graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies songs with mono/stereo musical differences
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Hollies songs with mono/stereo musical differences
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm trying to create a list of Hollies songs with audible musical differences on the mono & stereo mixes. Here's some that I know of:

1.Stay(the guitar solo was a live-during-mixdown overdub, and so the solo was performed twice; once for the mono version, and again for the stereo version. Allan Clarke also added a vocal overdub which doubles his lead vocal, and this is only in the mono mix)

2.Too Many People(the explosion & sound effects towards the end of the song are only in the mono mix)

3.Yes I Will(the mono single version has a live-during-mixdown overdub which doubles the lead guitar, and this overdub is, of course, not included in the 1993 stereo mix)

4.Like Every time Before
(Tony's lead guitar was overdubbed live during mono mixdown, so the lead guitar is not included in the 1993 stereo mix)

And (uncomfirmed), it has been said that for either "We're Alive" & "Kill Me Quick", the 1993 stereo mixes(the mixes offered on CD) make use of overdubs present on the 4-track tapes which were not used in the original mono single mixes, as issued on "Parlophon"(spelling is correct, Italian Parlophone)

Do you fans know of any other mono/stereo musical differences?
PostPosted:Mon Apr 04, 2011 21:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lots of cases of this, as often the mono and stereo mixes were created totally independent of one another from the master tapes.

Certainly, the album Butterfly will stand out in this area. Give it a listen, and see what I mean.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 05, 2011 0:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Here's some off hand....

'Little Lover' has a guitar intro in stereo that is absent in mono (check the order of verses sung too).

Nash's falsetto far more in evidence in Stereo to Mono versions of 'Talkin' Bout You' (due to alternating mixes)

'I've Got A Way of My Own' - 'B' side version differs to LP version

I Can't Let Go' - stereo version 'goes to mono' for 5 seconds

'That's My Desire' has backup vocals ('Ba Ba Ba Ba...') far more prominent during 'bridge' section in Stereo compared to mono.

'Down The Line' fades out quicker in stereo to mono....which has extra vocal line heard at the fade...

'Lawdy Miss Clawdy' in stereo has a 'mistake' (Clarke comes in too quick on Harmonica - someone shouts: 'Not Yet !'- the harmonica abruptly ceases....then re-commences) - in mono the 'error' has been completely mixed out.

Much more echo & 'depth' on the drumming on mono 'Fortune Teller' compared to stereo version.

'It's You' sounds far more powerful as the mono 'B' side version compared to either stereo or mono LP versions.

'Clown' sounds 'deeper and more dramatic' in mono compared to stereo version

'Everything is Sunshine' - the tinkling piano is much louder in mono compared to stereo version.

'All The World is Love' - the 1967 mono 'B' side version much more powerful with electric lead guitar far further forward in the mix....the rare stereo version pushes electric guitar far more into the background & puts the basic backup acoustic guitar alone on one channel !

That stereo 'Like Everytime Before' minus Hicks lead guitar is earlier on the 1968 German 'The Hollies Greatest' LP (Hansa)

'Hollies Greatest' LP in mono has single version of 'Yes I Will' but in stereo the 'alternate' faster Dec 1964 first version was used.

umpteen differences on the 'Butterfly' tracks - like outro vocal comes in faster on stereo 'Dear Eloise' to mono version, plus mono bridge section has more 'depth' than in stereo - a third stereo version exists on German 'Pop Heroes' LP (Polydor) which has a complete harmonium intro put before Nash's closing vocal on the outro as well.

'birds and waterfall' intro and outro to 'Wishyouawish' in mono....but only a waterfall intro in stereo...with no effects on the outro in stereo - Brass is louder in mono too.

Brass accompaniment sounds different due to mixing between Mono & Stereo 'Charlie And Fred'

'seagulls' in different places on mono to stereo 'Postcard'

'Phaseing and panning' effects come in differently on intro and at instrumental beak and outro on mono to stereo 'Try it' - also there is a rare demo version on a Mexican EP .

'Elevated Observations ?' differs mono to stereo

differing effects on Nash's voice in stereo to mono on 'Butterfly'

Harmonies sound clearer in Mono 'The Times they Are A Changin' compared to stereo version.

'Mighty Quinn' has much sharper Military style drumming on the German 'Greatest Hits vol 2' stereo LP compared to UK 'Sing Dylan' LP mono or stereo versions.

RECORD COMPANY ERRORS:
Some 'Hollies Sing Dylan' (UK) vinyl copies mistakenly have a stereo 'side one' (YEX) pressed to a mono 'side two' (XEX) tho' listed on label & sleeve as 'stereo PCS 7088.- the YEX and XEX can be found pressed on the run out groove section in the middle

some copies of '20 Golden Greats' (UK) have a mono version of Stop Stop Stop' by mistake.

hope this helps...
PostPosted:Tue Apr 05, 2011 14:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic