Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New three CD set 50 AT FIFTY
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: New three CD set 50 AT FIFTY

Site Admin

THE HOLLIES: 50 AT FIFTY -- To order your copy and for full details See See Here --- For a review of the set, See Here

Three-Disc Collection Celebrates The 50-Year Anniversary Of The Band’s Debut Album With 50 Tracks Spanning The Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer’s Extensive Career

Includes All The Hits, Live Cuts, And One Newly Recorded Song; Available September 22nd from Parlophone See Here

The Hollies Will Also Launch European Tour This Fall[/b]

The Hollies are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the band’s 1964 debut album with a tour, as well as a new 50-track collection that spans the British hit-makers’ entire career, including “Skylarks,” an unreleased track that was recorded just this year. 50 AT FIFTY will be available on September 22nd.

Pop pioneers known for their distinctive three-part harmonies, The Hollies (Allan Clarke, Bobby Elliott, Tony Hicks, Graham Nash and Eric Haydock,) released their debut album on Parlophone in 1964. A familiar fixture on the music charts during the Sixties and Seventies, The Hollies scored almost two dozen hits in the U.S. and even more in the U.K. In recognition of the band’s achievements, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted The Hollies in 2010.

50 AT FIFTY tells the band’s history in song, beginning with The Hollies’ first single (Ain’t That) Just Like Me and ending with the newly recorded Skylarks. The music spans 1963 to 2014 and spotlights all of the group’s best-known songs, including the top 5 UK hits: Look Through Any Window, Bus Stop, Stop! Stop! Stop! On A Carousel, Carrie Anne, He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother, The Air That I Breathe, the platinum-certified smash, Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) and I Can’t Tell The Bottom From The Top.
In addition to the hits, the collection also spotlights gems like Hey Willy, and Lonely Hobo Lullaby as well as covers of Emmylou Harris’ Boulder To Birmingham and Bruce Springsteen’s 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy). The set also features several live recordings, including performances of the 1967 single “On A Carousel” and “Too Young To Be Married, from Confessions Of The Mind (1970).

The new song Skylarks was recorded this year by the band’s current line-up, which includes long-time members Hicks and Elliott along with Peter Howarth, Steve Lauri, Ray Stiles, and Ian Parker. Skylark was written by Elliott and Howarth, produced and arranged by Steve Lee Vickers, and mixed by Grammy® award winner Paul Hicks. To mark the golden anniversary of the band’s debut album, this version of The Hollies will embark upon a European tour in September.

“It’s over fifty years since I first wrote a Hollies song, it was the B-side of ‘Just One Look,’ and I shared the writing with Tony. Today I feel quite privileged to be writing the 50th track on this compilation, which contains some of our best work. I’m in good company with my buddies Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks, and Graham Nash, who, throughout our career, have written some outstanding Hollies material.” says Elliott. ‘Skylarks’ takes us in a new direction - nothing new for The Hollies. It’s back to our inventive roots in many ways.”

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:40 pm

Last edited by hollies on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Great that a new original track has been recorded for this set - and 'Let Her Go Down' and 'Stop in The Name of Love' both featuring Graham Nash from 1983 are included here.

Good to see Bobby Elliott and Peter Howarth teaming up and composing new material for the group - an ALL original Hollies studio album with songs written by Bobby, Peter...plus Steve Lauri, Ray Stiles and Ian Parker maybe contributing to the material...(?)

...and of course the eagerly awaited and much wanted return of Mr. Tony Hicks as a composer for The Hollies would be MUCH appreciated by Hollies fans...! Cool
PostPosted:Mon Aug 18, 2014 18:47 pm

Last edited by Gee on Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

All Hollies fans will have their own favourites which they think should be included on a CD release such as this but one significant period (though small in time) is not covered-surely "How do I survive?" deserves a mention? Carl Wayne would have been 71 years old yesterday. When the Hollies were in Nottingham in either 2001 or 2003 Carl was interviewed on local radio and he said that one album track (which is on the new release) had been considered as a song for the set list. This song is the beautiful "Boulder to Birmingham". I will make a point of thinking of Carl when I hear that song in future.
ps:(HINT!) wouldn't "Boulder to Birmingham" sound wonderful sung by the current members! It is the type of song just made for Peter to sing.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 19, 2014 17:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good points Emily - Is the Carl Wayne line up even included in the cover pictures collage ?
PostPosted:Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 am

Last edited by Gee on Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Lots of good points raised by Gee. Some I agree with and some I don't. The Carl Wayne period of the band is most certainly where I feel the band regained some cred. I saw them in Australia as well as the UK and Carl gave that extra to the band. I have seen the band twice here in Oz over the last 2 years and the band wasn't of the same quality as with Carl.
Now about this new release.
Without going on too much and I haven't timed the discs but it seems that they could have fitted all these tracks on a bit over two discs and many more tracks could have been used. I am over continually getting the same tracks issued/reissued over and over. Who are the compilers aiming these discs at? Most certainly not the real fans and collectors. S**t how many times can I get Bus Stop, Stop Stop Stop, On A Carousel, Carrie Anne and King Midas as well as all the other tracks they continually use. Just add one new track and all will be ok. Not in my case. I think I have Stop Stop Stop over 50 times in my collection and most of the other tracks about the same amount of times. I am over this b**ls**t. I understand that the new owners of EMIneed to recoup some of their outlay but the best way I feel is to give something new. That being more new recordings by the current band or some of the older tracks using some imagination about what is already out there. I am guessing there are also some unerleased tracks still not released.
Does anybody care? My guess is that the record companies and the Hollies don't give a damm. After all they do get the songwriters royalties don't they. Hicks and co must surely be looking after their mates financially. It is about time other people were considered especially the fans. My guess is that if we fans didn't buy this type of compilation they not many would buy it. Doing this a couple of time would surely send the message to the companies and the band that they need to look at a bigger picture.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Last edited by wishyouawish on Wed Aug 20, 2014 23:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A good point re the CD running times ....
PostPosted:Wed Aug 20, 2014 17:17 pm

Last edited by Gee on Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The new track Skylarks is produced by Steve Lee Vickers. Does anybody know who this guy is? I've googlade him and found that he's a composer producer and is making comercials. I also found that he's from Nelson, Tonys hometown.

It's thrilling that Bobby and Peter has written this tune. Can't wait to listen to it...
PostPosted:Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Although, like many of us, I've got 99 percent of these tracks already, I'll still buy this set - A) Because of the new song and B) Because it's mostly in chronological order (UK releases that is). Checking out the singles list, it's only after Bus Stop when the next release was After the Fox - Pay You Back With Interest has been added to the CD instead. It must be something to do with the ownership of ATF? It then carries on with Stop Stop Stop, as per the next UK release.
Carl Wayne should definitely be represented on this set/cover, but for me, personally, I was seriously considering 'giving up' on going to see The Hollies live. I felt I was seeing Carl Wayne and his backing group. I got fed up with The Move songs, thinking "hang on a minute, I thought I was here to see The Hollies"!! After Carl unfortunately passed away and The Hollies came back with a new singer, I thought I would give them one more chance - I saw and heard Peter, like a breath of fresh air, and I've stayed with them ever since Smile
PostPosted:Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

'After The Fox' was NOT an 'official' Hollies single - released on 45rpm without the band's prior knowledge or agreement it was taken from the film soundtrack and featured Peter Sellers on a 'comedy' lead vocal - singing in character from the film - & with Jack Bruce on bass with Burt Bacharach himself on piano, it was released on United Artists not EMI's Parlophone label

Even the recording session had been a bit fraut with Sellers (& Beatles) producer George Martin & Hollies mentor Ron Richards each 'turning up' their artists more (per Bobby - who was impressed with Jack Bruce's basswork contribution - Jack then with Manfred Mann & about to form Cream)

As ATF failed to chart coming between their real USA break through hit 'Bus Stop' and their own next hit single they were probably quite happy to quietly 'distance' themselves from it...

Graham Nash disliked the thing probably feeling it was a 'comedy record' in the same style as say a few Freddie & The Dreamers ('Short Shorts') & the odd Herman's Hermits song ('I'm Henery The Eighth' & 'I'm Leaning on A Lampost') etc...not indicative at all of 'proper' Hollies music being a cover version too- just as they were, with Bernie Calvert now on bass guitar & keyboards, getting alot more into only releasing their own Clarke-Hicks-Nash songs with 'For Certain Because..' album & the racier 'Stop Stop Stop' single up next... Cool
PostPosted:Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 am

Last edited by Gee on Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks Gee, that explains why ATF was not included in the new CD collection.
Regarding Carl Wayne, there is absolutely no doubt he was a terrific, powerful singer and a great front man. Soldier's Song was always a highlight when he was there. You are right, his contribution was crucial to the Hollies' continuing success and part of the reason why they are still going strong after 50 years.
PostPosted:Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
tkittygirl Post subject: New 3CD set 50 AT FIFTY
Banjo

Banjo

I've read all these comments with great interest. What would be truly special is a new STUDIO album, with the current line up, and featuring songs written by the current line up. Surely there is enough material just from Steve and Peter. After all, Steve has TWO original albums out in the past two years, and I can hear so many of those songs being performed by the band...they are wonderful, and featuring him with more lead vocals would be outstanding. Peter's songs, while not really fitting in well as Hollies songs, does offer something different, and maybe using one of them would be an interesting change up. Ray and Ian are both very talented musicians and could have a song or two to offer, and certainly Tony and Bobby have proven their writing skills....so how about it boys? A new studio album featuring the songs of ALL current band members....now that is something that would sell, and sell well. Just my thinking.....what does everyone else think?
PostPosted:Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

yes Kitty that is what we all would like to see

we know Bobby & Peter are songwriting together, Bobby also writes with Mark Nelson.

we know that Tony Hicks both writing alone and with his son Paul Hicks could provide them with excellent original material, plus Ray Stiles, Steve Lauri & Ian Parker are all strong composers too so there is considerable songwriting talent within the ranks of the current Hollies band

so it is really up to them and EMI/Warners.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 24, 2014 18:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I agree,that would be great with a new self penned album.I´ll be waiting. Laughing
PostPosted:Sun Aug 24, 2014 20:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
tkittygirl Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I know Gee....so much talent. There must at least 8 songs from Steve's CD's that would be perfect for The Hollies and I'm sure that all the other members would have songs to contribute as well. After all, how many compilations does one band need?

This current lineup is the best, in my opinion, and to hear new and original songs that they all contribute to the band effort would be heavenly. Think of what it would mean to the faithful fans, and think of how many new fans would come to know the band. I do hope it happens. In the meantime I am enjoying each new CD that Steve puts out....they are amazing!
PostPosted:Sun Aug 24, 2014 21:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Can I add my thoughts to the comments on this forum? I agree that Carl did indeed "save" the Hollies after Allan retired and I enjoyed the concerts I saw with him as "front man", but I am so relieved to find that I am not the only fan to believe that the shows were becoming "Carl Wayne and his backing band".
I also think it is a good idea to have the songs on the new CD in chronological order. I would have left out the "live" version of "Carousel" and instead included the live version of "Look through any window". (This would have given the people who put together the BBC's "Greatest guitar riffs" list something to think about-the twin guitars of Tony and Steve are brilliant!)
A new CD completely written by members of the band would be something very special.
As to the quality of the current band-as Dawn says Peter and Steve are like a breath of fresh air and as my husband says after every show "the Hollies just get better!"
PostPosted:Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am

Last edited by Emily on Tue Aug 26, 2014 13:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic