graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Writing On The Wall » 2012
graphic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: 2012

Site Admin

Concert reviews from 2012

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Mar 19, 2012 14:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: 2012-03-04 - Milton Keynes by Dick Evans

Site Admin

At long last the Hollies are performing at my home town of Milton Keynes. This will be the first UK leg of the 50th Anniversary Tour. The lads played at this venue at the start of the century when the late great Carl Wayne was lead vocalist and, hopefully, this might be a regular stop for them.

As soon as I got to the theatre I went to the merchandise counter to buy the latest tour book and had a few words with Rob Haywood and agreed to send in my old concert reviews as some were missing from the web-site.

It was then time to find our seats so with my wife, daughter and her fiancé with his parents we soon settled down for the start of the show. The lighting soon picked out the lads from the darkness, as they were all wearing black clothing, and as the stage came into the full light they got straight into CURLY BILLY. Peter was very energetic in getting the audience to get into “hand warming mode” and this led into I CAN’T LET GO followed by JENNIFER ECCLES although in his enthusiasm he did have to stop the microphone from crashing to the floor so top marks to him. He has certainly made his name as an excellent front man.

YES I WILL was next and then ON A CAROUSEL was accompanied by some superb lighting effects giving the illusion of a Carousel ride – well done to the lighting techies.

This was followed by Tony taking the lead for THEN NOW ALWAYS, a reference to the pre Hollies days for himself and Bobby (hard work and party times back then)

Peter then came back for what he said was a song written by a local lad (he teased) called Bruce Springsteen so we were treated to a very powerful rendition of SANDY.

Then it was time for Steve to take centre stage to give his version of KING MIDAS with Ray and Tony providing harmony backing.

Tony then said they would do a number which was way back from the early 60s days but it gave them a Number One in Scandinavia – home of ex 70s front man Mikael Rickfors – VERY LAST DAY is a typical Hollies sing a long number and in complete contrast this was followed by EMOTIONS which was recorded only a few years ago.

Tony then changed instrument to “the sparkly thing” as Peter calls the Danelectro Sitar and with the superb keyboard arrangement from Ian we had the mesmerising intro to THE BABY and then the final song of the first half was another variation of LOOK THROUGH ANY WINDOW with, once again, some very intricate and speedy lead playing from Tony and Steve which was well worth the applause to end Set One.

I’M ALIVE, their UK Number One from 1965, opened Set Two. By this time the lads were dressed in very colourful casual attire and SORRY SUZANNE and BUS STOP got the audience into singing mode once again.

Tony then introduced another Scandinavian hit from the archive library which was the folky type ballad of STEWBALL the racehorse.

Bobby then descended from his drum throne – even as the elder statesman of the band he makes the percussion side of music look so easy and effortless so it’s no wonder he has been held with the highest regard from a lot of his contemporaries over the years.

He introduced I CAN’T TELL THE BOTTOM FROM THE TOP as the solo spot for Peter. This song highlighted not only Peter’s guitar playing techniques but showed how he can transpose an arrangement to suit his style and he has proved himself to be a very versatile vocalist.

Peter then stated that The Hollies is not about one voice but a combination of many as demonstrated by the trio of Ray, Steve and Tony singing a medley of LISTEN TO ME, HERE I GO AGAIN and GASOLENE ALLEY BRED.

After this Peter came back for centre stage and virtually chased Ray back to his rear stage perch and then we had another song from the recent Staying Power album WEAKNESS.

With JUST ONE LOOK Ian was invited to come down to centre stage to play the – Lead Tambourine – as Peter put it much to the amusement of the audience and this was followed by STAY and LONG COOL WOMAN.

Next it was time to “really get your singing voice” according to Peter with the up tempo CARRIE ANNE and another superb fast fingered solo from Tony.

Then we came to what Peter described as the highlight of the show as Tony changed instrument to the banjo for what has become his trademark long intro to STOP STOP STOP with Ian coming down to the stage for a wander around but this time playing the squeeze box.

HE AIN’T HEAVY, the Hollies anthem, as stated by Peter, was next and then with reference to the 50 years of touring by Tony and Bobby he reckoned that Tony had played a few guitar licks in that time – none more so than the memorable intro to THE AIR THAT I BREATHE which brought the evening’s concert to a truly wonderful ending and certainly kicked off the Anniversary tour with a bang.

The traditional LET LOVE PASS closed the evening so here’s wishing and hoping you lads carry on forever – CHEERS.

Dick (SlowHand) Evans

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject: 2012-03-22 - Basingstoke Anvil by Alan Martin

Site Admin

I took my brother in-law to his first concert at the Anvil in Basingstoke. We went to the merchandise counter and purchased the new tour book and to save time ordered out interval drinks.

Once in our seats we waited for the intro music then one by one the lads came on stage.

Soon we were rocking to CURLY BILLY and Peter got us in the mood with a cracking start on vocals.

Soon I CANT LET GO then JENNIFER ECCLES followed with Peter saying "hello Basingstoke" and saying how they like to play at the Anvil.

YES I WILL came next followed by a great version of ON A CAROUSEL.

Then Peter told us about THEN NOW ALWAYS saying it was a reference to the days before The Hollies when Tony and Bobby were together in The Dolphins. He then handed over to Tony to take the lead vocals.

PETER came on back and amused every one with a tease about Bruce Springsteen then he showed what a great voice he has with a cracking version of SANDY.

Next it was Steve's turn to tell us it’s KING MIDAS with backing by RAY and TONY.

TONY then told us they would do a real oldie - it was VERY LAST DAY.

This was followed by EMOTIONS from staying power from just 6 years ago.

Then it was time for fireworks with TONY taking to his guitar/sitar and with IAN doing a fantastic arrangement we had THE BABY. Following the long introduction PETER got into action showing what a superb frontman he has turned out to be. Having seen Allan Clarke a few times, PETER has given the band the same sound on harmonies.

Then came LOOK THROUGH ANY WINDOW with "Mr Nimble Fingers" TONY working his magic to finish the 1st half.

The lads left to a resounding applause and we made our way to the bar for our interval drinks. Soon it was time to get back into our seats.

Soon the lads where back looking casual having been in dark clothing in the 1st half.

The second half opened up with I'M ALIVE from the 60s then my youngest daughters song, SORRY SUZANNE (her name) followed by BUS STOP. By now we were all in a singing mood.

Tony said next up was another hit from Scandinavia, a great song called STEWBALL.

"SIR" Bobby then came down to introduce Peter to sing and play guitar to his arrangement of I CANT TELL THE BOTTOM FROM THE TOP. What a front man he is, guitar in hand he nailed it. A great reception from the crowd.

Peter then said The Hollies were not about one voice but a combination of voices and he left the stage to Ray, Tony and Steve who began a medley of songs, LISTEN TO ME, HERE I GO AGAIN and GASOLENE ALLEY BRED.

A great reception for the three of them with Steve and Rays voices coming through strong.

Peter came back and made a reference again to STAYING POWER with WEAKNESS. His voice is so powerful on this great track.

JUST ONE LOOK was next with Ian coming off his perch to play "lead tambourine".

Soon it came to STAY, a number that Brian May has said has a great intro and riff.

Then Peter said the next song was a number 1 in America, LONG COOL WOMAN. Another great reception.

Peter then said here is CARRIE ANNE with another solo from Tony.

Then another highlight, Tony taking to the banjo with a long intro to STOP STOP STOP. Ian this time came down to the front with his squeeze box, coming over to one of the boxes in the corner.

My brother in-law was singing away by now.

Soon it was time for the final songs. The Hollies anthem was next, with Peter saying a reference to 50 years, followed by HE AINT HEAVY.

The lads took to the front, but wait, those who go to see The Hollies know it’s not over yet. Time for THE AIR THAT I BREATH.

A great reception from everyone before the last song with Steve, Ray, Peter and Tony singing LET LOVE PASS from the Staying Power album.

"SIR" Bobby then thanked everyone for coming and the lads left to a great reception.

Roll on Liverpool and Edinburgh. My brother in-law was very happy as we made our way to the station and back to Southampton.

Alan Martin

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Writing On The Wall
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1