graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New Hollies expanded CD series from Japan in December
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: New Hollies expanded CD series from Japan in December
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Warner Music of Japan(Warner Music is the new owner of the Parlophone label) has set December for new expanded SHM-CD's of The Hollies' first 7 albums. These discs will contain the stereo album, the mono album and bonus tracks. SHM-CD is an audiophile product; a regular CD, but manufactured from a premium quality plastic resin, originally developed for the manufacture of flat screen T.V.'s, and the superior optical transparency of this "Super High Material" is claimed to produce superior data retrieval during playback.

Track listing for "Stay With The Hollies", "In The Hollies Style", "Hollies", "Would You Believe", "For Certain Because", "Evolution" & "Butterfly" can be seen at www.cdjapan.co.jp

It would appear that there are no unreleased songs amongst the bonus tracks, but there are some mixes that are new to CD. "We're Alive", "Kill Us Quick", "Non Prego Per Me" & "Devi Averre Fiducia in Me" each appear twice, and "Try It" appears THREE TIMES.

Perhaps The Hollies website can provide more detailed information.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 03, 2013 17:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

By the way, I've noticed that the disc of "Stay With The Hollies" includes both versions of "Poison Ivy". The rare version(which previously appeared only on Australian vinyl) will get its first official CD release in this new Japanese CD series.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 14, 2013 0:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Some have suggested that the rare version of "Poison Ivy" won't be included, but rather, it will be the brief breakdown takes heard on the CD "The Hollies at Abbey Road".
PostPosted:Thu Oct 17, 2013 21:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

If The Hollies management ever looks at the forum, I would like to say this to them: If Warner Music plans upgraded Hollies CD's(perhaps even better than the upcoming Japan releases) for the UK,Europe or U.S.A. , then let us know, so that we won't needlessly overpay for the Japanese discs.

To get something better than the Japan discs, that would be something worth waiting for. As it is, we don't know if the Japanese discs are new masterings or if they (mostly) re-use Peter Mew's 1999 masterings.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 21, 2013 19:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The Warner Music Japanese SHM-CD Hollies CD series will continue in January 2014 with the albums from "Hollies Sing Dylan" through "Romany". There will be bonus tracks, but they haven't been revealed yet.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The song titles for the January 2014 Hollies titles have been listed....unfortunately only in Japanese. Also, there will be similar expanded SHM-CD titles coming from "Swinging Blue Jeans" & Manfred Mann.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 16, 2013 15:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The 11th of December 2013 Hollies Japan CD titles have been postponed one week until 18th of December.

I would advise caution before ordering any of the January 2014 Warner Music Japan CD titles by The Hollies and other 1960's British groups, until:

A. We see if the December 2013 titles are actually released

B. The main Japanese CD supplier(CD Japan) announces the song titles for the January 2014 titles in English, so we can see what the bonus tracks are.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The Japanese CD dealers are allocated a limited quantity of CD's for each forthcoming CD release. The quantities of the January 2014 discs are already dwindling, and none of the Japanese dealers are willing to reveal the names of the bonus tracks in English. I think that I'll have to pass. For the 7 Hollies titles where the song titles have been revealed in English, I preordered "Stay With the Hollies" & "Evolution", and I'll soon order "For Certain Because" & "Butterfly".

As for the January 2014 discs, it just doesn't seem believable that there could be so many bonus tracks that could be added to "Hollies Sing Dylan" or "Distant Light".
PostPosted:Thu Nov 28, 2013 0:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It seems odd that "The Hollies Ltd."(and hence the people who operate this website) could be totally unaware of these forthcoming Japanese CD's and what their bonus tracks are. After all, from the group's fifth album("For Certain Because") onwards, "The Hollies Ltd." owns the recordings.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 03, 2013 0:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Warner Music's Japan affiliate have been very quick in "exploiting" the recordings that they've obtained via their purchase of "Parlophone Label Group".

There will now be at least three "waves" of releases, including not only 1960's British artists("The Hollies", "The Animals","The Yardbirds", "The Swinging Blue Jeans","Manfred Mann", "Herman's Hermits" & "Peter & Gordon"), but also some 1970's artists("Gentle Giant" & Kevin Ayers), and a 2-disc 1960's British beat group compilation("All About British Beat")

All the Japanese dealers that will sell to people outside Japan are continuing to list the song titles(for the January & February 2014 titles) only in Japanese. They may be doing this under orders from Warner Music(to discourage non-Japanese people from preordering the discs).Yes, there are loads of bonus tracks on each disc. Whether there is much that we don't already have….is unknown. But if we wait too long to preorder, the initial production "run"(presumably 5000 to 7500 per disc) will be gone. In keeping with Japanese music industry tradition, maybe they will later manufacture more(perhaps without the replica "mini-album cover")….or maybe they won't.

2014 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the so-called "British Invasion"; the worldwide boom of interest in British Beat group music. Warner Music should recognize that there are many people outside Japan who would want these discs, and address this by either:

Manufacturing larger quantities of the Japanese discs

or

Releasing UK editions with the same songs.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I have some information about the January 2014 discs. "Romany" will feature the same song contents as the 2007 Uk expanded remaster…plus the alternate version of "Oh Granny". Both versions of "Oh Granny" will be included.

For "Hollies Sing Dylan", the bonus tracks are the 1968 live concert tracks that appeared on "The Clarke Hicks & Nash Years", and the early mix of "Blowin' In The Wind" with Graham Nash.

Still no English language information for the song contents of "Hollies Sing Hollies", "Distant Light" & "Confessions of The Mind".
PostPosted:Thu Dec 19, 2013 0:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

All of the remaining information is now available at www.cdjapan.co.jp and there are audio samples for the 7 Hollies discs that have already been released. If the audio samples are correct, then these discs mostly re-use Peter Mew's 1990's masterings from the UK Digipak releases. The stereo mix of "Dear Eloise" still has the mastering fault that Mr.Mew introduced(some of the instruments briefly drop out when the group sings "Writing a Letter to make you feel better").

On the positive side, "Stay With the Hollies" includes both versions of "Poison Ivy"(the rare version originally released on Australian vinyl IS included)

Both the stereo & mono mixes of "Non Prego Per Me" & "Devi Avere Fiducia in Me" are included as bonus tracks on "For Certain Because"

The original single mixes of "We're Alive" & "Kill Me Quick" are included as bonus tracks on "Evolution"(the 1993 stereo versions are included too). The stereo mixes included background & harmony vocals that were omitted from the original mono single mixes.

It doesn't appear that Warner Music is going to do any actual remastering(except where they have no choice, for versions or mixes new to CD) for the 30 early British rock albums they'll be reissuing in this Japanese CD series. As for the versions/mixes that are new to CD, the audio samples available at CD Japan's website reveal dubious, less than master tape sound quality.

You have to wonder whether, in purchasing most of EMI's British recordings, if Warner Music actually gets to take possession of the master tapes.

What is needed is a Hollies-supervised expanded UK CD series, if The Hollies' management cares enough to reach out and contact the UK branch of Warner Music.

Some of these Japanese CD's contain some tracks that make them essential for Hollies completists, but the quality is not all that it could have been, particularly on a CD series being marketed as audiophile product.
PostPosted:Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Four of The Hollies Japanese CD's arrived today.

"Stay With The Hollies" has the stereo & mono versions of the album, plus "Zip A Dee Doo Dah"(in mono, not stereo as the liner notes booklet claims), "I Understand"(stereo), "Poison Ivy"(take 9 in stereo) & "Poison Ivy"(Take 12 in mono, not stereo as the liner notes booklet claims). The booklet claims to include the "Poison ivy" takes 10-12 sequence, but takes 10 & 11(both breakdown takes) are not on the disc.

"Evolution" has the stereo & mono versions of the UK album,plus both the 1992 stereo versions & 1960's mono versions of "Kiss Us Quick" & "We're Alive". Those mono versions are appearing on Cd for the first time, and they are musically different to the stereo mixes. The mono "Kill Us Quick" totally omits Graham & Tony's vocal harmonies, and pushes the harmonica far into the background.

"For Certain Because has the stereo & mono versions of the album, plus both the stereo & mono versions of "Non Prego Per Me" & "Devi Averre Fiducia in Me". For the mono mix of "Devi Averre Fiducia in Me", this is the first full quality CD release(the previous release, from the French "Magic" label was likely a dub from vinyl)

"Butterfly" has the stereo & mono versions of the album, plus the U.S. single mix of "Try It"(which has loads of reverb)", and a mono mix of "Like Every Time Before" that is NOT the single mix. This mix is musically like the 1993 Ron Furmanek stereo remix, in that it doesn't have the lead guitar. As I've already stated, the analog to digital transfers of all of these albums are the Peter Mew efforts from the 1990's, and so the stereo "Dear Eloise" has Mr.Mew's mastering glitch, which causes the bass, drums and all the low frequency content to drop out for a few seconds, the first time that the group sings "Writing a Letter to Make You Feel Better".

Overall the sound quality of these discs are O.K., though the two bonus tracks on "Butterfly" are of somewhat lower sound quality.

The mini-album covers are very accurate reproductions of the original UK album covers(though, of course omitting any mention of EMI or EMITEX)
PostPosted:Sat Dec 28, 2013 22:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It would seem apparent, that with the exception of certain new to CD bonus tracks, that all of the other songs in this 29 album + one compilation Japanese British rock series are Peter Mew's 1998-2011 analog to digital transfers, if not actual clones of his masterings. The sound isn't terrible, but they are not audiophile-quality masterings. They're not especially loud, but are heavily E.Q.'d. Seek out discs (from this series) mainly for the new to CD mixes and takes amongst the bonus tracks.

The series is not strictly a Hollies CD series(though 12 Hollies albums are included). The series also includes albums by Herman's Hermits, The Animals, The Swinging Blue Jeans, Peter & Gordon,The Yardbirds and Manfred Mann. And there is a 2-CD, 56-song various artists compilation "All About The British Beat", featuring songs by various EMI artists, some of them obscure, such as "Haydock's Rockhouse", "Hans Christian"(AKA Jon Anderson). The Gods, The Action & Mike Vickers.

To the person who reposted one of my posts onto the Steve Hoffman forums, I'm O.K. with that. After nearly 4 years, it is apparent that Hoffman's gang will never un-ban me. You'll note that I have now corrected a minor mistake in my previous post.

I'll briefly go off-topic here, and explain that the 2-CD edition of "The Yardbirds-Little Games" included in the SHM-CD series would seem to include everything from all previous CD editions…but not quite. It does NOT include the 1991 Ron Furmanek/Kevin Reeves stereo remix. Instead, the stereo version of the album is represented (mostly) by the original 1967 stereo mix(excepting "Smile on Me", & "Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor", which are 2003 mixes by an uncredited UK engineer).

When more titles from the series arrive, I'll bring you up to date. I ordered The Hollies CD's "Confessions of The Mind" & "Hollies Sing Hollies", the "All About The British Beat" compilation and two Manfred Mann titles. I'm fully expecting that when Manfred Mann's EMI "Commercial test"(Audition) appears as bonus tracks in this series, that the song "Let's Go" will have the mid-verse skip(in the second verse, if I recall correctly) which causes 15 seconds of this previously unreleased song to be omitted. EMI never corrected that Peter Mew mastering glitch, which originated on a UK 4-CD boxed set "Down The Road Apiece".
PostPosted:Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

It seems that Warner Music Japan is going to rush these discs onto the market so rapidly, that few people will be able to afford to buy them all, especially, since these discs will be limited editions, available only briefly, with no guarantee that more discs will be pressed.

Further discs(unfortunately no Hollies) have been announced for March release; mostly 1970's artists.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 08, 2014 19:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next