The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Terry Sylvester
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dawn D wrote:
Thanks for the clips Sylvia. I'm going to see this show in May, what a long tour!
I must admit after seeing the clips, I'm so glad Bobby and Tony, Peter, Ray, Ian and Steve are still touring for us Very Happy

Me too... but it was nice seeing Terry and he seemed to be very relaxed and really popular with the audience, probably because he's not toured for 30 years! Clearly the beautiful Hollies' harmonies weren't possible but Vanity Fare are good at backing the soloists, although as usual, Dave Berry had his own guitarist too.

I know I saw them only four days into the tour and there hasn't been much rehearsing (according to Vanity Fare, who have been very busy gigging around Kent) so I can imagine that a few more days into the tour will see it getting even better and the finale looks fun and like a jamming session for a few minutes! Laughing ...Agneta, I guess Terry didn't do Indian Girl as time was limited with so many acts on and the Hollies' songs are more well known!
PostPosted:Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Agneta wrote:
Thanks for the clips!
It was very nice to see Terry and hear him sing all those Hollies songs. Very Happy
But I would have loved to hear him sing Indian Girl as well!

Ditto Agneta and so much more . I am so looking forward to seeing Terry next week.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Carrie Anne wrote:
Agneta wrote:
Thanks for the clips!
It was very nice to see Terry and hear him sing all those Hollies songs. Very Happy
But I would have loved to hear him sing Indian Girl as well!

Ditto Agneta and so much more . I am so looking forward to seeing Terry next week.

I hope you enjoy the show Carrie Anne and get to chat with the extremely amiable Terry afterwards (if you want to) as he was just so happy to be part of the SSS show and he was very popular with the Scottish audience, as was Chris Farlowe, who said he'll be 71 years old later this year!

Everyone came out for a chat, pics etc and Wayne Fontana and Chris Farlowe came out in the interval as well as afterwards and they weren't in any hurry to get away, but perhaps because they had a day off the next day!
PostPosted:Sun Mar 06, 2011 14:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Here's an interview that was done with Terry prior to the start of the current tour!

Sixties stars still strutting their stuff

NOW in its 26th year, the Solid Silver 60s Show has proved itself to be the best 1960s package revue ever, and this year will be one of the biggest, with 68 performances on 57 dates. This year’s extravaganza kicked off in Aberdeen last night and winds up in Oxford on May 26. In between, the show will play all around England, Scotland and Wales and is sure to thrill fans of the music of that decade.

So enjoyable are the tours that some of the stars keep coming back to appear. This year is no exception, with Dave Berry (The Crying Game, Little Things), Chris Farlowe (Out of Time), Wayne Fontana (Pamela Pamela, Game of Love) and Vanity Fare (Early in the Morning, I Live For The Sun) all reappearing. Special guests this year are The Merseybeats (Don’t Turn Around, Wishin’ and Hopin’).

This year, though, promises to be extra special because touring the UK for the first time in 30 years is Terry Sylvester – the man who replaced Graham Nash in The Hollies in 1968. Speaking from his Florida home, Terry is wildly enthusiastic about taking part in the tour, despite the weather.

With his still-apparent Scouse accent (he hails from Liverpool and was a member of The Swinging Blue Jeans before joining The Hollies) he said: “It’s chucking it down with rain at the moment; it makes me feel like I’m at home in England. After leaving The Hollies in 1981, I used to mainly tour the Continent in the 80s and 90s, and even though I come back to Britain quite often, I haven’t toured my homeland since the early 80s.”

So, how did the idea of joining the Solid Silver 60s Show come about?

“It really came out of the blue and the negotiations started about six months ago. I do quite a lot of shows in America with the likes of Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits) and on one of these I was sharing a dressing room with John Walker, of The Walker Brothers. He had just done one of the tours and asked me if I had ever done one and he said he thought I’d be perfect. In the end, he set it all up.”

Terry, whose first recording session with The Hollies was to record the number 3 hit Sorry Suzanne, is looking forward to the tour for several reasons. “It’s gonna be fantastic,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to seeing the fans and some family; it’ll be fun and I’ve already had some e-mails to my website. The tour is quite a lengthy one compared with his dates in the US. In America, I do about 50 dates a year, but the place is so vast that I usually get to a venue the day before the show, and then I might stay on afterwards, so with 50 dates it works out that I’m away for about 120 days a year in total. With the Solid Silver 60s tour, I’ll be away for three months. You have to be up for it; it’s exciting. I love my life and I love singing.”

“We will all be doing our well-known hits, and the four solo singers will be backed by Vanity Fare. I’ve never worked with them before, but everyone tells me that they’re superb. I’ve only got about 20 minutes in the show, but I’ll be singing some of the hits I was involved with, plus a few surprises. In a way, the audiences decide what you play.”

Terry’s now 64, but he’s still as enthusiastic about performing. “When I was in The Swinging Blue Jeans, we used to sing When I’m 64 on stage. Who would have thought that I’d still be singing at that age?”

Terry also says that he doesn’t get nervous. “No, never. It’s just great to get out there.”

He has had many highlights in his career, but one of the things that gives him the most pride was when he was (with The Hollies) inducted into The Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame.

“I’m only the fifth Liverpudlian to be inducted; I have the statuette I was given in front of me. When I flew home, I wasn’t allowed to have it with me in the cabin and I had to put it in my luggage in the hold.”

With such a line-up, it looks like The Solid Silver 60s Show will continue for a good while yet. Founder and creator of the show Derek Nicol sums it up: “As long as the punters keep coming and we can promise a great show, we’ll keep delivering.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2101453?UserKey=#ixzz1GitjUY2n
PostPosted:Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2