graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Vocal Group Hall of Fame
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject: Vocal Group Hall of Fame
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Has anyone heard of this? I hadn't. I was flicking through the TV channels, when I came across a live band on Fox News - it was The Doobie Brothers, so I stopped to watch. Various snippets of info appeared along the bottom of the screen, including that they'd been inducted into this HOF in 2004. I thought to myself that's another HOF The Hollies should be in, but I bet they're not - well I'll eat my hat - they were inducted in 2006!
http://www.vocalgroup.org/inductees/hollies.html
PostPosted:Sat Aug 27, 2011 18:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Not trying to upset any of the sincere American Hollies fans...whom we acknowledge & respect greatly of course....

But it's yet another typical 'American' bias view inaccurate bio of the Hollies History ... as usual.

Their overseas hits around the world continued on well into the seventies, while their MASSIVE UK chart success is only given scant reference....

So many American music writers (NOT ALL Americans I hasten to add !! ) seem to think they are the ONLY important country in the world....and their charts are the only ones that matter....which is complete nonsense !

The Hollies are a BRITISH Band....and their British chart record comes first as far as I am concerned...and their European, Australian & New Zealand, South American, African, plus Eastern successes are JUST as important as any USA success as far as I'm concerned....!

I would equally expect any other countries Hollies fans to put THEIR own countries Hollies chart history first too of course....say in Germany, France, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, etc....whatever

Frankly I'm for one now getting quite fed up with SOME American 'know all' music writers trying to TELL US about OUR British bands.... (often their accounts are full of inacurracies re the group's stories & music too !)

.....would they like it if we started pointing out all THEIR groups this, that & whatever....?

as I said this is NOT aimed at the many decent American Hollies fans of course....!
PostPosted:Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was just glad they had been considered at all, as they usually fall under the radar for things like this. The Hollies have been acknowledged by this organisation in the US as one of the best vocal groups in popular music history, that sounds good to me. I haven't read the bio word for word and I totally believe you Gee that you say it's incorrect (I'm certainly no expert) and apologies for bringing this to your attention!
PostPosted:Sun Aug 28, 2011 18:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

No need to apologise at all...!

I don't particularly mean the Vocal Hall of Fame lot are that guilty (tho' their bio is far too dissmissive, probably based on things they have read in other Music papers & online articles in the USA)

...more I was referring to the USA Music writers & so called critics - one guy does a blog, all he does is belittle The Hollies (& Other famous bands too - both American & British)...he's a right geeky saddo....!
PostPosted:Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
tenocpat Post subject:

As an American, I have always enjoyed the music of The Hollies. And, I have felt they never received the attention as other bands. When I look at it, they should have been given the same award as Graham Nash received from their Queen and been inducted in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame during the last century, plus a MTV "Lifetime Achievement Award" that I understand Britney Spears received and many more other awards. This group has been short-changed too much. They are a very gifted group, truly blessed with a great group of musicians and vocalists. They love what they do and give their audiences what they want. I can understand why they never returned to the United States (But, I wish they would). Believe when I say they are known here, because if you mention "Carrie Anne", "Stop Stop Stop", "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"....people (who lived the 60's and 70's) say the group is The Hollies and they liked them. We have groups here in the US that should never have made it. I congratulate these fine individuals who have made their name a household word for nearly fifty years. Thank you for listening me out.

Tenocpat

PostPosted:Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

tenocpat wrote:
As an American, I have always enjoyed the music of The Hollies. And, I have felt they never received the attention as other bands. When I look at it, they should have been given the same award as Graham Nash received from their Queen and been inducted in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame during the last century, plus a MTV "Lifetime Achievement Award" that I understand Britney Spears received and many more other awards. This group has been short-changed too much. They are a very gifted group, truly blessed with a great group of musicians and vocalists. They love what they do and give their audiences what they want. I can understand why they never returned to the United States (But, I wish they would). Believe when I say they are known here, because if you mention "Carrie Anne", "Stop Stop Stop", "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"....people (who lived the 60's and 70's) say the group is The Hollies and they liked them. We have groups here in the US that should never have made it. I congratulate these fine individuals who have made their name a household word for nearly fifty years. Thank you for listening me out.

Tenocpat

I for one wish they would include the US as part of their 50th anniversary tour.
PostPosted:Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
tenocpat wrote:

Tenocpat

I for one wish they would include the US as part of their 50th anniversary tour.

Make that TWO for including the US next year, holliesfan!!
And i couldn't agree more, tenocpat - there have been far too many 'flashes in the pan' winning awards in this country far too long. . . and it seems to me, the more controversial and volatile performers are, the more attention and reward they receive here, true talent doesn't seem to mean much. The Hollies have put in the time, honed their craft, and proven again and again they are tops in their field. We love the Hollies here!!! Please come visit us again - we want to share your BIG 50th with you!!! Very Happy

PostPosted:Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1