card, I wondered whether I should ask if I could see any of the band members, but they were probably busy getting ready for the show. It wasn’t like in England, when I was on holidays and could go to the venues early and meet them as they arrived.

When I was reunited with the other two, we made our way into the foyer and finally to our seats when the doors opened. Three rows from the front, not bad considering the tickets were selling so quickly when they first came out, that most of the good seats had already gone by the time I got mine.

Then came the show.

As the band members came onstage and started the intro for Curly Billy, I noticed Peter looking straight at me and waving. Wow, did he recognise me from the photo I slipped inside the card, or was it because I had a little girl? For he waved to Jemima immediately after. Well, she can’t cry about not being waved to, like she did in Melbourne! She was even wearing the same dress she wore to the Melbourne concert thinking it would help her be recognised. Well I think it worked.

And so the show went on with all the familiar hits – I Can’t Let Go, Just One Look, Dolphin Days, King Midas. When The Very Last Day and Stay were playing, Ian came to the front to play the tambourine, and Pete made the joke of how he studied Tambourine when he did music studies at Uni.

During Stay, Jemima kept nudging me and pointing in some direction amongst the audience. How annoying that she has to keep pointing at things when I’m trying to watch a show. Then I realised she was pointing at Ian. Shame on me, I was too busy watching Steve and Ray at the time that I didn’t notice Ian sneak offstage and into the auditorium. He even walked along the front row and sat on a vacant seat amongst the audience. Hmmm, the show was sold out! Was the owner of that seat sick or was it reserved for Ian for the act?

Tony got out his electric sitar to play The Baby. Peter calls it a guitar-sitar. As in Melbourne, when Tony played the intro of The Baby, his playing sounded so much like Mark Knopfler. He must be a psychic; he must know who my other favourite is.

And Peter once again did a lovely version of Sandy on acoustic guitar. Quite a coincidence that Bruce Springsteen, the writer of that song, was to play in Adelaide in a couple of nights time. Peter said, “He’s not playing tonight, is he?” No, definitely not. Adelina was seeing Bruce, and when I asked her to The Hollies, she had to check that the nights didn’t clash.

During the interval Adelina made the comment “Wow, they really are good!” Of course they are.

The second act continued with more hits. Ray, Steve and Tony did a medley of various hits that included Listen to Me, Gasoline Alley Bred, and one song I had never heard live before, Hey Willy. Everyone sitting near me would have been wondering why I had my hand on my mouth trying not to laugh. I can’t help remembering that old film-clip, where Tony had a moustache and Allan was dressed in some bearskin outfit that was trendy in the early 70’s.

And of course The Hollies can’t do a show in Australia without singing Too Young to be Married. It was number one down here, and everyone remembers. Such cheering in the audience when this song came on.
Another most important thing happened just as the second act began. Peter started talking to Jemima. He asked her name, how old she was, what did Mummy do to make her well-behaved (huh, he didn’t see us yelling at each other before we went out). When she called out her name, seven, Peter didn’t quite hear, and asked again, “How old are you?” Then Steve said, “Seventeen.” Jemima then went on to say, “We saw you in Melbourne last year.” Well, she definitely can’t complain about not being noticed now (neither can I).

When Peter brought Bobby to the front to have a few words with the audience, Bobby presented some notes on an old piece of paper, extracts of his diary. He mentioned playing in Memorial Drive back in the early 70’s, first time they came to Adelaide, and what a good time they had back then. I would have been Jemima’s age at the time.

Peter sang his version of Here I Go Again, once again we heard that acoustic guitar. And the music went on, complete with maracas for Carrie Anne and Stop Stop Stop. The latter once again brought back memories, thoughts of long ago. I was sitting right in the middle of the row, so couldn’t get up to belly-dance. If I had been sitting in an aisle seat I wonder if I would have plucked up the courage and done it in the aisle – and whether the usherette would have told me to sit down.

But sitting down was what we were told not to do when Long Cool Woman began. Peter started by pointing to a lady behind us who was getting very excited – and wearing a black dress – and said, “Come on stand up, we know you want to do it, get up.” Then he coaxed everyone to stand up and dance, and sing the chorus. Different sections of the theatre had to take turns to sing out “Long Cool Woman!!!” And just like last year, when Jemima was starting to get tired and lie in my lap or Adelina’s lap, Long Cool Woman would be the song that would get her up again – she didn’t need Berocca.

And to finish off we had the old classics He Ain’t Heavy and The Air That I Breathe. Just before they started the latter, Peter said, “For this song, if your loved one is next to you, put your arm around them.” But Jemima cringed, “Aw Mum” when I tried to hug her.

And finally the a Capella Let Love Pass was sung, and the boys were waving good-bye and leaving the stage. And the lights were coming on, so no chance for an encore, alas.

As we were coming into the foyer I asked Jemima if she was tired and ready to go home. “No,” she said indignantly. I want to go the stage door!” My goodness, what have I done to her? She wouldn’t even go to the toilet. She could go afterwards. I said, “But the theatre will be locked.” “Well I’ll hold on till we get home,” she said. She really did want to meet Peter.
I asked Adelina if she wanted to leave. She said she was happy to go to the stage door. I kept telling Jemima that we could not stay there too long. If they didn’t come out after a certain length of time we would just have to go home, as she had school the next day.

At the stage door I was asked to wait at the end of the driveway. But Jemima worried that if we weren’t right next to the door we might miss them. And when I saw other fans walk towards the door and not be sent back, then I said, “Right, let’s go.” Adelina said she would stay by the driveway and mind the bags, so Jemima and I went right up to the stage door, autograph book and camera in hand.

And we weren’t disappointed. We could actually get a good view of the corridor inside, through the windows by the door, and saw a few of the band members walking around. Jemima was jumping up and down waving her arms, trying to get attention. A few minutes later Tony came out. I can see he likes children, from the way he immediately acknowledged Jemima. Has Paul given him any grandchildren yet?

I had to hold Jemima back while he signed autographs for other fans, then we had our photo. I said, “I don’t need an autograph, I already have it. I saw you in England for your 40th.” I’m not sure if he remembered me or not.

I was trying to get Jemima to leave, telling her we’d seen one of them, and the important one, the original. But she wouldn’t leave until she had met Peter. While Tony was talking to other fans, she tried to get his attention, to ask him to fetch Peter. I kept holding her back, saying, “Wait till he’s finished talking to the others.” I even had to pull her away when other fans were having photos taken.

She finally did get Tony’s attention again, and said, “Can you get Peter?” Tony disappeared back into the stage door, and a few minutes later, Peter appeared. And Jemima was jumping up and down. A thrill for me too, as this was the first time I had met Peter. Yes, he’s just as nice as the others I’ve met. Easy to chat too – well, Jemima finds it easy to chat to anyone.

While we were talking to Peter, Tony walked past and said jokingly, “Well if you prefer him, I’m going.” I called out to him, “I prefer you, I’m older.” Not sure if Peter heard that.

Amongst the other fans at the door were two ladies, a mother and daughter, who had a muscle-man doll that they acquired at a charity function. They take it to shows as a good luck charm and if they meet the artists afterwards, they photograph the artists holding this doll. They took photos of both Tony and Peter, and even photographed Jemima holding the doll.

When we came back to Adelina, she said she saw Tony pass, and had spoken to him. Well, she can now boast that she too has talked to a Hollie.

So now we were walking back to the car, still thrilled over the show, the three of us. When Adelina dropped us home, Mike actually came outside to meet us, just as I was saying to Adelina, ”I wonder if he’s asleep.” Was he worried about us getting home late (we weren’t that late).

Sadly, I had another concern to deal with, after calming down from the thrill of the concert. Mike was complaining about bad stomach pains, and didn’t sleep that night. He has since been to hospital and is home again, back to his normal self, rest assured.

As for Jemima, I wondered how soon she would settle into bed, but she did. As promised, she did finish her reading homework, even though it was late, and went to sleep. And she got up the next morning and made it to school as normal.

Well, I don’t know if I will ever see this beloved band again, but I will always feel truly blessed.

Christine Wilson
PostPosted:Mon Feb 24, 2014 20:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: CBS Canterbury Arena, 21st February

Site Admin

Reviewed by Vicki Anderson.

Amongst the first words from British band The Hollies was "Didn't fancy the rugby then?"

Two major events in close proximity led to some parking frustrations in Addington last night. When I arrived at CBS Arena two parking attendants were yelling frantically at each other as groups carrying beer wandered past, on their way to watch the Crusaders lose to the Chiefs.

With more hit singles than The Beatles in the 1960s The Hollies performed last night to mark both their 50th anniversary celebrations and their latest live album.

Peter Howarth said he was sad they weren't performing at the Christchurch Town Hall - they last performed there in February 2011. The band fondly recalled recording their Live Hits album there in 1976.

Hits performed last night stretched back to the band's early days as on Just One Look, which saw keyboardist Ian Parker don a miner's helmet with torch and wander through the crowd with his tambourine, alongside On A Carousel, Sorry Suzanne, Carrie Anne, Bus Stop and stretched through to their more recent Then Now Always (Dolphin Days).

There were songs that were hits in Scandinavia and New Zealand, a curious number about a racehorse named Stewball who liked wine, reverential guitar sitar moments with Tont Hicks and all were complete with the glorious three part harmonies that is The Hollies' trademark.

Howarth's own unique arrangement of Here I Go Again saw the song stripped back to its essence.

But the highlight of their set came in the final quarter with songs like my personal favourite - The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee, Stop Stop Stop - written after the then teens saw bellydancing in a New York club with a "villain" of a record company manager, and Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress.

Aware of the anniversary of the quake today, The Hollies praised the city's sense of "unity", having earlier praised Smash Palace and helpful "Dave" at a local squash club, before dedicating He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother to the people of Christchurch.

Two people who know all about long roads with winding turns are renowned drummer Bobby Elliott and Hicks, who have somewhat impressively toured every year for 50 years.

I left with encore The Air That I Breathe rolling around my brain.

The Hollies are to be commended for their enduring dedication and commitment to their Christchurch fans.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: Melbourne Hamer Hall, 19/02/14 by Anthony Strelley

Site Admin

The day has arrived, The Hollies Melbourne show, it’s the last in Australia before the head off to New Zealand.

Before the show I met up with a couple from West Australia, have a great chat all things Hollies and then it’s time to take our seats. I’m in the first row located in between Tony and Peter, great seats.

Not long to wait and The Hollies walk on stage, Tony leads us into Curly Billy, a great song to start the show, we are followed by three classics from the 60’s I can’t let go, Jennifer Eccles, by this stage Peter is encourageing the audience to to join in then we have Yes I will.

Tony then talks about playing all the hits they had in Australia and how they would be playing their live album, he introduces the next song On a Carousel, great version of this Hollies classic.

Now Tony introduces Then Now and Always a song written by Bobby. By this stage Bobby had left the drums and having a walk about stage, the audience laughs and Tony looks back to see Bobby gone, he says he hopes he returns for the song. Then he speaks about the pre Hollies days and how they would send off Demo tapes and then all these years after they are still here. Tony does a great job singing this solo but in the middle his mike fails and a about 20 seconds we get no vocals. When the number ends he says to Peter he made a mistake in the song so it proves they are singing live,
he then bangs the speaker box facing him, Peter comes over and has an air kick at the equipment too.

Now Peter intros Sandy, Ray joins Tony at the front and Steve leaves the stage, Peter accompanies himself on acoustic guitar, he does a brilliant job, not only does he sing brilliantly but his guitar playing is just wonderful to hear and see.

Steve’s turn to sing lead with King Midas, Peter leaves the stage, funny I never liked this song but I love this version, great song.

Now Tony tells us how some record company's around the world would choose songs they felt was right for their countries and this was one from Scandinavia, Very Last Day, I just love this song.

Now two real old numbers, Just one look and Stay, now Ian takes over the tambourine , Peter said the band wants to strip these songs back to their original versions, Ian does his walk about the audience and its the first time I’d seen it done with a light on his forehead, just pure entertainment, fantastic.

Now for a magical moment, Tony picks up the acoustic guitar and plays Too Young To Be Married, this was a big number one here in Australia, the audience sang along, Tonys guitar solo was just brilliant.

Now for the fantastic version of Look Through Any Window, starts off slow then half way through Bobby kicks in with the drums then the two magical guitar solos between both Tony and Steve. Thats the first half completed,

After around 20 minutes the lights dim and The Hollies return to the stage, We have more classic 60’s hits with I’m Alive, Sorry Suzanne, Peter then introduces Bus Stop and encourage us not to join in then said he was joking,

Stewball followed then we were in for a treat with Tony and his sitar guitar, what a great intro to what is another great version of The Baby.

Bobby leaves his drums and takes centre stage, pulls out a peace of paper and said The Hollies first concert in Melbourne was in 1971, the audience was seven thousand and there was no air-conditioning. The guy sitting next me yelled out it was Festival Hall.

Peter then does his solo version of Here I go again, a brilliant version and magical guitar playing. He leaves the stage and Steve, Ray and Tony take centre stage for a medley of songs, Listen to me, Hey Willy and Gasoline Alley Bred. I really loved Hey Willy a great rockin version of a brilliant song.

Peter intros Weakness and spoke of how it was a newer recording and they liked the song so much they have done it in every show, I’m pleased they do, it’s a great song.

Now I feel the show even moves up a notch with Carrie Anne, by this stage everybody was singing in, just wonderful,

Tony's magic was displayed in Stop Stop Stop on his banjo, what a spectacular intro, the audience was really getting into it. Now Peter introduces an American number one and also a big hit here, he asked the audience to get up and dance, Long Cool Woman, the place was rocking, the audience was singing along, at the end Peter said it was the best singing he heard this tour, Bobby said Adelaide was very good, then Peter said it was the best he heard today.

We are now treated to He Ain't Heavy, a Hollies classic, I’m amazed at just how good a job Peter does, he has a wonderful voice.

Peter then talks about being with the ones you love and sings The Air That I Breathe.

Now for another favourite of the newer songs, Let Love pass, what a night, it’s was just pure magic.

I thought this show was even better than the show they did here last year, we had far more audience participation. The concert left me wanting more. What a fantastic night, so many hits, the band are just great showmen, harmonies out of this world, the show is laced with humour.

Just hope we get a return visit next year.

Anthony Strelley
PostPosted:Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: Southport, 28/11/14 Courtesy Reviewbeat - Martin Hutchinson

Site Admin

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Wed Dec 10, 2014 23:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Writing On The Wall
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1