graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Talking of mono
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject: Talking of mono
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Was sing Dylan ever released in mono and if so, was the mono version ever re-released on CD?
PostPosted:Fri Jan 13, 2012 22:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes and No

The now rare mono version - Parlophone PMC 7078 was released in the UK in May 1969 and would have been deleted during 1970 when EMI discontinued making mono versions of most new albums in Britain (only albums with vintage material like 'The Goon Show' etc retained the older mono format from 1970 onwards).

The later CD versions were only ever the stereo PCS 7078 version

Some stereo UK copies stated 'stereo' but had a mono 'side 2' included in error...!

'Hollies Sing Dylan' in mono is now quite rare on either 'yellow and black' 60's Parlophone label, and the 'Silver Box' 70's design Parlophone label
- those later versions are even rarer being only available for part of 1970 in that later 'seventies' label design.

Another rarer Mono version is the August 1968 LP 'Hollies' Greatest' (PMC 7057) but on the 70's 'silver box' Parlophone label as that too was ONLY available in Mono on the seventies label design in 1970.

EMI went over to the seventies 'silver box' Parlophone (with label name and 'pound sign' logo in white in the box ) in 1970 and as I said deleted almost all Mono versions at the end of 1970

- 'Hollies Sing Hollies' (November 1969) was on the 'yellow/black' Parlophone label initially but was the first Hollies album to be only issued in Stereo.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 14, 2012 13:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Would you say that Hollies Greatest and Hollies sing Dylan in mono are expensive these days? (I'm not going to sell mine though Smile Smile )

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 14, 2012 21:14 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't think many realise 'Hollies Sing Dylan' in mono IS quite rare now....!

Neither that or 'Hollies' Greatest' in mono are that expensive, (the mono 'silver box' Parlophone label seventies design versions are the rarest of all only being available for just the one year in 1970)
PostPosted:Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:52 am

Last edited by Gee on Sat Feb 25, 2012 20:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I bought an extra copy of Out on the road some time ago, just in case. I believe I paid around GBP 70 for it.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Jan 15, 2012 16:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:
Yes and No

The now rare mono version - Parlophone PMC 7078 was released in the UK in May 1969 and would have been deleted during 1970 when EMI discontinued making mono versions of most new albums in Britain (only albums with vintage material like 'The Goon Show' etc retained the older mono format from 1970 onwards).

The later CD versions were only ever the stereo PCS 7078 version

Some stereo UK copies stated 'stereo' but had a mono 'side 2' included in error...!

'Hollies Sing Dylan' in mono is now quite rare on either 'yellow and black' 60's Parlophone label, and the 'Silver Box' 70's design Parlophone label
- those later versions are even rarer being only available for part of 1970 in that later 'seventies' label design.

Another rarer Mono version is the August 1968 LP 'Hollies' Greatest' (PMC 7057) but on the 70's 'silver box' Parlophone label as that too was ONLY available in Mono on the seventies label design in 1970.

EMI went over to the seventies 'silver box' Parlophone (with label name and 'pound sign' logo in white in the box ) in 1970 and as I said deleted almost all Mono versions at the end of 1970

- 'Hollies Sing Hollies' (November 1969) was on the 'yellow/black' Parlophone label initially but was the first Hollies album to be only issued in Stereo.

Was that the CD versions ?
PostPosted:Sun Jan 15, 2012 17:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just found Hollies sing Hollies in mono from Argentina on Ebay. I will report on the sound when I get it.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Good find there Knut !

some stereo only albums WERE issued in mono overseas still - I believe a mono 'Abbey Road' by The Beatles was issued overseas (possibly in India ? but maybe elsewhere) but only a stereo version of that late 1969 album (& 'Hollies Sing Hollies') was issued in the UK by EMI

'Hollies Sing Dylan' stereo PCS 7078 but with a mono 'side two' by mistake was only on some vinyl versions - I have one on the 'silver box' Parlophone label...the label says PCS 7078 stereo on both sides but side two is mono with 'XEX' the mono prefix printed in the vinyl at run out groove (where as 'YEX' the stereo prefix is on side one in the run out groove.)

Other 'errors':

some UK copies of the chart topping 1965 Parlophone hit single; 'I'm Alive' had the labels printed on the wrong sides (!) ...so the A side label stating 'I'm Alive' actually played 'You Know He Did' & the 'You Know He Did' 'B' side label was actually 'I'm Alive' ! (I have such a mislabeled copy)

some 'Twenty Golden Greats' (1978) vinyl copies have the original 1965 single of 'Yes I Will' but some have the faster alternate version that was on stereo 'Hollies Greatest' LP in 1968 - while 'Stop Stop Stop' is wrongly in mono on all the vinyl copies I have heard (however the Compact Disc version has it correctly in stereo)
PostPosted:Tue Jul 29, 2014 15:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

In all my years of collecting Hollies records Hollies Sing Hollies in mono is the only LP I have ever been ripped off purchasing. In the days pre internet and maybe more than 35 years ago or at least in the late 70s, I had dealings with an at the time very prominent UK seller who had offered me a UK version of Hollies Sing Hollies in mono.. Then I thought that the last UK mono LP was Sing Dylan so I was excited to be able to get this Sing Hollies in mono. At the time I had been purchasing all the mono and stereo versions of Hollies LPs. Sent the person the money and never heard from him again except to see his ads in Record Collector and other collecting magazines.
Like I said thal LP is the only item I ever go ripped off purchasing.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 31, 2014 14:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

bad luck there - I recall hearing that there were a few 'dodgy' dealers who sent very poor condition records for large sums advertised in 'Record Collector' early on, but I thought these were gradually 'weeded out'...(some Hollies albums have been massively over priced in that mag tho')

EMI (UK) discontinued the mono versions around mid 1969 - 'Hollies Sing Dylan' had a mono version in May 1969 but by the autumn mono was gone ( unless it was a 'mono only' LP such as comedy records like; ''The Goon Show' on Parlophone etc)

- note The Beatles 'Abbey Road' issued in October 1969 was only in stereo and thus 'Hollies Sing Hollies' of November 1969 was likewise, as then was; 'Confessions of The Mind' (November 1970), 'Distant Light' ( October 1971), & 'Hollies' Greatest vol 2' (March 1972)
PostPosted:Thu Jul 31, 2014 18:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

Knut.
Did you ever get that mono LP?
PostPosted:Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, certainly. And it was mint! I was really pleased. The drumming comes really forward.

PostPosted:Wed Aug 13, 2014 19:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Banjo

Banjo

It would have to be a fold down from stereo to mono. Interesting you notice that the drumming is more up front.
Any other noticable differences?
PostPosted:Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I will send a tape to Gee for full evaluation.

PostPosted:Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1