graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » "Snow on Heather Moor" - Bernie
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: "Snow on Heather Moor" - Bernie

I just discovered the existence of another track from 1970, "(No More) Snow on Heather Moor"

Just a quick question, is this available on any Hollies 'Rarities' type CD? I loved Bernie's 'Reflections..' on the Hollies Sing Hollies album

P.S. The wonderful 'Eleanor's Castle' - I have it on my ipod as from the 'Sing Hollies' sessions, does anyone know if it actually came from the 1970 'Confessions...' sessions instead?
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2014 8:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

'(No More) Snow on Heather Moor' was cut during the 9-13 March 1970 sessions at Abbey Road that also produced 'I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top' (featuring Elton John on piano), 'Dandelion Wine', plus the 'Sylvester' versions of both 'Wings' (still currently unissued) and 'Survival of The Fittest'....plus 'Bobby's Prologue' (a spoken passage by Bobby)

'(NM)SOHM' is a Bernie Calvert instrumental a bit more 'upbeat' than 'Reflections of A Time Long Past' again featuring Bernie on piano with orchestrated backing, possibly arranged by Alan Tew.

An 'alternate' version of 'Reflections of A Time Long Past' also exists - presumably cut at the same time as the released 'Hollies Sing Hollies' album version ( of 10 October 1969) this was probably a 'working version' and as with 'Heather Moor' has never been officially released but has 'escaped' on bootlegs...

While 'Heather Moor' has never been 'officially' released on any Hollies compilation or album - as I said 'bootleg' versions of the song have been in circulation for years - hopefully this rare Hollies instrumental (one of only about four in their long career) might one day see inclusion on a future Hollies compilation...(??)

'Eleanor's Castle' - was an Allan Clarke song, recorded during the sessions over 12-14 November 1969 at Abbey Road - along with the initial recording of 'Frightened Lady' plus the later released 'Sign of The Times'

Like 'Sign of The Times' it might have been discarded at the time due to having (then) considered somewhat 'riskay' lyrics - re 'Before she lets her drawbridge down...' (!)

whatever, this excellent 'Confessions of The Mind' album outtake finally saw light of day when it first appeared on 'Rarities' album in Autumn 1988, and was included as a 'bonus' track on the Magic Records CD of 'Hollies Sing Hollies' in 1996.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Hollies

Thanks very much for that Gee; much appreciated. It's a very good instrumental, I shall go looking online as I definitely wish to have a copy to put on the ipod with the 'Confessions' album.

That album incidentally I've been listening to all week, I really think it's one of the Hollies' best

'Eleanor's Castle' is a supreme pop track, how did they let this go unreleased for so long?? It's an excellent track!
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2014 13:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1