graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Who sings what?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Joey Post subject: Who sings what?

Hi All,
This is my first post to the Hollies forum,so I hope you excuse me if this has been asked before..I would be interested in knowing who sing;s the lead vocals on all the Hollies songs,I know that Allan Clarke sings most of them,however there are some tracks that I wasn't too sure of..SO, is there a site or list that I can refer to?
Also I recently purchased the 'Look through any window DVD and think it's brilliant!!!Love all those interviews and clips...Speaking of Look through any window,I have 2 versions on vinyl and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2nd version with the added harmonies at the end is avaliable on cd?
Thanx Heaps Smile
PostPosted:Sun Jan 29, 2012 0:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

hi Joey

Allan Clarke was the featured lead singer on a great deal - the vast majority - of Hollies singles hits in sixties & seventies, most singles feature Clarke with Clarke-Nash portions then the full Clarke-Hicks-Nash harmony vocal sound.

Some notable exceptions re the lead vocal parts were:

Searchin' - Allan Clarke takes lead vocal but Graham Nash sang the virtually 'spoken' bridge part: 'Well old Sam Sneed...' etc...up to the line '....gonna walk right down that street just like a Bulldog Drummond' (on the stereo alternate version Tony Hicks shouts 'you ain't kiddin' man...' in the background )

Just One Look - sung in close harmony mostly but Graham Nash is featured on the lines: 'I Thought I was Dreamin' but I was wrong...yeah yeah,yeah... oh but I'm gonna keep on schemin' till I can ...' then it's back to three part harmony

Here I Go Again - sung by Clarke-Hicks-Nash in full harmony

Yes I Will - Allan Clarke sings Lead with portions of the song being sung in close harmony - Graham Nash sings the concluding part of the lines: '...Love was just a game for havin' fun....' / '....I really could belong to only one...'

Look Through Any Window - Tony Hicks sings the lines: 'And you can see the little children all around' / ....'and you can see the....' (then back in full three part harmony again)

I Can't Let Go - Allan Clarke sings main Lead while on the chorus Graham Nash takes high 'counter vocal' over Clarke's voice: 'I Can't Let go baby...I'm hung up on you baby...baby please....'

On A Carousel - Graham Nash sings the intro: 'Ridin' along on a carousel tryin' to catch up to you... etc / horses chasin' cos their racin' so near yet so....then Clarke & Hicks join in with Clarke-Nash then singing the the verses and full harmony of the chorus & they join in seperately on the vocal 'round and round...' bridge section

Carrie Anne - A Clarke-Hicks-Nash vocal intro over which Graham Nash sings 'Hey Carrie Anne' - Graham Nash sings the three part chorus harmonies - Allan Clarke sings verse one, Tony Hicks sings verse two & Graham Nash sings verse three
Allan Clarke leads the bridge vocal 'well your so, so like a woman to me....' with harmonised vocal backup in places

King Midas in Reverse - Graham Nash sings the intro 'If You could only see me...'
Clarke-Nash take over at: 'I'm Not the man to run with....' and sing the verses with Clarke-Hicks-Nash on chorus and middle 8 lines; 'He's Not the Man to hold your trust...'
Allan Clarke sings 'counter vocal' lines 'All he Touches Turns to dust...' over the vocals towards the conclusion

Jennifer Eccles - Largely sung by Clarke on intro lines plus Clarke-Nash in duo with full harmony on chorus

Listen To Me - Clarke on intro lead vocal, with Clarke-Nash in duo on most lead lines plus full harmony on chorus & backup vocal 'figures' (at intro) - Nash also features on high 'counter vocal' lines: 'Please, Listen...Listen To Me' sung over the lead vocals

Allan Clarke is lead vocalist on the 1969 and most seventies singles

Sorry Suzanne is quite interesting as Clarke sings the beginning 'I Can't Make it if you leave me...'
then it's Clarke-Hicks: 'I'm Sorry Suzanne for ever ....' then Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester: '....Hurting you , you know I never wanted to...'
while there are also Clarke-Sylvester passeges: 'You Gotta believe me...' so a seemingly very simple pop song is rather more complex in terms of who sings what...

Gasoline Alley Bred - After Allan Clarke's intro Lead vocal part Terry Sylvester sings the lines: 'I'm a gonna heat me some water...put a shine upon my shoes, telephone mama keep the room above Joe's cos were comin' back comin' back to the homestead....everything is packed gettin' back to the homestead...' Clarke then resumes with Clarke-Sylvester and Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester singing much of the song - towards the end Hicks-Sylvester sing 'Gasoline Alley...' a few times over the full harmony sound..

most seventies singles are sung by Clarke with Clarke-Sylvester portions & the full Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester harmonies

Mike Rickfors sang 'The Baby'

'Magic Woman Touch' is sung by Mike Rickfors with Terry Sylvester singing the middle 8 section: 'I've Made up my mind ...' (with harmonised portions thereafter) plus 'This feelin' inside...' then again harmonised parts

I think that's the gist of the singles vocalist parts - if you want album tracks details of who besides Clarke sang songs let me know...
PostPosted:Sun Jan 29, 2012 19:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Thanx Gee,that was very informative and It's good to now know who is singing those lovely lead and magnificent harmonies. Does Allan sing Honey and Wine?
Also do you have any idea as to what CD I can listen to Look through any window with the added harmonies at the end?
Thanx once again Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Jan 30, 2012 20:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes Allan Clarke sings Lead vocal on 'Honey And Wine' (1965 - originally an EP Track hence only in mono it seems)

what two vinyl records are your 'Look Through Any Window' versions on ? - especially the 'added end harmonies' you refer to, if you let me know i will check them for you re any CD issue.

There are a couple of stereo mixes of the song besides the mono single version.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Yes thanx,, with Honey and Wine...I thought it was Allan..That's a GREAT song..Hardly played as well,,NOT sure why??
Anyway..The other version of Look through any window..is on an LP I have called 'The Hollies on an AXIS label released July 1978..on the Axis/Emi Label Number 6361..The version is in stereo,and as a result you can hear the noticeable/added harmonies at the end.They NEVER play this version on the radio..I can not find it on any CD..
Thanx Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Jan 31, 2012 20:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That's nicely observed, Joey. I bought this Australian LP in London way back, with a vague belief that I did not have Poison Ivy before, I was right. And though this song turned up later, this was a quite unique take. An AXIS (Australian) Cd came out in 1985, but did not feature LTAW. It did have Here I go again, Bus stop, Poison ivy, I'm alive, I can't let go, Stop stop stop in common with the former vinyl release. I haven't checked all versions though. But the Aussie vinyl LTAW version certainly has ooooh-harmonies at the end not heard on other at least some later CD versions. I have obviously not checked all, it would take some hours. But I guess Gee will shed more light on this.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 31, 2012 21:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Joey
That version on the Oz Axis LP just features the common stereo mix of LTAW. That is on CD all over the place. Just pick up any compilation with the stereo version and you will have it on CD. The Mono version doesn't have those harmonies on it. Just one of many stereo/mono anomolies. There is another stereo mix of LTAW out there. It is on the US only 30 Anniversary multiple set CD that Ron Furmanek did in the early 90s that has many first time stereo tracks and lots of remix tracks as well. Some Hollies fans like his mixes and some don't.
The Cd Knut mentions is just a copy of the UK album that came out with Little Bitty Pretty One and Zip A Dee Do Dah first release. The Poison Ivy on that isn't the same version as the OZ axis LP. I don't think the Oz version of Poison Ivy has ever made it to an official release yet.
Cheers
Chris
PostPosted:Wed Feb 01, 2012 0:31 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes Chris is quite correct re LTAW

I tried to get that rare 'Aussie' version of 'Poison Ivy' (with a guitar solo) included on 'The Clarke, Hicks, Nash Years' CD - it WAS a released alternate version after all - but there seems to be a Bass guitar error by Eric Haydock towards the end which seems to put them off using it again ! - so far only that Australian Axis 6361 LP 'The Hollies' features it - I think it may have been included in error on that album.

The Australians also got an alternate stereo mix of 'Mickey's Monkey' too.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 01, 2012 13:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
wishyouawish Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Not sure if Poison Ivy was actually issued in error. It hadn't been issue prior and EMI Australia asked for a copy of it to put out on that Axis compilation. They were supplied more than 1 mix and decided on the one they released.

The alternate Mickeys Monkey turned on on our original Best of The Hollies with a nice stereo mix with lead vocals centered and harmonies on the right channel. That stereo mix is on the CD Bus Stop/Stop Stop Stop (The American LPs) that came out last year in BGO.

Chris
PostPosted:Wed Feb 01, 2012 23:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic

Thank you all, I have tracked down the stereo version of LTAW with the harmonies on CD,and as a result of looking for a stereo CD version, I have come across and ordered the Clarke Hicks Nash Box Set..I am SO looking forward to hearing the remastered versions of their songs.
Very Happy
PostPosted:Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic