graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » "Arrogant Creeps"?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: "Arrogant Creeps"?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

In the February 2012 issue of "Record Collector" magazine, there is an article about a short-lived 1960's American group "The Misunderstood", whose brief UK-only recording career(several singles on the Fontana label) was cut short by work permit problems.

The group's management arranged to have the group introduced to The Hollies to create some publicity for The Misunderstood. Vocalist Rick Brown now describes The Hollies as "arrogant creeps".

Could it be that The Hollies didn't like being used as part of a publicity stunt for a rival band that they likely had never heard of?
PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2012 16:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
HicksyChick Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Interesting. I can only speculate but maybe it had something to do the The Misunderstood being Union Jack sporting Americans. The were far more like the Pretty Things than The Hollies so maybe the musical differences had something to do with it. I can't see how The Hollies could have helped The Misunderstood. It's not nearly as extreme as putting Hendrix on before The Monkees, but the general gist of it is there.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2012 19:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

HicksyChick wrote:
Interesting. I can only speculate but maybe it had something to do the The Misunderstood being Union Jack sporting Americans. The were far more like the Pretty Things than The Hollies so maybe the musical differences had something to do with it. I can't see how The Hollies could have helped The Misunderstood. It's not nearly as extreme as putting Hendrix on before The Monkees, but the general gist of it is there.

Funny that you should mention it, but in July 1967(when I was 11 years old), my sister(who was 19 at the time) took me to my first rock concert: The Monkees with support acts Lynne Randell & The Jimi Hendrix Experience at Miami Beach Convention Hall.

Yes, Davy Jones will be missed, but as much as I love most 1960's Monkees music, both of The Hollies' versions of "Yes I Will" are superior to The Monkees retitled version(which is called "I'll Be True to You").
PostPosted:Sun Mar 04, 2012 21:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Phil Cohen wrote:

Yes, Davy Jones will be missed, but as much as I love most 1960's Monkees music, both of The Hollies' versions of "Yes I Will" are superior to The Monkees retitled version(which is called "I'll Be True to You").

As you've mentioned Davy Jones, I have to agree, he will be missed by me. He took over from Paul McCartney in my affections when I was 9. One of my most stand out memories of a concert was for The Monkees 30th anniversary tour (I think) at Wembley Arena, when the whole crowd was up on their feet and singing along to 'Daydream Believer' - wow, that was great.
I also agree that Yes I Will was a better version. That was one of my favourite Hollies songs at the time. When I first started work and tried to get copies of records I'd missed, it took me ages to find I'll Be True to You by The Hollies, no wonder - I didn't realise it was called Yes I Will!!!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2012 19:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I only want to say, that I'll miss Davy Jones too.

It was the Monkees who introduced me to pop music, with their tv-show, that Swedish television started to broadcast in 1967. I fell in love with all four of them, and their music, and at the age of 13, I started to check out pop music, and found a new world. Eventually I found the Hollies, and became a fan. I'll always be thankful to the Monkees.

Rest in peace, Davy.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2012 21:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
HicksyChick Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

As for Davy, words cannot express. Such a wonderful and loving talent who left us far too young.

He and I have a mutual friend (and a truthful one at that) who has never said anything but wonderful and amusing things about Davy. He would tell you that all the fantastic things you are hearing now are completely true.

And getting back to The Hollies, yes, hands down, The Hollies version of "Yes, I Will" over all others for me. Frankly, I never liked that song at all until I heard their version.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
elleransford Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

A few years ago, the Ugly Things fanzine did a massive epic series of articles on the Misunderstood (and their lives and projects, musical or otherwise, before and after the band), which spanned over four issues. Each article was about 40 to 50 pages long, and typeset in the mag's usual eyestrain-inducing fine print. Whenever a new issue is announced, my pals and I still joke that it's going to feature "The Misunderstood Story, Part 96."

Anyway, assuming this particular meeting of the mindless took place around 1966/7, I just skimmed over that section of the story, hoping to find further explanation of how our guys came off as stuck-up jerks. But oddly enough--and I was looking pretty carefully, albeit not reading the darn thing word-for-word yet again--I couldn't find any mention of the Hollies at all.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2012 17:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1