graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » The Fortunes !
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject: The Fortunes !
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Fortunes IMO were such an underrated band. Renowned for their perfect pop songs and exquisite harmonies the group from Birmingham UK should have definately had more world wide appeal. I have seen this band on quite a few occasions in their later incantations but feel blessed to have seen them with Rod Allen a few years ago before his very sad passing in 2008. It was after discussing their discography earlier tonight that prompted me to post - R. I. P. Rod.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Fortunes gave us a touch of class ! Cool

Rod Allen's band provided 'Caroline' - used as the famous pirate Radio Station's theme tune !

'You've Got Your Troubles I've Got mine' and 'Here it Comes Again' were superb Pop classics in 1965....Les Read Orchestra augmenting the band, whose harmonies & musicianship was always first rate

'This Golden Ring' was another notable Decca hit....and they cut a terrific version of 'Seasons in The Sun' long before Terry Jacks hit !

They even did a notable 'Gasoline Alley Bred' later !

Albums 'The Fortunes' (Decca 1965- mono & Stereo) and 'Fortunes' (Capitol 1971 - Stereo ) are not easy to find now....but you can find a decent sampler: 'Remembering...The Fortunes' album on Decca too

Several excellent CD's are out, notably 'The Very Best of...' (Spectrum)....with tracks from the Decca Years

...and 'The singles' (BR Music -BX 517-2)....which has 24 singles tracks on it both the Decca and Capitol Recordings

later Capitol hits circa 1970-72 included 'Storm in A Teacup', 'Freedom Come Freedom Go' ...plus 'Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again' and 'Baby By The Way'

there are a number of decent CD's of Re-recorded hits and tracks too issued on various labels including CBS Europe.

Barry Pritchard & Rod Allen are sadly Deceased now...but Ex-Badfinger keyboardist Bob Jackson is still with a touring version of this classic UK Band ! Cool
PostPosted:Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On Remember 60s Volume 4 DVD (BR Music), the Fortunes also perform their version of Fire Brigade, made famous of course by The Move.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 17, 2011 23:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

One of my all times favorite tracks from the early 70's has to be their terrific song, "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1LbkuPfqo

And the fantastic earlier hit, "You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPT-JvceKI&feature=related
PostPosted:Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:

Barry Pritchard & Rod Allen are sadly Deceased now...but Ex-Badfinger keyboardist Bob Jackson is still with a touring version of this classic UK Band ! Cool

Spoke to Badfinger Bob ( Jackson ) at The Fortunes Gig a while back. A right character ! Very Happy

Great songs SpartyScott - Truely memorable ! Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Jan 18, 2011 14:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Mieke Post subject: anniversary
Banjo

Banjo

This year the Fortunes are celebrating their 50th anniversary too. The band is still touring and actually have a special two hour show for this occasion. I was lucky that I was able to attend many of their performances in Holland and Belgium over the last 25 years. So I had the opportunity to see them with both Rod and Barry as the original members. It was a great loss for us that they both passed away but we will never forget them. It was Rod's wish that the band continued with Eddy Mooney as lead singer. Of course it sounds a bit different now, because Rod had such a unique voice, but it's still of great quality. I'm already looking forward to their concert in June here in Belgium close to the town where I live.
If you want all the information about the band they have their own website and are also on Facebook and Twitter.
http://www.thefortunes.co.uk/index.html

PostPosted:Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic