graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Allan Clarke
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Allan Clarke
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I just read a review of the Local Hero soundtrack. The writer credits the Alan Clark writing with Mark Knopfler as being the same Allan Clarke of the Hollies. This can't possibly be true, could it? Besides the different spelling of the name I've never heard of Allan collaborating on this soundtrack. I think the Local Hero movie came roughly a little before the Nash reunion but as I remember Allan was already back in the group.

Also, for the first time I've see a cd of 'My Real Name is Arold' is available. Unfortunately it didn't list tracks so I don't know if it contains bonus tracks like "Coward by Name', which would be a nice inclusion. I'd like to see a track listing before I purchase it. Although listed on Amazon there was no information at all on the release.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: Re: Allan Clarke
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

dcpurcell wrote:
I just read a review of the Local Hero soundtrack. The writer credits the Alan Clark writing with Mark Knopfler as being the same Allan Clarke of the Hollies. This can't possibly be true, could it? Besides the different spelling of the name I've never heard of Allan collaborating on this soundtrack. I think the Local Hero movie came roughly a little before the Nash reunion but as I remember Allan was already back in the group.

That Alan Clark is the bassist from Dire Straits not our Allan.
PostPosted:Mon Oct 11, 2010 20:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It must be the Magic Records CD version OF "My Real Name". It's the only one I know of. BUT: The sound quality is almost as bad as "Out On The Road" and the only bonus track is (again) "Oh Granny" Allan singing lead - the bonus track we also have on Magic's "Romany".
Why "Coward By Name" has been left out - I don't know.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 12, 2010 13:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Speaking of Allan Clarke, can anyone tell me who the Hollies band personnel were as of the date of his retirement? Also, when was his last public performance as a member of the group?
PostPosted:Tue Nov 16, 2010 23:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi SpartyScott,

From memory (and it's not as good as it was!), I think the line-up was Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks, Bobby Elliott, Alan Coates, Ray Stiles and Ian Parker.

I'm sure Allan's last gig was at The Royal, Hanley on Saturday 27th November 1999.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure other fans will soon correct me.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Sounds correct. My friend Tom (who helped me drive the Hollies in Oslo) was in fact at that show. And it turned out to be his last with the Hollies.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 17, 2010 17:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Spot on John.

I held the stage door open to let Allan out of the theatre and that is the last time I saw him.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Wed Nov 17, 2010 23:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

How sad that sounds!! Sad
Did he actually know at this point that this would be his last performance with The Hollies ??? Then it must have been very sad for him, as well. The end of an important chapter in The Hollies history book.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 20, 2010 14:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Looking at the tour reviews for 1999 on this site, someone wrote a review for Hanley, saying there was speculation it was Allan's last appearance. I saw The Hollies a couple of weeks earlier and had no idea that was about to happen. But I do remember having a conversation at the time that Allan's voice was not at his usual best. Just assumed he had a sore throat or something,
PostPosted:Tue Nov 23, 2010 18:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

hollies wrote:
Spot on John.

I held the stage door open to let Allan out of the theatre and that is the last time I saw him.

Totally amazing !!! My friend and I were blessed to get second row tickets due to a cancellation in 1997 at The Palace Theatre in Manchester - It was my first Hollies Gig and unfortunately my last where I would see the wonderful Allan Clarke fronting the iconic band - Great memories !!!
PostPosted:Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1