graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Finally, almost
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Finally, almost
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

After over two weeks Amazon has finally shipped Distant Light, so, I nearly have it. Next week better be all it's cracked up to be !

Micheal
PostPosted:Sat Aug 07, 2004 14:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Michael.

Good Luck with receiving your album. Your fourm title would make a good title for the next Hollies album.

PostPosted:Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:15 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Michael!

You really can look forward to your future favourite album!
I needed two listens to fully apreceate it but till now I've listened to it a thousand times, more than most of my records (excect for some Beatles records).
Please let me know what you think about it!
PostPosted:Mon Aug 09, 2004 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yep, I'd say it is the best album with Clarkey at the helm... Cool (And before his open-shirted, super-permed mid-70's stage persona was unleashed on the public ... Shocked Laughing Wink )
PostPosted:Mon Aug 09, 2004 21:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Distant Light
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes it is very good! Though it did take me a few listens. I was already a fan of Promised Land, Long Cool Woman, and Long Dark Road from a compliation CD and the boxset. This spoils a new album a little bit because you are inclined to be over familiar with some of the tracks already.

My favourite "new" tracks are What A Life I've Led, Pull Down the Blind and A Little Thing Like Love. Pull Down the Blind has an interesting '60s yet funky sound to it, sort of '60s and '90s at once if that makes sense.

Honourable mentions should go to Look What We've Got and To Do With Love. I like the epic quality of Look What We've Got, even if it isn't a great song. To Do With Love is a nice number.

Cable Car is an interesting, atmospheric piece, somewhere I saw it called "languid" or "luxuriant" or something like that. I think words like that describe it best. I like it.

The jury is still out on Hold on and You Know The Score.

It is interesting how the Hollies were going quiet country in both lyrics and music at this time. I wonder if they were watching a lot of spaghetti westerns or something? (It was the early '70s) Still a cool record, pity they couldn't have a little more success with the singles beyond Long Cool Woman...

Re: Allan Clarke's Persona

He seems to be a totally different person in '76 than in, say, '66. Compare the guy singing Jennifer Eccles to the guy singing Sandy.

So, what album do I buy next? Am I allowed to buy Hollies Sing Hollies now? or do I have to buy Romany (like the Rickfors era songs Ive heard)?
Whatever my instructions, I refuse to buy anything before Evolution and after, say, Write On at the moment.

Big post, huh?

Micheal
PostPosted:Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Michael

Glad you like the album. The country influence is down - probably - to Allan Clarke's love of westerns. I really like Hold On - I think it's actually one of the best tracks on the album. Clarkey plays lead guitar on this one, and I think this is one with Herbie Flowers (later of Sky) on bass - Bernie was ill on some of the sessions and Herbie and Tony did the basswork on some tracks. The organ solo and phasing at the end, plus some nice percussion from Bobby really add to the dramatic quality of the track. You Know The Score is a bit doom and gloom, but one helluva track guitar-wise.

Wink
PostPosted:Wed Aug 11, 2004 14:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

If you expect anything in the Distant Light style (that of course only goes for the instruments) I would buy Romany, my second favourite album of the Hollies.
And you don't want to buy anything after Write On? That would be a big mistake because the following Russian Roulette is one of their very best albums in my opinion. Write On would be a good buy, too. But all their '70s albums are great....

....You could try to get Out On The Road but that could be difficult.
PostPosted:Sun Aug 15, 2004 16:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Distantlight Exclamation

Russian Roulette is one of my favourite albums as well. I also enjoy Write On and Another Night too. I have most of The Hollies 70's albums and one of these days I hope to add Distant Light and Romany to my collection.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Smile Razz Laughing
PostPosted:Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It's not that I won't buy anything after Write On, it's just that I would rather buy the earlier stuff first. Judging by the boxset there is a drop off in quality at this stage though I really like Amnesty and Harlequin.

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Aug 16, 2004 22:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'd have to say that A Crazy Steal and 5317704 contain some really sophisticated tracks - I wouldn't dismiss them to lightly, Michael - give them a try and you may warm to them. I quite like Buddy Holly and some of the What Goes Around-era material, but give me the classic 1969 - 1975 period anyday.
PostPosted:Mon Aug 16, 2004 22:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really don't like the Buddy Holly album. Not because I don't like the music of Buddy Holly (I've got some CD's of him and they are great) but because it rocks too less and some tracks are really bad (Peggy Sue? Who needs a disco version of Peggy Sue, I for sure don't).
And my favourite track on A Crazy Steal is Burn Out, they should have made some more rocking tracks like this. 5317704 is good but not nearly as good as Legendary Heroes. Why did they stop writing their own material, with some exceptions, after A Crazy Steal?
PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Susie!

You really should buy these two because without them you really miss an important chapter in the Hollies history, for me the most important.

By the way, did you find Handmade by Chris Norman?
PostPosted:Tue Aug 17, 2004 13:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Distantlight Exclamation

I am going to Redeye in Sydney next week sometime and see if they have Distant Light and Romany there. As I said somewhere else Redeye do imports and they have the greatest collection of Hollies CD's I have every seen. Last week they had just about every album the band every recorded but I didn't see Distant Light or Romany.

No I don't have Chris Norman's Handmade CD yet. I can't get it here in Penrith so next time I'm at Redeye I will look for it there.

All The Best

Susie

Cool Rolling Eyes Smile Surprised
PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm sure you will love these 3 CD's. Please let me know if you get them and what you think about them!
PostPosted:Wed Aug 18, 2004 15:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1