graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Sing Dylan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject: Hollies Sing Dylan
Banjo

Banjo

Is there anyone out there in Hollie land that can confirm if the mono version of Hollies Sing Dylan is just a fold down of the Stereo version. This would explain why the mono issue of that LP has never been reissued. Surely this has to be the reason. I have listened to the mono version and can't hear any real differences between the two.

Cheers
PostPosted:Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If that is the case, it explains why the recent release in Japan does not have the mono versions. However, I cannot explain why the 2nd and 3rd Hollies album in this series has both mono and stereo as the stereo versions is just a 2 channel split as far as I know. Am I right?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 09, 2014 18:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

The Japanese reissues from 2004 and the 2013/4 reissues are interesting and different. The first 4 albums in the 2004 issues were issued by EMI and contain only the mono version of the LPs plus the addition of relevant period tracks for each album. The next 3 contain both the mono and stereo versions of the LP plus the period 45s in mono and stereo (if available), The last 2004 one was the Dylan LP presented in stereo only with the addition of the 45s in mono and stereo plus the other relevant period tracks.

All the first 8 LP in the 2013/4 series issued by Warners contain both the mono and stereo versions of the albums and using relevant period tracks for each CD as bonus tracks. The Dylan CD is presented only in stereo with the Lewisham live tracks as the bonus tracks, This CD also have the live version of Blowin' In The Wind from a German promo LP in 1969 with Terry Sylvester. This was recorded with the Paul Kuhn orchestra. These 8 CDs are basically the same as the UK digipak series of mono and stereo albums but these have the bonus tracks.

In the next few days Warners Japan will be issuing Hollies Greatest and Hollies Greatest vol 2. Both are 2 disc sets.

I am guessing these will pick up all the tracks not used in the earlier 2013/4 series but I am sure there is plenty of duplication on these 2 CDs.

As no one has issued the mono Sing Dylan tracks, the mono tracks would most likely have been fold downs of the stereo versions. By this period of time dedicated mono mixes has almost ceased with EMI recordings. None of the individual tracks have appeared in mono on any compilations as well.

Anyone out there able to confirm if the mono tracks are actually fold downs.

To answer you Knut, I think Warners Japan are getting out there all the tracks be it mono or stereo. Japan has alway been great for bonus tracks etc and I am also guessing Warners need to recoup their outlay to purchase the Parlophone label. They are reissuing all kinds of artists.

Cheers
PostPosted:Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think it's very likely the mono version WAS just a fold down from stereo as no really noticeable differences apply mono to stereo unlike say 'Butterfly' etc...

that said the mono mix does sound a bit different probably just due to the mono format, notably on; 'The Times They Are A Changin' where the vocals do seem a bit clearer over the guitars - to me - while in stereo on the original vinyl release the guitars seemed further forward in the mix

'All I Really Wanna Do', 'My Back Pages', and 'I Want You' seem - to me - to have slightly more 'forward in the mix' vocals in mono compared to the stereo versions too...

you do of course get a different 'feel' in stereo on a few tracks where instrumentation is spread out across the channels, while in mono all is very much a 'uniform' sound of vocals and instruments - the stereo 'Wheels on Fire' pans across the channels on the lines; 'This Wheels on fire...' which obviously never happens in mono

I find the acoustic sound of 'Quit Your Low Down Ways' sounds a bit sharper in mono, but again that's only due to a 'more together' uniform sound of mono where you get it all put through two speakers if played on stereo equipment (hence the line; 'it will sound even better when reproduced on stereo equipment...' on the 1967-69 EMI mono releases)

the mono 'Hollies Sing Dylan' album (Parlophone PMC 7078) is quite a rarity now, not for any great variations on tracks or major sound differences but simply as it's never been on catalogue for many years now...nor has it (so far) ever been issued/re-issued either on compact disc or vinyl.

hope this helps...
PostPosted:Thu Apr 10, 2014 20:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Big thanks, Gee, you never stop to amaze me with your knowledge and sharp analyses. I am so glad I managed to get hold of the mono LP some years ago. By the way there is much discussion about the rarity of vinyl releases when CD took over. Does this apply to any Hollies albums?

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 11, 2014 19:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

CD never knocked the value of original vinyl albums in the UK market....

certainly the original sixties UK Parlophone Hollies albums (yellow lettering) have got more and more expensive over the past 15 years - I have seen sixty pounds asked in 'Record Collector' for 'In The Hollies Style' tho' normally it's between 30 and 40 UK pounds - anything between 10 and 40 UK pounds (depending on condition) seems more the norm...

the seventies Polydor albums (excepting the big selling 'Hollies Live Hits') seem to be in the 10-20 UK Pounds range now too...

obviously '20 Golden Greats' which sold massively has no great value BUT 'History of The Hollies' (1975) double LP is getting hard to find now & can fetch a bit more now...

that said you might come across ANY of these albums at a Car Boot sale or in a Charity shop going mega cheap ! Very Happy

I found a excellent original 'In the Hollies Style' - for a tenner in the British Heart Foundation charity shop a few years back...! Cool

and a 'silver box' stereo 'Hollies Sing Dylan' was two pounds in another charity shop last year...! Smile

rare versions are:

seventies 'silver box' Parlophone MONO copies of both 'Hollies Greatest' & 'Hollies Sing Dylan' are quite rare now as each can only have been made in late 1969/70....as the label design change was made by late 1969 & any new releases were stereo only as mono records discontinued in late 1969 ('Hollies Sing Hollies' & 'Confessions...' were both stereo only releases)

- EMI continued to release Mono versions of both 'Greatest' & 'Dylan' for a short period on the new 'silver box' label (both Parlophone & Columbia records) before going over to 'stereo only' versions

Jeff Beck's 1967 and 1969 albums; 'Truth' & 'Beck Ola' & Paul Jones 1969 album; 'Come into My Music Box' each exist on 'silver box' Columbia labels in mono/stereo too....I know as I have copies of each in mono on the seventies 'silver box' Columbia label !

Beatles albums in mono on the 'silver box' Parlophone labels exist too - these are rarer than the 'yellow lettering' versions as they too were only available circa late 1969-70 period...

'Hollies Sing Hollies' (stereo) originally came out on the 'yellow lettering' Parlophone label in late 1969 too...tho' the 'silver box' Parlophone label copies are the more readily found (tho' it's quite a rare album in itself)

original stereo 'yellow letter' label copies of 'Would You Believe?', 'For Certain Because...', 'Evolution' & 'Butterfly' are scarce now

even 'Reflection' & 'Stop Stop Stop' (Regal Starline/Starline) once cheap & commonplace budget releases are hard to find now, each selling for a tenner !

World Records 'the Vintage Hollies' is quite hard to find too - I've seen someone asking 20 UK pounds for that in 'Record Collector' magazine

'Romany'(Polydor) is expensive too - one guy wanted 30 UK pounds for that, while of course 'Out on The Road' (Hansa) is around 50-60 UK pounds & often a HUNDRED Pounds ...or more !! (120 pounds one guy wanted !)
PostPosted:Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1