graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Are There Any special Hollies 50th Anniversary plans ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Are There Any special Hollies 50th Anniversary plans ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm sure a great many Hollies fans will be wondering if besides the 50th Anniversary Tour and the eagerly awaited forthcoming 'Radio Fun' compilation of vintage BBC Radio sessions (& that budget 'Very Best of...' CD in January) are there any special plans being made in order to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the foundation of 'The Hollies' group way back in 1962 ?

Do the current incarnation of The Hollies plan their next studio album for release in this 50th Anniversary year ?

Will any 'Live' album by the current Hollies be released ?

Any chance of a 'Rarities 2' set ? (there ARE plenty of tracks that still could be used, both studio & vintage "Live" songs )

Do the band have anything organised for their fans ?

Will EMI /Universal look to continuing the (currently stalled half way through) Re-issue programme of the remastered with 'Bonus' tracks seventies studio albums ?

Any chance of a long overdue UK release finally being given to 'Out On The Road' (1973) remastered clearly with relavent era 'Bonus' studio & Live tracks ? (even as part of a 2CD set with 'Romany' & related 'Bonus' Tracks titled: 'The Hollies - The Mike Rickfors Years : 1972-1973' ?)

Any possibility of a follow up box set to 'The Clarke, Hicks, Nash Years' possibly titled: 'The Allan Clarke Years: 1969-1999' being compiled ? (going from 'Sorry Suzanne' up to 'The Woman I Love', including some rarer songs such as: 'Nothing Else But Love', 'Your Eyes', 'Hard To Forget' etc, which would be of use to Hollies Collectors )

Any chance of any 'vintage' Live sets we know The Hollies Limited recorded with Allan Clarke and later Carl Wayne in the band being made...?

These are all the questions that many Hollies fans worldwide are wondering - so can anyone tell us IS anything special planned and can anything be advised ?

would any onstage introduction of past Hollie members (not to perform maybe but to acknowledge the fans - we DON'T want another 'R & R Hall of Fame' type fiasco do we ? ) - but IF past 'issues' could be forgotten for just ONE evening & The Hollies past & present greet their fans it would make a wonderful occasion - remember Allan Clarke joined Crosby & Nash onstage for 'Bus Stop' recently....

(besides The Late Great Carl Wayne ALL the main 'Hollies' band members are still with us...perhaps Don Rathbone might have to be represented by a 'message to the fans' as I believe Don is not in the best of health these days)

Who knows maybe one or two 'broken bridges' relationship wise MIGHT be repaired ? (this would really be an ideal oppertunity & ALL of The Hollies true fans would LOVE to see it I know For Certain Because....)

A 50th Anniversary does not come along every day & I see groups like The Beach Boys & even The Searchers are celebrating their respective 50th Anniversaries

...so is there any news ?
PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
barb1231 Post subject: 50th ann
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

well we have enjoyed the 5oth annv tour, the current line up is superb, what happened in the past should stay in the past.its up to the members to decide not the fans if the others get together, they chose to go to america and the founder members stayed loyal to their british fans, and how fantastic they are, not a lot of bands from the 60s attract 11 and 14 year olds my girls love the songs and how many singers can sing the hollies greats like he aint heavy,etc, like peter howarth, answer not many

PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 13:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I didn't understood much of that reply or your facts or logic frankly to be honest !

I was asking IF there was any news ?

I never said the current line up was not superb....

I wasn't saying the fans SHOULD decide if past members should be invited along to any 50th celebration...just suggesting the possibility as they are celebrating the band's 50 year career...

The Hollies Founder members - Clarke & Nash - DID actually both go to America (Nash in early 1969 and Clarke after his retirement from the band now spends alot of his time in the USA)

A fair few other bands from the sixties still DO attract younger fans to their shows groups like: The Moody Blues, The Rolling Stones, The Who (Townshend & Daltrey), The Zombies (Argent & Blunstone), The Beach Boys, The Manfreds, The Searchers, many Merseybeat bands & even groups likwe Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Ten Years After atc... (all sixties bands) are still touring & attracting new younger fans...

IF as you say 'what happened in the past should stay in the past' then I assume you mean nothing from the past is relavent to The Hollies now ?
...so NO 'Radio Fun' CD or any other vintage Hollies releases should be made ? ....and NO Past Hollies songs should then be included in the current Hollies show going by that logic - yes ?

If that is what you are saying I don't really understand your thinking !
PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 15:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
barb1231 Post subject: gee
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

just to say , you dont seem very with it, Confused
i mean the past personal issues not the music,
all the hollies music has moved with the times and are all classics. if you have seen the 50th tour it is just great all the hits throughout the years, i feel the founder members wouldent give anything more, like i said the band should make the choice of the older members joining them.
as for the hall of fame, bobby explained that they had booked the palladium and sold out that evening and would not dissapoint the fans by cancelling that show , so the fiasco was due to the american organisers. Shocked
ALL I NEED TO SAY IS WELL DONE TO THE HOLLIES FOR THE 50 YEARS AND ITS A GREAT TOUR AGAIN SEE YOU ALL AGAIN SOON. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 16:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think Gee has a good point - my thoughts have been going along the same lines as to a reunion night. The main problem may be Allan's voice. Graham is still very much an active performing artist, as is Mikael. A high profile night wouls be a nice celebration of the Hollies as recording artists - spring next year would be exactly 50 years since their first recording session.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 19:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

ROB??? you're the closest to the band. . . any plans or notions of plans in the works along these lines???

PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 20:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
an Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think a 50th anniversary is a reason to celebrate.

Gee wrote down some good ideas to do so.
-I also would like to see all the members together for a reunion night. (At the Royal Albert Hall in London?) It’s now or never.
-The idea of a new studio album (with present and past members?) and live album of the current tour is great too.
-A CD ‘Allan Clarke years 1969-1999’ would make it complete.
-And something for the fans? - of course Smile

If The Hollies have plans to do so I hope they announce it long in advance so we can plan it in our diary.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 18, 2012 20:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

So I'm not very 'with it' eh Barb ? Confused

well Bobby Elliott, (whom I know of old), Tim Chacksfield (for EMI) and Rob Haywood (whom I know of old Likewise) have all consulted me a good few times over the years to check on things re The Hollies past career & recordings etc .

I am VERY well aware of ALL the 'past personal issues' regarding why each past Hollie member left the band I can assure you...
...from Vic Farrell (k/a 'Vic Steele') their original guitarist onwards...

Thanks for your supporting posts Knut, An, & Sass ! Wink

- yes it would be nice if past members who have 'played their part' in the Hollies long illustrious career now being celebrated COULD at least be introduced onstage if not actually perform.

- Possibly they all could do a special 'group sung' version of 'Just One Look' (a song sung in tight close harmony) the band's first major UK hit that properly established them and their distinctive vocal 'sound' - featuring them ALL singing it together in close harmony - Allan, Graham, Tony, (hopefully Terry too ), Mike Rickfors , plus of course Peter, Steve, Ray & Ian

- that would be a tremendous 'salute' to The Hollies - If they could do a version of 'He Ain't Heavy' with the cast of Cornonation Street SURELY this ought to be possible ??

Ray Stiles spoke in their Radio Story 'They Ain't Heavy...Their The Hollies' of how he went to Abbey Road studios just to watch Allan, Tony, & Graham sing together on 'Peggy Sue Got Married' (Backing up Buddy Holly's voice) as it was such a special moment for Ray to see the three originals together around a mike for one last time in the studio....

- what better than for Ray, Peter, Steve & Ian (of today's Hollies) to sing alongside the three original vocalists - and IF Terry & Mike Rickfors were also there as well it would be even better....

A group sung version featuring all the surviving key Hollies vocalists (not forgetting Carl Wayne of course) would enable Allan Clarke to participate whatever condition his voice may be in (& it sounded better recently after his long rest from concert singing)

The Beach Boys surviving members (including orginal Dave Marks !) are doing a 50th Tour so a 'one off' reunion song or just onstage intros of past members WOULD be a lovely thing for Hollies fans past & present - and certainly in no way would detract from the current Hollies indeed it would further establish the link between The Hollies line ups - Then, Now, Always ! Cool

- A superb current Hollies line up whom I HAVE seen in concert quite a number of times and I assure you I AM well aquainted with as a concert act ! Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also hope there will be something more for this 50th anniversary year. That makes me sound very ungrateful, and I don't mean to be. It seems odd to announce the anniversary and not do anything 'special' to mark the event. On the poster advertising the tour of South Africa, it did say 'World Tour', however, it did also say they were an American rock and roll group, so perhaps more than one thing was incorrect...
For me personally, I would be more than happy to have a new concert DVD or CD of the current line up, as I am more a fan now. But I appreciate that to commemorate 50 years, you have to include all previous Hollies' members who have all contributed to what they are today. It would be great if there could be a 'get together'.
I can't wait to find out ! Smile
PostPosted:Thu Apr 19, 2012 13:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Gee
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I think that all of your points are excellent and well suggested but somewhat rhetorical? Are you asking if the fans will support these ideas and releases? I would definitely.

You're close to the Hollies and their management-what is their thinking?
It's very encouraging to hear that there's more unreleased material but what can the loyal and befuddled Hollies audience do to get more material released and reunions among it's present and former members.

As I said, I support all of your ideas and suggestions but that doesn't help bring these things about does it? Could we petition BBC and the Hollies? Or maybe have a sit down strike in Manchester. Just kidding.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 24, 2012 14:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1