graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Stay With The Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject: Stay With The Hollies
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I got a copy of this album in July this year, albeit a digitally remastered CD, so it was the first time I had heard the album all the way through. Obviously I have heard most of the tracks at one time or other. I like it very much. I think anyone can tell which era of music it comes from, it's very up-to-date of that time. Listening to it now, in the 21st century, the only 'old fashioned' sounds are in Mr. Moonlight, when the tempo changes half way through, and the awful twiddly dee start of Rockin' Robin! Apart from that, to me, the rest could be played any time.
Stay has to be my favourite, that is a timeless classic.
Next would be Little Lover, this is a great Hollies' own song and proves they were heading in the right direction, and would have encouraged fans to want to hear more.
My next favourites are Whatcha Gonna Do Bout It, You Better Move On, Baby Don't Cry & What Kind of Girl Are You. I also really like It's Only Make Believe. Their version of Lucille is also good. My least favourites are Mr Moonlight, Memphis and Candy Man and I think it's probably because I've heard so many other versions. I expect if I had bought this album in 1964 I would have loved it all!
Something I found strange? (is that the word?) the group line up in the liner notes reads: Graham Nash: Leader, rhythm guitar and vocals. I assumed Allan Clarke would have been the 'leader'?
PostPosted:Thu Dec 16, 2010 14:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: Re: Stay With The Hollies
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dawn D wrote:
Something I found strange? (is that the word?) the group line up in the liner notes reads: Graham Nash: Leader, rhythm guitar and vocals. I assumed Allan Clarke would have been the 'leader'?

I think 'leader' in this context meant he was the spokesman of the group which he was.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 16, 2010 21:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Early on Graham Nash was very much their Leader - and by the group's own wishes, Nash was not only co-founder, but band spokesman and he encouraged them to get songwriting plus played a major role in shaping the band re them forming Gralto Music Limited etc...

plus Nash largely 'Talked' Hicks into joining The Hollies...and can be heard 'counting them in'...and talking to Producer Ron Richards in 'studio chatter' on sixties tracks...

Allan Clarke was not their leader....surprising for such a magnificent voice & central group figure...probably as he was a very modest indeed quiet guy....he loved to sing but by his own admission was quite happy to follow Nash's ideas...

- probably in retrospect they had relied too much on Graham as the 'Public Hollie' for his later departure hit them very hard upsetting the actual 'group balance' considerably , despite getting an excellent replacement band member in ....as Clarke, Hicks, & Elliott ('The Hollies Limited') really had to then become more outgoing as band figures...
PostPosted:Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the info Katdowl and Gee. I think that must have been a unique situation? I guess the media would have automatically gone to Allan first, so by stating upfront that Graham was the 'leader' made things easier all round.
PostPosted:Sun Dec 19, 2010 19:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1