graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » 6-CD Hollies Box released by EMI in May 2011
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

elleransford wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
elleransford wrote:

Refresh my memory...what BBC stuff is on "Long Road Home"? I only recall some tracks recorded in Stockholm, "Times They are a-Changin'" from this show, and the "Live Hits" album being on there--unless you're speaking of a more underground box set of which I'm not aware.

I simply mean the live recordings from the Nash era on the box set disc (these performances also appear of several of the more widely distributed bootleg discs) that also contains the Hollies Live Hits album.

I was simply assuming that they were recorded for use by the BBC, just like the many youtube performances that litter the Internet.

Apparently they were done for a Swedish Radio program entitled "Popgaster i Stockholm," or "Popguests in Stockholm."

Y'know what does sound a little "canned" to me on the Lewisham tracks? Some of the screaming. Not individually audible things like the hormonal shouts for "Toneeeee" in between songs, but some of the en masse wailing sounds like it could have been dubbed in from a Beatles show or something. I'm probably wrong and I'm certainly not implying that these tracks aren't live recordings...just saying that the screaming noises have a certain over-the-top yet generic quality to me.

That was not what came to my mind when I first heard the tracks, I certainly didn't think the crowd noise was dubbed, if I was there I would have screamed then fainted! Embarassed Maybe the Hollies told the crowd that the concert was going to be filmed so they screamed more.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shindig! Quarterly magazine review gives the box set a "Star pick" sign. Here's an exerpt from the text:

"But it's on their original tunes where The Hollies really shone.

...and not just the hits. Tracks like "So lonely", "Put yourself in my place", "What's wrong with the way I live", "When you're light's turned on", "Would you believe" and the exquisite "Wings", among many others, are equal to, or better than, anything they did that lit up the charts.

...If you already have a comprehensive Hollies hits package and think that's enough for you, think again."

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

For me this was a good purchase. I had 90% of the recordings but to have all singles till 1968 and the first seven albums in a CD box looking like a double-disc set is really great.
There were some tracks I didn't have then, too. The EP tracks and the songs sung in French and the concert, of course.
So, good to have it.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Just got my 6 cd collection from ebay, great to have all this era in one box set.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I have been listening to the 6 cd set and really enjoying the music, one thing I'm surprised just how rockier the band was in the early 60's. Some of the songs I don't recall hearing before. The set starts off with one of my favourite Hollies songs "Whole world over" one song I have enjoyed is When I'm not There, what a classic early 60's sound.
Love the Live at Lewisham set,funny most of the time I was in the UK I stayed in Lewisham, sadly it was 43 years too late.
Don't know what the chances are but a Clarke, Hicks, Sylvester and Elliott box set would be great.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Page 6 of 6