graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Brand NEW to the wonderful HOLLIES!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Brand NEW to the wonderful HOLLIES!

As the title says, I am a brand new convert to all things Hollies!

When listening to the albums, as I have been over the last 2 months, I wonder how I missed out on these guys and never heard these magical songs!

I love other 60s acts, especially the Rolling Stones, the Who, Hendrix, the Beatles, Small Faces - but had never heard the Hollies except for 3 or 4 songs (the BIG hits). Only after viewing and marvelling at the excellent 'British Invasion' special on them shown on SkyArts1 did I see how great they were - I finally decided to go for an album, and 2 months ago got the first two albums and voila - was knocked out!

It's amazing how good the music is; not only the gorgeous harmonies, but the very catchy melodies and catchy instrumental work. And the songs, the quality - the covers I find mostly great, just to hear the band play, and the originals I found easily the best on those first few albums. Songs like 'So Lonely' are in my mind better than a lot of their peers at the time; lyrically and musically. (Hollies '65 is a particular favourite album, they just sound brilliant on it)

Am going in sequence when discovering the albums, and am up to my sixth Hollies album, 'Evolution', first hearings last night to both Mono and Stereo versions. 'Could you Believe' and especially 'For Certain Because' I thought were stellar, some truly inspiring melodies and songs; how is this band not mentioned in same breath as the Beatles??

One thing I find a little less than stellar is the Stereo versions - 'Hollies '65' sounded great, but the others can sound a big odd; when you have ALL the instruments in one channel and the vocals in another, I find it difficult to listen to sometimes.The Mono mixes I've preferred for one or two albums, 'Could you Believe' for example - I felt the Mono mix sounded better and fuller than the 'wide stereo'. I wish they would remix the albums for true stereo, if that was at all possible

I wonder, are the late 60s and 70s albums true stereo?

Anyway, wonderful to be here, and 'Evolution' shall continue tonight with my 2nd listening....!

Long live the Hollies!
PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

welcome aboard !

the first album; 'Stay With The Hollies' had quite a strong stereo mix, in fact the next three - 'In The Hollies Style' (1964) , 'Hollies' (1965) - both originally only released in mono back in the sixties - and Would You Believe?' (1966) plus later even 'Evolution' (1967) all have the odd stereo sound of; 'vocals (& the odd instrument) one channel / Instrumentation on the other channel - the VERY cheap stereo that EMI used a fair bit on alot of early sixties stereo mixes - a few Beatles songs & Cliff / Shadows plus Swinging Blue Jeans, Fourmost, etc stereo versions of albums often had this very false sounding 'split signal' stereo

Yet 'For Certain Because...' (1966) besides the odd track like 'It's You' and 'Butterfly' (1967) each have excellent stereo versions (note 'Butterfly' differs notably between mono & stereo versions - you need to get either both LPs or the CD featuring both versions).

From 'Butterfly' onwards the EMI stereo versions - which are stereo only from 'Hollies Sing Hollies' late 1969 - & the seventies EMI then Polydor albums are all in good true stereo sound

'Hollies Sing Dylan' (1969) is actually quite rare now in it's mono version (Parlophone PMC 7078) being the final sixties Hollies album to be released in both mono and stereo format by EMI, likewise 'Hollies Greatest' in mono.

Clarke-Hicks-Nash feature on all albums up to 'Butterfly' & 'Hollies Greatest' (1968 compilation)

Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester feature on the later studio albums from 1969 ('Dylan') to 1980 ('Buddy Holly') with the exception of 'Romany' (1972) & the rare 'Out On The Road' (1973) which feature Mike Rickfors as Lead vocalist with the harmonies by Rickfors-Hicks-Sylvester

'Hollies Greatest Vol 2' (1972) compilation has 12 songs, five tracks feature Graham Nash & seven songs feature Terry Sylvester with Allan Clarke Lead singer throughout

'History of The Hollies' (1975 double album) has three sides with Nash & the fourth with Sylvester

the 1976 'Hollies Live Hits' on Polydor live album features Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester

Graham Nash returned for the 1983 reunion studio album on WEA Records titled; 'What Goes Around...' & a much later released 1984 Live album titled first; 'Archive Alive' then later; 'Reunion' with a few extra songs (the Kings Head Park, Ohio USA live concert)

various EMI compilation LPs & CDs featuring both Clarke-Hicks-Nash and
Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester can be found, most notably '20 Golden Greats' (1978)

all the sixties albums & some seventies have since been re-issued on vinyl and CD - 'In The Hollies Style' later became 'The Vintage Hollies' re-issued on World Records (ST 979) in 1967, while 'Would You Believe...?' (stereo version) became; 'I Can't Let Go' on MFP budget label & 'For Certain Because...' (stereo version) became; 'Stop Stop Stop' on Starline budget label while 'Reflection' on Regal Starline (1969) was a belated release of the stereo version of 'Hollies' (1965) - the earlier sixties albums were also later re-issued on BGO Records on CD & LP, in the 80's.

Allan Clarke retired at the end of 1999, the Late Carl Wayne was lead singer from 2000 to his shock death in mid 2004

From 2004 Peter Howarth (lead vocals, acoustic guitar) & Steve Lauri (High Harmony vocals, guitar) joined Tony, Bobby, Ray Stiles & Ian Parker in the current Hollies line up now featuring Howarth-Hicks-Lauri vocal harmonies

The studio albums; 'Staying Power' (2006) & 'Then, Now, Always' (2009, re-issued 2010 with extra song) plus live double album; 'Hollies Live Hits !: We Got The Tunes !' (2012) followed featuring Peter Howarth as Lead singer (plus Tony & Steve featuring on some tracks)

ALL the original sixties Parlophone label albums are getting hard to find (& more expensive) now, even the later sixties EMI/Parlophone, budget Regal Starline, Starline & even MFP and seventies Polydor albums are getting rarer now too - if you see ANY Hollies albums it's worth grabbing them !

hope this helps - good record / CD hunting !
PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

Last edited by Gee on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:26 am; edited 5 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Hollies!

Thanks very much for that Gee; a wealth of information!

It's exciting discovering a new band; and the way I've decided to go is chronological; and must say I'm loving the albums this far!

The stereo Vs mono thing is a little annoying; the stereo versions on some sound so good - but - after a few songs it get's a little jarring hearing all instruments in one and vocals in the other. I've found I prefer the Mono mixes on all but 'Hollies '65' (which I found was the best stereo sound so far) and 'For Certain Because'

I've seen some of the posts about different labels; and the French label (BGO?) - I heard their stereo version of 'Could you Believe' but it seemed too loud; and I prefered eventually the Mono 1997 version.

It's the EMI 1997/1998/1999? releases I've been hearing; and in case of 'Evolution' last night, some songs sounded better Mono, some better Stereo. I may just make an i-pod compilation of both^

So far there are so many great songs on the 6 albums I've heard AND the relevant extra tracks/singles/outtakes from the 'Clarke Nash Hicks' BoxSet for each album.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 14:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

BGO Records (BGO standing for 'Beat Goes On') was a British record company Ex- EMI guy Colin Miles ran if I remember correctly

The French label involved with The Hollies is 'Magic Records' who have put out CDs of albums with quite alot of 'bonus' tracks plus a French 'EP Collection' series vols 1 to 3 which had (then) a few rare tracks & rarer stereo versions of UK 'B' sides etc

worthwhile UK compilations include: 'The Other Side of The Hollies' (UK 'B' sides from 1963 to 1971 mostly in mono) originally issued in August 1978 on Parlophone vinyl but also on CD with a few extra songs added

'The Best of The Hollies EPs' ( all but one track was in mono) also issued in August 1978 was another good Parlophone vinyl compilation that became; 'The EP Collection' on CD later.

the original vinyl Parlophone albums of each are hard to find now too...

MFP compiled 'Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress' released September 1979 featuring 12 songs, six from the 'Nash era' and six from the ' Sylvester era' (one of each featured only Allan Clarke singing - 'High Classed' & 'Long Cool Woman' respectively)

Polydor also issued an almost 'forgotten' budget priced Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester featured compilation album in 1980 titled; 'The Air That I Breathe' which featured ten songs but incredibly managed to leave OFF 'The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam Magee '- one of the very few UK chart hit singles from the Polydor era (who compiled that...?) Rolling Eyes

Unlikely I know but IF that 'forgotten compilation' ever gets a belated CD issue...the UK chart entries; 'Curly Billy' & 'Soldier's Song' certainly ought to be added possibly with; 'Sanctuary' , 'Tip of The Iceberg', '48 Hour Parole', 'Crocodile Woman (She Bites)' and UK singles; 'Son of A Rotten Gambler', & 'Boulder To Birmingham' (making a total of 18 tracks) all added as 'bonus tracks'....yes ?

I think you were referring to 'Would You Believe ?' not 'Could' (unless another release now has that title...their 1966 fourth album on Parlophone was 'Would You Believe' PMC/PCS 7008 - issued one EMI/Parlophone release before The Beatles 'Revolver' which was PMC/PCS 7009)

While The Hollies 'Evolution' (PMC/PCS 7022) was issued the same day as The Beatles 'Sgt Pepper' (PMC/PCS 7027) in summer 1967.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 15:45 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You always amaze me Gee. You have packed in so many details.

In fact Evolution is the album of the week on Norwegian national digital radio - it did no 3 here in Norway - following The Hollies' mini tour of Norway in December 1966.

Anyone who wants to stream it, try this link tomorrow evening or later:

http://radio.nrk.no/serie/ren-60/dmpo21000413/24-10-2013

It should be possible to stream it later. I cannot guarantee it is available outside Norway, though.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 23, 2013 20:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

"all the sixties albums & some seventies have since been re-issued on vinyl and CD - 'Stay With...' became 'The Vintage Hollies' later on World Records "

Wasn't it In The Hollies Style that became the Vintage Hollies or was that title used for both LP at different stages? I have the In The Hollies Style version.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes it was 'In The Hollies Style' that became 'The Vintage Hollies' (World Records ST 979) issued in 1967.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1