graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Long Cool Woman Single
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject: Long Cool Woman Single
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Can anyone answer this query? My husband has always said that he had one of the first copies of LCW and I never believed him. His mum used to be given singles from someone she knew that worked at the EMI factory. She brought LCW home and hubby, still a schoolboy then, was not impressed as he had never heard of it. Anyway, he said it must have been about a year later and he started to hear it on the radio. I was playing my Look Through Any Window DVD and he heard LCW and he reminded me of the story. So I thought I'd check it out.
I looked in the Guinness book of Hit Singles and it says LCW first entered the charts in September 1972. On the music archive on this website it says single was released in April 1972 on the Parlaphone label. Did it take 5 months to chart? On the record we have here it says 1971.
I also thought it was strange in the music archive that The Baby was released on the Polydor label in February 1972. So perhaps LCW was originally released in 1971 as our copy here states??
PostPosted:Tue Nov 08, 2011 19:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The single did not make it in the UK on first attempt, so it was released a second time after the US success.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 08, 2011 21:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks Knut. I know this is the time when Allan Clarke left the band, so it might be why LCW was pressed in 1971 but not released then.
I would be interested to find out if anyone actually bought a copy of the record in September 1972, when it got into the UK charts, whether it had 1971 or 1972 printed on it.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've been searching through the Youtube site about this record, as people sometimes show a film of actually playing the record, or just use a picture. I've come across a few different versions!
Apart from the American, Canadian, Mexican Epic versions, I've seen a Parlophone copy with a different number on it, A9946, but as the person who uploaded this was from Australia, it's probably an OZ release.
I've also seen a Polydor release with Cable Car on the B-side, so that must have been a UK release? So far, all from 1972, not 1971 like my copy.
I found another Parlophone LCW which states 1972 in the title on YT, but the picture of the record is so blurry, nothing can be seen. However, as the film progresses, someone has written "Feb 1971" right across the picture, then further on has written "UK chart no. 32, Sept 1972". A mystery! Were the records that were made in 1971 just shelved until April '72 when it was first released here, I wonder?
PostPosted:Sat Nov 26, 2011 19:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1