The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Carl Wayne
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Carl Wayne
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

G'day All Exclamation

I would just like to say what a fantastic singer/entertainer Carl Wayne is.
When Allan Clarke left the band I was shocked and upset but then I saw The Hollies with Carl (and met him) Smile and I forgot about Allan (sorry Allan). For those who haven't seen the Hollies with Carl you are missing a fantastic performance for all six guys, all of them are what you call great entertainers. Laughing

Carl is the perfect choice as Lead Singer for the band and in his 4 years since joining, he has built an excellent working relationship with the others and is every bit an entertainer as Allan. He really knows how to entertain and give the audience a great time and I hope he stays with The Hollies for many years to come. Smile

All The Best

Susie

Razz Cool
PostPosted:Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:19 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject: More Carl...More Hollies

The Hollies MUST RECORD MATERIAL WITH CARL WAYNE. Otherwise...it's a waste of Carl Wayne!! Yes, I know that Tony and Bobby could care less, but the talents of all the folks involved is quite sizable. Plus, the Hollies as a musical unit should be more than just a "human jukebox" to play old Hollies hits in concert. The Hollies recorded legacy should continue...not to mention it's that legacy that made them what they are today and it's the reason people show up to their concerts. Not only that, but Alan, Carl, Ian and Ray must get kind of embarrased when a fan comes along in the UK and asks them to sign an old Hollies album, and a fan unknowingly asks "which one is you?" or "my, how you've changed." Let's give ALL the Hollies something proud to show off!! If the bandmembers don't all write original material, I'm sure they know how to GET material. More Paul Bliss songs, more old R&B covers (like the old days), find Kenny Lynch again, record some old solo songs of Allan's or Graham's. The possibilities are endless. If EMI isn't interested in releasing such a project, have the group market it for sale on this site with Rob!! (man, I'm just full of good ideas today! Laughing )
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 18:13 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree totally with ever word you just said Marky. Hopefully The Hollies may someday record new material with the current line-up and show the world that today's line-up has as much talent of the line-ups of the 60's and 70's and what a wonderful singer Carl is.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Markie and Susie,

Amen and amen!

Shari
PostPosted:Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:35 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think they key is to get some original material recorded - 2003 releases from Fleetwood Mac and Procol Harum were magnificent and just go to prove that 'oldies' acts can still produce the goods. Although, to borrow a phrase from above, I think the Hollies will see out their days as a touring human jukebox - rather disappointing to say the least. Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Fri Jul 09, 2004 13:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I to would like to see new material recorded with the current line-up and hopefully in the not too distant future it will happen.

Bye, Cindy
PostPosted:Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:25 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I appreciate all your comments about Carl's talents and why the Hollies should record with him. Thank you Susie, for bringing this topic up.

I should probably "stop right there"...as Shari, especially, and some of the rest of you know, I have a certain personal bias on this subject!

Tony's/Bobby's/EMI's disinterest in further Hollies recordings (except to boost sales of yet another decennial collection) is the reason why Carl, Ian, Alan and Ray have all pursued other opportunities in and around the music biz when the Hollies are not touring, as evidenced by Carl's various recordings with Et Cetera. There is, of course, also the problem of "ageism" in the youth-oriented pop music industry that exists today.

I don't see future collaborations between Carl and Roy Wood/other former Move members as likely. The only other vehicles by which I can imagine new recordings from Carl are jingles (fun, but less than completely satisfying, and not likely to be heard by those of us in the former Colonies!) or by his return to covering songs from various musicals, as he did during much of the 90s. I enjoy those recordings immensely, so it wouldn't be all bad.

But new Hollies recordings of QUALITY material would be tops.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 17:05 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I would love to be 'a fly on the wall' if anybody had the nerve to ask Tony why there won't be any new recordings.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 21:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Watch out for the fly spray. I don't even worry about wishing for new recordings anymore as my only real wish is for a DVD and maybe a tour.
I do feel very sorry for Carl but really the band recorded very little after their last album in 1983 and funnily enough I loved all the later stuff.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 15, 2004 22:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I would love to hear new stuff from the Hollies! It can't be that hard to record new songs! I'm sure Tony still can write some songs...
PostPosted:Tue Jul 20, 2004 20:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

'Pegsusssss the fly-ing hoarssssse.....' Laughing

To be brutally honest, I suspect that the Tone-ster is the reason why they haven't recorded any new material...maybe it would interfere with his weekly shampoo and set at the hairdressers? Shocked
PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:02 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi James,
I think your being hard on Tony, most men his age have a cut and polish instead of a trim. It would have to be the older members being the brother In-laws who are holding the band back from recording. In the end really what does it matter, they give a great concert and are a 60's and 70's band.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed Jul 21, 2004 15:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well said Anthony, I agree with you 100%. Anyway, I don't really worry about whether or not the guys record new material anymore and as you said Anthony, they do give a great concert and are a 60's/70's band (mainly).

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Cool
PostPosted:Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The reason why I (and others Wink ) go on about the current situation is that there is so much potential within the band to produce new music (or even to vary the setlist a little more). It just doesn't happen. Crying or Very sad Whilst I appreciate that the band had most of their success in the 60's and 70's there is still the potential to produce new, if not chartworthy (hell, the charts are full of smile anyway), material. I think to be honest, the band are victims of their success - the average punter who goes along to a Hollies concert wouldn't bother if they just did live versions of 20 Golden Greats then walked off stage. Shocked

Even the lack of new 'old' material such as rarities, b-sides etc is pretty poor for a band of the Hollies standing Shocked --- it is compilation after compilation of the hits that we are hit with. Rolling Eyes

Sorry for all the moaning, it just pisses me off!

Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi James,
I agree with you, I would have loved new recordings and was mad that the lads never did new material, but now I know it's not going to happen and just except it.

PostPosted:Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2