graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Badfinger !
graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject: Badfinger !
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 388
Location: Manchester UK

I'm not going to beat around the bush but it seems to me that this amazing band have been a TAD ignored. When you had the exquisite songwriting technique of Pete Ham, Tom Evans and Joey Molland, all incredible, underrated musicians in their own right -It beats me why this band have not been suffiently awarded - You get my musical drift !!!
PostPosted:Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 484

Hi Carrie


Pete Ham formed them as 'The Iveys' (a name in direct tribute to Pete's fav harmony band - The Hollies !)

Pete had them sing 'Just One look' over & over until they got their vocal harmonies as tight ('Day After Day' proves they did !)

Signed to Apple records on Mal Evans urging was for Pete a dream come true...label stablemates of The Beatles !!

however that proved to be something of a 'Double Edged sword'....despite playing alongside members of the Fab Four...Badfinger were virtually stuck in the famous group's shadow...with the British music press forever comparing them...or dismissing them as 'mere copyists' etc....

it got worse over time...they were reluctantly re-located to Warners...

The problem was largely that both after Apple later collapsed their first four albums were off catalogue & tied up in legal hassles for many years....

sadly so too were their Warners albums after a big advance had gone missing in 1975....Warners Lawyers advised them to withdraw the album 'Wish You Were here' just as it was released & picking up orders & airplay...

'Head First' was left unissued (just 'Rough mixes') as Pete Ham tragically took his own life in April 1975

- Joey Molland had quit beforehand in sheer frustration...Bob Jackson had come in on keyboards/vocals

Tom Evans & Joey Molland later attempted to Resurrect the band in the early 80's with 'Airwaves' album on Elektra....but despite being a superb song Tom's 'Lost inside Your Love' was not a big hit - Some fans seemed to not want Badfinger minus Pete Ham...others probably still too upset

whatever after a Rock flavoured follow up 'Say No More' the reunion faltered....sadly in November 1983 Tom Evans followed Pete out...

Now in The Fortunes Keyboardist Bob Jackson (who was on 'Head First') had to head back to Surrey & 're-trace' his steps to another Funeral in 1983 ...as he had to Pete's in 1975... Crying or Very sad

the Band seemed 'airbrushed' out of Rock History...No albums on catalogue...just battered old Apple & warners Seventies albums fetching high prices....

Nilsson's 'Without You' (Later covered by Mariah Carey) and occasional plays of 'Come and Get it' & 'No Matter What'....plus the odd cover - like Allan Clarke doing Pete's 'Baby Blue' in 1980 on 'The Only One' were it seemed the only surviving aspects..... Crying or Very sad

Finally the legal situation re Apple was resolved...a 'Best of Badfinger' CD came out....then over time ALL the Badfinger Apple albums, plus The Iveys 1968 album and the Warners sets...even 'Head First' were issued on CD

two CD "albums" of Pete Ham's Demos - '7 Park Avenue' and 'Golders Green' were issued....and Dan Mantovina's sad but fascinating book 'Without You' was printed (a MUST READ for all young aspiring musicians - of at least what pitfalls to beware of !)

...a 'Very Best of Badfinger' CD is out - plus recently the first four Apple albums have been re-mastered with extra bonus tracks !


Despite the Tragic early Deaths of Pete & Tom (Drummer Mike Gibbins has sadly now left us too)....hanging long over their mostly unavailable back catalogue...like a shroud....the superb Music itself is a sunny, uplifting & very POSITIVE thing...

Today Bob Jackson still pays tribute to them in Fortunes concerts....

while the other surviving member Joey Molland does too (sometimes playing alongside his old school friend Terry Sylvester !)

Badfinger may now be long gone....but their talent goes on in their finally exhumed & 'polished up' back catalogue...they have taken their place at last alongside contemporaries The Beatles & The Hollies etc...as a truly Classic British Band,

they are often cited as the founders of 'Power Pop'

their wonderful music was priceless....and that SURVIVES Cool
PostPosted:Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin S Post subject:



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 12
Location: Pendle, England

I first came upon the Iveys in the early seventies when a family friend brought over a few albums from Germany. Being a young Beatle fan I picked the Ivey's album - Maybe Tomorrow, I really liked the album and have hung on to it even when prices were reaching 300.

Over the years I picked up the Badfinger singles and albums one by one and found them to be superb. I cannot find any modern bands that can match them. Pete Ham was certainly a unique talent.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 17, 2011 19:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 388
Location: Manchester UK

Gee wrote:
Hi Carrie


Pete Ham formed them as 'The Iveys' (a name in direct tribute to Pete's fav harmony band - The Hollies !)

Pete had them sing 'Just One look' over & over until they got their vocal harmonies as tight ('Day After Day' proves they did !)

Signed to Apple records on Mal Evans urging was for Pete a dream come true...label stablemates of The Beatles !!

however that proved to be something of a 'Double Edged sword'....despite playing alongside members of the Fab Four...Badfinger were virtually stuck in the famous group's shadow...with the British music press forever comparing them...or dismissing them as 'mere copyists' etc....

it got worse over time...they were reluctantly re-located to Warners...

The problem was largely that both after Apple later collapsed their first four albums were off catalogue & tied up in legal hassles for many years....

sadly so too were their Warners albums after a big advance had gone missing in 1975....Warners Lawyers advised them to withdraw the album 'Wish You Were here' just as it was released & picking up orders & airplay...

'Head First' was left unissued (just 'Rough mixes') as Pete Ham tragically took his own life in April 1975

- Joey Molland had quit beforehand in sheer frustration...Bob Jackson had come in on keyboards/vocals

Tom Evans & Joey Molland later attempted to Resurrect the band in the early 80's with 'Airwaves' album on Elektra....but despite being a superb song Tom's 'Lost inside Your Love' was not a big hit - Some fans seemed to not want Badfinger minus Pete Ham...others probably still too upset

whatever after a Rock flavoured follow up 'Say No More' the reunion faltered....sadly in November 1983 Tom Evans followed Pete out...

Now in The Fortunes Keyboardist Bob Jackson (who was on 'Head First') had to head back to Surrey & 're-trace' his steps to another Funeral in 1983 ...as he had to Pete's in 1975... Crying or Very sad

the Band seemed 'airbrushed' out of Rock History...No albums on catalogue...just battered old Apple & warners Seventies albums fetching high prices....

Nilsson's 'Without You' (Later covered by Mariah Carey) and occasional plays of 'Come and Get it' & 'No Matter What'....plus the odd cover - like Allan Clarke doing Pete's 'Baby Blue' in 1980 on 'The Only One' were it seemed the only surviving aspects..... Crying or Very sad

Finally the legal situation re Apple was resolved...a 'Best of Badfinger' CD came out....then over time ALL the Badfinger Apple albums, plus The Iveys 1968 album and the Warners sets...even 'Head First' were issued on CD

two CD "albums" of Pete Ham's Demos - '7 Park Avenue' and 'Golders Green' were issued....and Dan Mantovina's sad but fascinating book 'Without You' was printed (a MUST READ for all young aspiring musicians - of at least what pitfalls to beware of !)

...a 'Very Best of Badfinger' CD is out - plus recently the first four Apple albums have been re-mastered with extra bonus tracks !


Despite the Tragic early Deaths of Pete & Tom (Drummer Mike Gibbins has sadly now left us too)....hanging long over their mostly unavailable back catalogue...like a shroud....the superb Music itself is a sunny, uplifting & very POSITIVE thing...

Today Bob Jackson still pays tribute to them in Fortunes concerts....

while the other surviving member Joey Molland does too (sometimes playing alongside his old school friend Terry Sylvester !)

Badfinger may now be long gone....but their talent goes on in their finally exhumed & 'polished up' back catalogue...they have taken their place at last alongside contemporaries The Beatles & The Hollies etc...as a truly Classic British Band,

they are often cited as the founders of 'Power Pop'

their wonderful music was priceless....and that SURVIVES Cool



Hi Gee,

Saw Joey Molland at The Matthew Street Festival Liverpool in 2009 - Played a blinder of a set of Badfinger classics. He still is a very entertaining artist and an exceptional guitarist. Can't believe that Badfinger aren't in the rock and roll hall of fame as they have been eligible since 1995 and haven't even been nominated. Like you have stated very eloquently their wonderful music was priceless. Martin I agree 10 fold that Pete Ham was a unique talent of the like we might never see again.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 17, 2011 23:12 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 661
Location: Gahanna, Ohio USA

And even though hardcore Badfinger fans have said a lot of mean-spirited things about Joey Molland and his late spouse Kathy, I saw him in concert three times over the past decade. I found Joey to be a gentleman, eager to talk to fans, and still a wonderful guitarist.

I hope that Molland keeps playing for many years to come, because without Joey, Badfinger music in concert would disappear from the face of the earth.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 388
Location: Manchester UK

SpartyScott wrote:
And even though hardcore Badfinger fans have said a lot of mean-spirited things about Joey Molland and his late spouse Kathy, I saw him in concert three times over the past decade. I found Joey to be a gentleman, eager to talk to fans, and still a wonderful guitarist.

I hope that Molland keeps playing for many years to come, because without Joey, Badfinger music in concert would disappear from the face of the earth.



Here here Scott !!! - Joey Molland is keeping the spirit of Badfingers music alive and doing it in pure style !!!
PostPosted:Thu Feb 03, 2011 23:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin S Post subject:



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 12
Location: Pendle, England

There was an interesting program on BBC Radio 2 last night. It mainly covered the song "Without You".

It had some interesting archive interveiws

Try this link if you want to listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y8x91

_________________
Best Regards
PostPosted:Thu Feb 10, 2011 19:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 388
Location: Manchester UK

Martin S wrote:
There was an interesting program on BBC Radio 2 last night. It mainly covered the song "Without You".

It had some interesting archive interveiws

Try this link if you want to listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y8x91



Thank you very much Martin for posting this link to a most fascinating programme. Really interesting to hear how the amalgamation of two songs, Pete's If It's Love and Tom's I Can't Live becoming the beautiful Without You. Such tragic events plagued Badfingers career and personal lives, but the music they produced was truely phenomenal. Great interviews as well. Really enjoyed it but very sad.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 10, 2011 20:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 661
Location: Gahanna, Ohio USA

I enjoyed that link.

And I definitely agreed with one point -- the way Mariah Carey goes to all those trills and changing octaves is tiresome. All she is doing is showing her tremendous vocal range, at the expense of the song.

As one of the speakers on that link suggests, there is a tradition of that in blues music -- jazz music too.

But she all but ruined Without You. Give me Nilsson's version any time.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 11, 2011 18:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
scousette Post subject:



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 17

Gee, as ever, your post is comprehensive and informative. Thanks so much for sharing your history of Badfinger here. Such a fine band with wonderful music, and so tragic a story.

Martin S, thanks for the link. I will give the program a listen.

For anyone on the US East Coast, Joey Molland will be appearing at the Fest for Beatle Fans in Secaucus, NJ in March. Here's a link with more info.

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-national/new-york-metro-fest-for-beatles-fans-announces-initial-guest-list
PostPosted:Fri Feb 11, 2011 19:32 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin S Post subject:



Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 12
Location: Pendle, England

I actually prefer Badfingers version of the song. It has the best feel and is not over produced. The honesty of the band shines though.
Its that the makes Badfinger very very special.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 13, 2011 19:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Mieke Post subject: Peter Ham tribute concert
Banjo


Banjo
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Mol, Belgium

This month there's a special tribute concert for Peter Ham (Badfinger). Here are some links to that event:
https://twitter.com/PeteHamConcert/status/320997627187576835/photo/1
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swansea-makes-daughter-feel-closer-late-Badfinger/story-18621138-detail/story.html#axzz2PluJTcNK.

_________________
Regards, Mieke
PostPosted:Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic
   
graphic

graphic graphic
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic


Page 1 of 1
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
graphic graphic


KDM2 template v1.0.2 © jasidog.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
The time now is Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:22 am. All times are GMT