graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » In praise of Bernie Calvert
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject: In praise of Bernie Calvert

Back in the 1990's, I was always a bit annoyed when I read the liner notes for the EPIC ANTHOLOGY and the 30TH ANNIVERSARY discs...why was the popular consensus of the time that Bernie was something less of a bass player than Eric Haydock? I've always put them on the same level. If they sound a bit different, it's really because the music was quite different. The Hollies early sound of R&B and Rock & Roll cover songs was really a far cry from what the Hollies were doing between 1966-1980.
Eric showed he had a speedy style, but Bernie always was much more accurate when it came to tuning the bass. I'm also a big fan of Bernie's bass lines on "Postcard" and "Jennifer Eccles."
PostPosted:Wed Jun 23, 2004 17:48 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Marky Exclamation

I agree with what you said, Bernie was/is a superb bass guitarist and if he was exactly like Eric Haydock then we would probably have people calling him a copycat or something. Twisted Evil

I did read somewhere that Bernie couldn't play the bass at all and that his guitar was never plugged in at Hollies concerts which I never and still don't believe. I saw the Hollies in 1976 when Bernie was still with them and if he wasn't playing that bass then he had me fooled and besides when Allan intruduced the other band members they each did a solo on their instruments so therefore Bernie's bass was plugged in and he played it really well. I suppose that some twit will be saying that Bobby never really plays his drums next. Twisted Evil

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:18 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If anyone's guitar was never plugged in it would have been Graham's back in the day. I recall seeing some old performance footage of the Hollies and his guitar cord was nowhere to be seen.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject:

Yes, that was it! In the 1980's, Tony Hicks revealed that Graham never plugged in on stage. You'll note that many early Hollies pictures always show Graham with an acoustic guitar. Well, on stage, it never had a microphone or a pickup on it. I've seen some pictures from 1967-68 where Graham has an old Gibson Les Paul (with white single coil pick-ups on it) with him, but I don't know if he was plugged in or not. I don't see WHY not, as he has proven himself an adequate player over the years. Tony Hicks also said that Terry Sylvester didn't plug in on stage straight away with the Hollies either. I've read quotes where he makes it sound as though Terry didn't plug in until Allan left the group in 1971. But Bernie definitely plugged in and played his bass, those nice "buildup" notes in the live version of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" prove it!
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 17:57 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I've heard the same thing about Stu Sutcliffe in the Beatles and a few years ago Glenn Wheatley with The Masters Apprentices.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 21:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi All,

I would just like to say that I think Bernie's time with the Hollies was awesome and that I think he leaves us with much to appreciate especially in the 70's era.

Bye,

Shari
PostPosted:Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Delia Morris Post subject:

I really don't care if he was 'plugged' or 'unplugged' he sure was/is sexy!!

Delia Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Delia Exclamation

I agree, Bernie was quite sexy and so gorgeous. He was my favourite Hollie in the 70's. I believe that Bernie always plugged his guitar in just as Tony and Terry did.

All The Best

Susie

Smile Cool
PostPosted:Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

I think that Bernie Calvert was cute (going by photos I've seen of him) and like Delia, I don't care if he was plugged in at concerts or not.

Bye For Now

Cindy

Rolling Eyes Cool
PostPosted:Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:31 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Graham didn't plug in, but Bernie certainly did. Too much to ask Tony, after he was the sole guitarist on stage during the Nash years, to also try to simultaneously produce lead guitar AND bass guitar parts live in the Calvert era (and Pete Wingfield, et al, were probably too busy with other keyboard parts to also handle keyboard bass).

Nash's guitar was unnecessary. Bernie's bass was.

Although I've always had a preference for Eric Haydock, it was recently pointed out to me by a good friend from the Netherlands that Bernie had a very keyboard-inspired approach toward playing the bass. Logical, as he was originally a piano player.

So, I will now have to go back and listen to fifteen years of Hollies recordings to analyze his bass guitar style from that perspective...

...lucky me! Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 16:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi All,

Good to hear from you again Delia! How are things in New Zealand?

When I think of all my years of being a Hollies fan, I will always think of Bernie as being one of the best. As I mentioned elsewhere recently, when I look back on all my Hollies stuff, there isn't much Eric there, because rightly or wrongly, he was cut out of many pictures.

I disagree with our Spev. I don't think Bamfy was as innocent as she thinks. He's pretty cute, I think she underestimates him.

Shari
PostPosted:Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: Re;In praise of Bernie Calvert
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi All
Coming to work this morning I was listening to the CD "Love Songs" by The Hollies which came out about 10 years ago now I think on the mfp label.

One track I played twice and just loved the Bass Guitar sound on was Sorry Suzanne. Was that not Bernie who played Bass on that? Its a superb track all round and always a favorite Hollies track of mine!

Martin
PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Martin Exclamation

Yes, it was Bernie who played Bass on Sorry Suzanne. He also played Piano on some songs as well. Smile

All The Best

Susie

Razz Cool
PostPosted:Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Susie,
I remember seeing Bernie play Piano in Melbourne way back in 75, I have very fond memories of him playing Let It Be. Hard to believe thats almost 30 years ago, gee I was still at school and it was my first ever concert.

PostPosted:Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

My very first Hollies concert was in 1976 and I remember the superb job Bernie did when he played Piano on I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top, he also played Piano on some other songs as well. And while Bernie played Piano, Tony played the Bass. That was 28 years ago and I was in my final year at school although it doesn't seem that long.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Smile
PostPosted:Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2