graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » What do the lyrics of He Ain't Heavy mean to you ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject: What do the lyrics of He Ain't Heavy mean to you ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I would love to hear your feelings about this anthemic masterpiece !
PostPosted:Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:06 am

Last edited by Carrie Anne on Sat Jun 23, 2012 13:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
barb1231 Post subject: he aint heavy
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

to carrie anne,
well my husband was always a fan of the hollies, we had been planning to see them but in jan 2001 he was told he had a brain tumor, he had his opperation and treatment for cancer. after five years we where given the all clear, we had the rest of our lives to live, our girls where 5 and 8 years old.in oct 2006 he sadley passed away.my girls and myself have been to as many shows as possible, both my girls think of their daddy when the hollies sing , he aint heavy. so it means quite a lot to us.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thank you barb1231

I first heard this beautiful song when I was a very small child but it wasn't until I was a teenager that I understood the sentiments of the song fully. I have spoken to many individuals on this subject and everyone always has a story to tell on what this song means to them personally. I have lots of memories and over the years the exquisite masterpiece has touched me in lots of different ways but one ( which is quite recent ) is quite nice. I am a primary school teacher and a few weeks ago it was my classes turn to perform our assembly. The theme was about someone who had provided support for a fellow man who was not as strong as him emotionally. We had to choose music for the theme so He Ain't Heavy was such a poignant choice. The children learnt all the words and sang it beautifully. I can honestly tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the house including yours truely. Very memorable !
PostPosted:Sat Jun 23, 2012 18:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
barb1231 Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

yes i know what you mean my daughters now 11 and 14 do shed a tear or two when pete starts to sing and as the band join in it makes the heart race, its such a memorable song. barbara , christina 14 and olivia 11.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 23, 2012 21:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

CarrieAnne and Barb, i enjoyed reading your stories, thank you for sharing.

i first heard this beautiful song when i was in junior high and really liked it just because of the gorgeous melody and lovely lyrics, and the Hollies sang it so beautifully. When i was in high school, my cousin - who was my age, and we were extremely close - was diagnosed with lymphoma. He fought very hard for two years, through all the traveling 100 miles to the hospital for treatments, the sickness, losing his beautiful hair (very tough for a teenager in the 70's!) and everything that someone battling cancer, and the hardship that the family goes through. He died shortly before our graduation from high school.

The school had an empty chair for him in the place where he would have sat. They presented his parents and siblings with a posthumous diploma and he was listed in our program as well. 'He Ain't Heavy' had become our theme song for him in his valiant struggle during our last two years of high school. The band played it in his memory at the graduation ceremony. There was not a dry eye in the auditorium that day. That was 1975 and to this day i think of him when i hear it. It's a hero's song!

PostPosted:Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I first heard 'He Ain't Heavy' in 1988 as a 5 year old and I just loved it and of course I still do. As Peter has said it is The Hollies anthem. I feel moved by this song in such a positive way and sometimes it can make me feel sentimental, happy,peaceful and content.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 26, 2012 17:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1