graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Air That I Breathe!
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject: Air That I Breathe!
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello All!

This has been confusing me for a while. When teh Air That I Breathe was released in 74 it hit number 2- unlucky not to be number 1. But when it was released in 1988 it was only number 60.

I find this strange because out of He Aint Heavy and Air it was Air that i heard the most and knew better. I know it didn't benefit from added advertising like a beer advert but surely the late 80s music listeners must have recognised Air as an amazing song.

I'll admit to not knowing Air was the Hollies until about 2 or 3 years ago but I always loved it! So beautiful. I can remember me and my sister hearing it on a TV advert and singing along to Tony's amazing guitar intro!

Ok, I think I've rambled without making a point. Sorry!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 01, 2004 22:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Peej Exclamation

I agree, The Air That I breathe is a great song and it is a shame that it never made No.1 in 1974 but No.2 is good though. But I too think it could have done better that 60 on the charts in 1988, I bet if someone like The Rolling Stones sang it, it would have probably made the top 10 in '88. The Air That I Breathe is my second favourite Hollies song and I have always loved it since I first heard 30 years ago. Wink

All The Best

Susie

Cool Smile
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Peej and Susie

Heavy and Air That I Breath... are the 2 best ever songs the Hollies recorded and it was a shame they didn't do so well 2nd time around well Air That I Breathe

He Ain't Heavy, was used as part of one of the Aid projects, not Live Aid but one of the others... as the theme music to some of the filming... it really brought out the meaning of the song... cried all the way through Embarassed

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If my memory serves me well, "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" was adopted by the New York City Police Department as the anthem to their fallen comrades who lost their lives in the 9/11 Twin Towers tragedy. The Osmond Brothers and Bill Medley(late of the Righteous Brothers) also covered the song. Needless to say we know who had the best version.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It just goes to show how great a recording the Hollies did... Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 18:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

there are a quite a few coverversions around, from "Heavy..." just to name a few, done by: Neil Diamond, Cher, Olivia Newton John, B.J. Thomas
Olivia Newton John also sang "The Air..." and Albert Hammond of course. It`s a pity the song wasn`t written by the Hollies, but then you must have the skills to recognize that a song might become yours and what you can make of it.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 02, 2004 19:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Peej,
I'm very fond of the "Air that I breathe" not only is it a great song but it was the very first Hollies music clip I taped off the telly way back in 1983.
The band was on Solid Gold an American music show. Now with Heavy, the Hollies have the best version by a country mile.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Holliesfan Exclamation

You say that a few others sang He Ain't Heavy, well The Hollies had the original and best version ever. Smile And I've also heard The Air That I Breathe sung by other people as well but none of them match up to Our Boys' version (which was also the original). Very Happy

All The Best

Susie

Razz Wink
PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:16 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
derek Post subject: AIR THAT I BREATHE

I have been trying to play Tony Hicks lead guitar parts on Air That I Breathe but cannot really work them out. Does anyone know them or know where I can find them written out ? Thanks.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

HI Derek

If you go www.bgarnett.co.uk/lightman... I think Geoff has some guitar chords from Hollies music on his page... just click on the side bar menu... I THINK it's Hollies music but you shouldn't have too much bother finding it... Hope you find it.

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 23:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Derek,

try to ask Geoff directly, as he also has on his link site one link to a tribute band called "Just One Look". Unfortunately on that page there are no email addresses of the members given, but maybe Geoff knows this band, they have "The Air..." in their setlist and should know how to play the solo.

Susie, just by the way, "The Air.." was definitely not an original Hollies song. Albert Hammond has part of the writer's claim and released it - as far as I know - 1970, four years before the Hollies did.

Greetings to all
PostPosted:Thu Mar 04, 2004 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Gina

If anyone can get the info... that's our Geoff...

He seems to know everything there is.. I'll ask him if he can help out.. which if he can I know he will.... Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Thu Mar 04, 2004 22:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gina Exclamation

I didn't know that there was another version of The Air That I Breathe before The Hollies did it. Confused According to a music book I have The Hollies did Air... and then a few people after them. So that's why I thought they had they original. One thing is for sure though The Hollies had the best ever version of The Air That I Breathe. Cool

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Razz
PostPosted:Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anders99 Post subject: Air that I Breathe

Hello everybody,

The song was originally on Albert Hammond's LP "It Never Rains in Southern California" from 1972. I believe that also Phil Everly's version was prior to the Hollies.

Anders Thelin
Örebro
Sweden
PostPosted:Thu Jun 24, 2004 13:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic