The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Worst Hollies song
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: Worst Hollies song
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
Just for a change, what is your worst Hollies song, what about a top/bottom five.

1. Lucille - I just hate that song, does not matter who ever sings it.
2. Be with you - nice harmonies but so boring
3. Purple Rain - not a lover of Prince songs
4. Just one look - From "what goes around" stuffed a good song, too slow
5. Cable Car - Too slow, sorry Terry

This is not an anti Hollies topic but with the band recording so many songs over the years only a fool would say he likes them all. I have heard Tony saying he does not like "I'm down" so if it's good enough for him to have his pick then why don't you.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:18 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well quite frankly Anthony, I can only think of one at the moment and that's 'Wiggle That Wotsit' That was damnable. 'When I'm Your's' I've always felt was a bit of a drag as well when I think about it.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I like 99% of Hollies songs but the ones that I'm not to crazy about are

The Baby--I don't know why but I have always hated this song from the start
Just One Look--from what goes around, to use Anthony's words, too slow
Lucille--Just doesn't do anything for me
Wheels On Fire--No Reason, I just don't like the song (and Bob Dylan's version is worse)

Sorry I can't think of a 5th song, if I do think of anymore songs I don't like I will let you know.

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Cool
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:31 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Hollies recordings to burn
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Baby, When 'm Yours - the worst Hollies song? You lot should be shot Wink

I'll go for You Love 'Cos You Like It, Pegasus or Cos You Like To Love Me: Sorry Mr Hicks - the first one is just twee, the second one might have been better if someone else sang it Shocked and the third is an insult to the A-side.

I'm not a 'Peg-ass-usss the fly-ing hoase' fan!
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 19:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
I just love "Wiggle that Watsit", but do agree with "When I'm your's" that's a mega drag. Never liked the Baby at first but now I'm a fan.
Now James lets hope you don't pick the song list for when the Hollies tour Australia, I would love to see Tony do a set with Pegasus, Too young and a few of his other songs.
One thing we can never say is all their songs sound alike.
Thanks all

PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2004 23:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love 'Wiggle That Wotsit' as well Anthony, it is in my opinion a very catchy song and my favourite track on the Russian Roulette album. Smile

And James, I have to disagree with you on 'Cos You Like To Love Me', I love that song as much as its 'A' side, 'He Ain't Heavy'. Very Happy

All The Best

Susie

Laughing Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 0:46 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm not too fond of 'Maker'. Anthony! Cable Car indeed!. I like that one.

PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I agree Kathy, I'm quite partial to 'Cable Car' myself. It's a great song and Terry sounds very good on it. Smile He has an excellent voice.

All The Best

Susie

Razz Smile
PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

What varied likes and dislikes we all have. I would like to say that I like The Hollies singing any song; I love When I'm Yours, but would give Caracas a miss.

Terry
PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Terry, that's it, you cannot really talk of "worst song", it's a matter of like or dislike. For me Jennifer Eccles will cover the first three places, and uh, that one is played in every concert :evil: Neither does Cable Car belong to my favourites and also could renounce to both Lucies, listening to the one you need a handkerchief, and Rubber Lucy I just don`t like, no special reason. Hm, makes it six, ok, just the two first places for Miss Eccles...
PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 13:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
AB Post subject: Hollies tracks I dislike

Hi Everyone,

Got me thinking about tracks I don't like or don't really listen to. Well I've never really liked Stewball and I have never understood what made the band record Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. But the more I think about it there really aren't that many tracks I don't like.

Bye for now

AB
PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2004 18:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Worst Hollies Song
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

There aren't many Hollies' songs that I don't like and I can only think of two. Draggin' My Heels is one of them. It just does not have the Hollies' 'trademark' in my opinion although it did feature quite regulatly in the earlier concerts. The other one is Midnight Shift from the Buddy Holly album. I always thought there were much better songs to include on the album instead of that one. That's only my view. I'm sure many people do like these songs.
PostPosted:Mon Apr 12, 2004 20:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hallo everybody!

Some songs that I don't like are only ruined by the horns or flute arrangements made by outside persons.
Why did they allow those horrible horns on the Hollies Sing Dylan album? Songs like Blowing In The Wind, Just Like A Woman and Mighty Quinn (!!!!!) are totally ruined by them. It sounds sooooooooooo bad. The album could have been one of my absolute favourites because apart from the horns they did a great job. Nearly every song they recorded for it is better than any other version I've heard before. And they did change a lot with the songs.
The same goes for other songs like You Love 'Cos You Like It (even without those flutes or whatever it is, it would be horrible but with it it's just murder), What Went Wrong (baaaah), and that solo on The Games We Play.

Apart from the horns the worst songs are in my opinion:
1. You Love 'cos You Like It
2. Just One Look (on the What Goes Around LP)
3. Jennifer Eccles (Those lalalas are terribly bad, I can't stand them, even when Tony plays the solo they sing that. Instead of the lalalas they should have used only the guitarsolo)
4. Carrie Ann (they had so much better songs in 1967, why did they put this one out as a single? It should have been a b-side)

And I'm not a fan of the Buddy Holly album. I really hoped for more. A lot of the songs on that are not in their ideal form, they could have done much better with them. And they should have rocked a lot more on this album - they had the perfect songs for that but they didn't use them as they could.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 18, 2004 13:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Marky J Post subject:

For me...it's "Please Let Me Please." How that song got on an album and "Not That Way At All" didn't is beyond me.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 22, 2004 14:19 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Please Let Me Please - one of my favourites.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 22, 2004 21:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 1 of 5