The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Allan's New CD
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Allan's New CD
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

G'day All Exclamation

I am once again a very happy girl Very Happy because I am now the proud owner of Allan Clarke's Heroes And Survivors CD and am currently listening to Disc 1 and so far it is awesome. Razz

I got it from a store called Redeye (who does imports and where I got the 6 CD set from) in Sydney this morning. A young fellow served me and another guy behind the counter said to me "What prompted you to buy Allan Clarke's CD" Question and I said "Because he was once the lead singer of The Hollies and that they are my favourite band". He then said that they are his favourite band as well. Smile which amazing because I don't meet too many Hollies fans.

All The Best

Susie

Laughing Very Happy Smile Razz
PostPosted:Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:31 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Susie

You should have asked him his name and to join us here in the forums.

PostPosted:Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kathy Exclamation

That's a good point but I was so excited about getting Allan's CD that I never thought to ask the guy his name. Cool

Someone on the Hollies yahoo group told me that there is a Hollies fan named Chris Farrell who works at Redeye so he might have been the one I had that conversation with. Smile

Do you have Allan's CD yet Question If not and you have trouble getting it why don't you go to Gaslight and ask to have it imported Question I think it is awesome and brilliant and worth the $29.95 I paid for it. Very Happy

The card inside the case folds out into a poster with some lovely photos of Allan and it tells you all about his solo efforts and time in The Hollies. Razz

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Razz
PostPosted:Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Susie

I don't have the CD. I'm not sure if I'd be an Allan Clarke solo fan, but he has such a unique voice, I should give it a go.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Allan Clarke solo stuff is great, sometimes he's even better than the Hollies at the time. For example I Wasn't Born Yesterday is much better than A Crazy Steal.
I would buy it!
PostPosted:Sun Aug 15, 2004 16:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, Allan's material is actually somewhat 'rock-ier' than the Hollies stuff that was released at the time. Maybe if he had been able to veer the band into the kind of material Queen were producing (rock, good vocals and arrangements), then things might have been different...

However, one would not like to have seen 'arold in a leather bikers cap and a big bushy moustache Shocked Laughing
PostPosted:Sun Aug 15, 2004 18:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Kathy Exclamation

I didn't know if I would like Allan's solo stuff either but as I have been a fan of his (and The Hollies) for 36 years I just had to have his new CD and I don't regret buying it one bit. It is a truly magnificent album and I hope it is a success and makes the charts.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Cool Wink Confused
PostPosted:Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Allan's new CD
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's pretty good. I got it today. It seems, maybe Allan's material in the late '70s /1980 was a little better than the Hollies material. There are some fine tracks, and a liner notes that put the Allan's two splits with the Hollies in perspective.

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Aug 16, 2004 21:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

I think Russian Roulette was a step in the right direction but then A Crazy Steal was not. If they only had continued the Russian Roulette style.
And why did the Hollies release 5317704 and Buddy Holly with next to none self written material when Allan had so many great rocking tracks written as it is proofed on Legendary Heroes. This album is so much better than the ballad album and that Buddy Holly one.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A Crazy Steal and 5317704 are relatively sophisticated albums straight-down-the-line - the band 'playing it safe'. Russian Roulette was definitely an attempt to be contemporary, as I think Buddy Holly was (albeit with old material, even at that time). The Hollies generally haven't been a pioneering band - I would probably say that For Cetain Because and Hollies Sing Dylan were probably the closest they ever got to this album-wise, and likewise with songs such as King Midas. As a rule, it seems to me that the band tended to try out ideas other bands had introduced (just my opinion). Wink
PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2004 22:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A Crazy Steal and 5317704 are relatively sophisticated albums straight-down-the-line - the band 'playing it safe'. Russian Roulette was definitely an attempt to be contemporary, as I think Buddy Holly was (albeit with old material, even at that time). The Hollies generally haven't been a pioneering band - I would probably say that For Cetain Because and Hollies Sing Dylan were probably the closest they ever got to this album-wise, and likewise with songs such as King Midas. As a rule, it seems to me that the band tended to try out ideas other bands had introduced (just my opinion). Wink
PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2004 22:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
JIM FRASER Post subject: Clarkies New C.D.

Very interesting reading the comments about the new cd and also comments about hollies releases in late 70,s and 80,s. Personelly I feel the variations on each cd shows just how much talent they had and still have. What a pity we cant get some new material, never mind we can look forward to allan's other LP's being released.
PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2004 15:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I suppose Allan was a little less interested in being a Hollie, so, decided to keep the his writing for his own solo efforts, which is fair enough.

Every time I think he is a great singer, I come accross something else of his and realise he is even more talented. The man really deserved a couple of hit singles and a bit of a profile of his own. I notice how rare really good singers are in the biz and Clarke is phenomenal. He really should be more famous.

I hope Castle/Sanctuary release some of his other records, I would love to hear his take on Blinded by the Light.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Aug 19, 2004 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Michael!

I really hope that they re-release his solo albums on CD, too. Are there concrete plans for doing so?

I've got the LP of I've Got Time with Blinded By The Light on it and this song is done as you can imagine really really great. But all in all it's not one of his best solo albums. Of the other 4 I own 3 are better (Headroom, I Wasn't Born Yesterday, Legendary Heroes). The 4th is Reasons To Believe which is good but suffers a bit from the late 80s early 90s production which means too much synthesizers, shitty drumsound and too less guitars. But there are some good songs on it, too.
PostPosted:Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The company behind Et Cetera were supposed to be planning to put out a CD version of ''arold' a couple of summers ago, but nothing surfaced. Dave Hayes of Hayes Mail Order (used to advertise in Carousel fanzine) asked his customers even further back if there would be an interest in buying CD versions of Clarke's back catalogue albums, but once again, nothing was heard... Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Fri Aug 20, 2004 21:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2